Camera Angle - Help Needed.

Is there anything I can do about the awful, awful camera angle on the Xbox console? I bought this game yesterday and am gutted. I feel like I am looking at the floor, not ahead and up front. It really does suck big time. The game looks awesome, but is unplayable on this view for me. I cant play whilst screaming at the TV in complete frustration. Can settings be changed? I cant believe they let this game go, with such a camera angle. Ridiculous.

Is there anything I can do about the awful, awful camera angle on the Xbox console? I bought this game yesterday and am gutted. I feel like I am looking at the floor, not ahead and up front. It really does suck big time. The game looks awesome, but is unplayable on this view for me. I cant play whilst screaming at the TV in complete frustration. Can settings be changed? I cant believe they let this game go, with such a camera angle. Ridiculous.

Troll or no, welcome to the club. You got ripped off. DEAL. WITH. IT. :)

The view tilts slightly up if you put the cursor to the bottom (or the top, I can't remember) of the screen. I'm not sure what it'd be on the consoles.

But yes, the view is never going to be like a 1st person or over-the-shoulder 3rd person sort of view. They didn't make skyboxes or something like that (there's more info on that in other threads debating camera) so if you tilted it too much there'd be no sky...

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't might the angle, I'm used to such from other games. But I wouldn't mind a bigger zoom-out option.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While I think the camera needs to be more zoomed out.... What?

Is this your first time playing a top down/iso game?

I prefer an angle like this vastly to a third person one. Its actually one of my main gripes with Witcher 2.

Edited by C2B

*facepalm* The camera issues are present on ALL SYSTEMS.

The view tilts slightly up if you put the cursor to the bottom (or the top, I can't remember) of the screen. I'm not sure what it'd be on the consoles.

But yes, the view is never going to be like a 1st person or over-the-shoulder 3rd person sort of view. They didn't make skyboxes or something like that (there's more info on that in other threads debating camera) so if you tilted it too much there'd be no sky...

. . .

...or that you can see through objects because - if the game is natively designed as top-down-viewed - there may be no textures on the ground side of some objects (or any default/debug texture maybe).

And the performance of course...: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showt...p;#entry1123320

When i remind similar complaints in DS1/DS2 it was basically a performance problem too - lower camera angles, higher camera/zoom-out or pushed-back fog had an instant impact on the frame rate.

Meanwhile PCs got (much) stronger so it shouldn't be an performance problem anymore. Nonetheless there is sometimes still a visibility related map problem - the trigger placement. I'm not sure how it works in DS3, but in DS1/DS2 some triggers (as soon as loaded/visible on the map) assume eg. the player to be within a certain range, and if you change the sight/loading range now such triggers eventually don't work as they should.

So if variable sight/loading ranges haven't been considered from the beginning, it might cause afterwards a lot of extra work for the QA...

However a 'use-it-at-your-own-risk' setting to tweak the camera distance/angle (in the game options or in a config file) surely would help to make the game more attractive. At least with the camera perspective seen so far i wouldn't be happy neither.

Troll? Oh yes, because I bought a game and dared to come on the dev forums, and complain instead of kissing butt. Ripped off, yep, thats how I feel. I just dont get how anyone can make such a gorgeous looking game, but lack the brain cells to give it a go, before they put it out for sale? Again, ridiculous.

Troll? Oh yes, because I bought a game and dared to come on the dev forums, and complain instead of kissing butt. Ripped off, yep, thats how I feel. I just dont get how anyone can make such a gorgeous looking game, but lack the brain cells to give it a go, before they put it out for sale? Again, ridiculous.

I have no problem playing with the camera angle (solo). Theres nothing gamebreaking about it. Its not optimal though.

Also again, if I understand you right you want a third person action game? Did you never play a top down/iso game if this is such an alien concept to you?

While I think the camera needs to be more zoomed out.... What?

Is this your first time playing a top down/iso game?

I prefer an angle like this vastly to a third person one. Its actually one of my main gripes with Witcher 2.

Having looked about on a few forums, sites etc and after speaking to a few people, Im not the only one who thinks this sucks. I have played many top down games , ON PC. I bought this for console, and its awful.

I have no problem playing with the camera angle (solo). Theres nothing gamebreaking about it. Its not optimal though.

Also again, if I understand you right you want a third person action game? Did you never play a top down/iso game if this is such an alien concept to you?

I want the game I bought, but to be able to play without feeling im looking at the floor. A few inches up and further forward would be fine. It feels very awkward, takes away from immersion in the game, and Im not the only console player to say so. Alien concept? Whatever dude. Again, I bought this for my console, not for my PC.

I want the game I bought, but to be able to play without feeling im looking at the floor. A few inches up and further forward would be fine. It feels very awkward, takes away from immersion in the game, and Im not the only console player to say so. Alien concept? Whatever dude. Again, I bought this for my console, not for my PC.

Yes, and also not every console player.

There have been tons of top down games on consoles. Dark Alliance where this game draws heavily from for example.

Edit: I actually would want to have a "real" top down view. Even less tilt and further zoomed out. But so differ opinions on that.

Edited by C2B

Have you never played a top down game? The camera is angled towards the floor because that's the angle that enables the combat and controls. The ability to look ahead would be nothing other than cosmetic, and would only serve to make the game artificially harder. The game is played on a 2d surface and anything that needlessly limits your ability to view that plane is a waste of resources.

This is akin to complaining about a first person shooter due to it not allowing the player to play in third person view.

The camera has a few issues, most notably the maximum distance to the ground and the tendency to be zoomed in by scenery in certain maps (the Glitterdelve caves are the biggest culprit here, I think). The lack of an ability to look ahead is not an issue.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The lack of an ability to look ahead is not an issue.

...for you. It's not an issue... for you. :)

I would thoroughly enjoy this game more if I were able to find a way to look forward when I want to. I know there are no sky boxes. I don't care. Let the sky be a black void. Let there be no ceiling. It would be no more awkward than walls disappearing when they got in the way of my field of view. Get over your contrary opinions, people! You act as though the request for camera freedom would somehow violate you. If it were implemented and you didn't like it, no one would have a gun to your head demanding that you look forward!

I disagree that this has something to do with XBOX vs PC, however. How much more wrong could you be?

This isn't a PC issue. Obsidian chose this camera view on purpose.

I seriously get irritated when people think the only games available on PC are Diablo clones and MMORPG's. Seriously F'ing annoying.

The fact that you bought this on console is not a justification in demanding the game be better. In all honestly, without trying to be a fanboy, if you buy something on a console, it is almost certainly going to be worse than it's PC counterpart. Get over it. You didn't spend as much and that's why.

ArcaneHoplite, you weren't ripped off when you bought this game. Neither was I. The free demo was available for weeks before the release of this game.

I bought this game after playing the demo and knowing full well I didn't like the camera angle. Why? IT'S A GREAT GAME. :) I like what Obsidian does.

You're not alone in disliking the camera angle, but you should try to appreciate the game for what it is for now.

I imagine someone will come out with a patch that eventually lets us idiots use the camera the way we want before too long. Until then, you got exactly what you paid for.

(edit) oh.... wait. I forgot. If a community-made mod did come out... you wouldn't be able to install it. You'd have to own the PC version. :lol::brows::wowey::dancing:

Edited by bradleypariah

I can definitely understand why other people would prefer OTS camera. I wouldn't mind it myself, even though I'd never use it during combat or anything.

Again, the pity is that due to various limitations it's very unlikely that we'll get that in DS3. What we can hope for is a higher zoom, which is really needed to make MP not so screwed up.

The lack of an ability to look ahead is not an issue.

...for you. It's not an issue... for you. :)

Then HOW is it an issue? At all?

What is the advantage?

The levels/art design/combat and so on are ALL designed for the top down perspective (which is also why it looks so good in that perspective). The game will look MUCH worse if you actually went into a similiar perspective (as pretty much shown in trailers and the dialog sequences). You probably won't see as far ahead as you think and you won't get any advantages in combat either.

Edited by C2B

Disadvantage of the game then? It should look good in either perspective and be able to support full 3rd person over the shoulder view and an isometric view. People here like to make excuses for Obsidian and you guys aren't doing them any favors. You should be encouraging them to challenge themselves. BTW Too Human has full over the shoulder 3rd person camera and a semi-iso view ... so Dyack can do it but Obsidian cannot into multiple varied camera angles? I don't see why that would be acceptable to any gamer, fan or not. We should be pushing for more options, more content, more skilled development, more legendary titles, not settling for medicroty and making excuses for the devs about their budget and time constraints.

Disadvantage of the game then? It should look good in either perspective and be able to support full 3rd person over the shoulder view and an isometric view. People here like to make excuses for Obsidian and you guys aren't doing them any favors. You should be encouraging them to challenge themselves. BTW Too Human has full over the shoulder 3rd person camera and a semi-iso view ... so Dyack can do it but Obsidian cannot into multiple varied camera angles? I don't see why that would be acceptable to any gamer, fan or not. We should be pushing for more options, more content, more skilled development, more legendary titles, not settling for medicroty and making excuses for the devs about their budget and time constraints.

That would end in mediocrity. Because you end up with the same game and too much time spent on over the top fundamentals.

And some of too humans failings are actually the result of that.

Edited by C2B

No, actually I think if Dungeon Siege 3 supported a wider variety of camera views/angles and didn't force gamers to share a screen when they are on separate machines it would go a long ways to improving the experience. I want Obsidian to do better, much better, in every aspect of their games. I was hoping DS3 might be a legendary dungeon crawler but Obsidian, like many of you fans, settled for less and it's sad.

No, actually I think if Dungeon Siege 3 supported a wider variety of camera views/angles and didn't force gamers to share a screen when they are on separate machines it would go a long ways to improving the experience. I want Obsidian to do better, much better, in every aspect of their games. I was hoping DS3 might be a legendary dungeon crawler but Obsidian, like many of you fans, settled for less and it's sad.

Yes, a game that does EVERYTHING. Because doing EVERYTHING automatically makes a game better (not worse) and is so realistic.

Less is More was something they never teached you, nah?

Edited by C2B

Less is more sometimes, not always. Works for BB King(or even white stripes for modern reference), completely changes the feel of an Orchestra. 'They' don't teach me anything brah, I teach them.

EDIT: in the case of cameras angles, more options for the players is always better I think. Even if one view is not as optimal, at least the players gets the choice. (Unless it is just unplayable of course)

Edited by MonkeyLungs

An over the shoulder camera would make the game unplayable. The game's design is dependant on the player being able to see from where attacks are coming at any given time, and attacks come from any direction. Giving the player the option to not be able to see half the playing field during combat is silly and pointless.

As far as gameplay is concerned DS3 is a 2D top down game.

Heja Sverige!!

Yes, IMO one of the problems with the game is that the camera is too close to the ground. It should be higher up.

Limiting the camera more than it already is is a bad idea, which is what the OTS people are requesting.

As for enemies attacking from off screen, the only fight where that was a problem was the Warbeast. But that boss was poorly designed, in general.

Heja Sverige!!

An over the shoulder camera would make the game unplayable. The game's design is dependant on the player being able to see from where attacks are coming at any given time, and attacks come from any direction.

I'm starting to get a clear picture of what you're thinking. You are right, the fighting in OTS view wouldn't work. That's not what I want it for. Please read on.

Limiting the camera more than it already is is a bad idea, which is what the OTS people are requesting.

You couldn't be further from the truth, my good sir.

I think for battles and such, because of how the targeting system works, it is absolutely necessary to battle while in top-down view. I completely agree with you about that. Maybe I haven't made a solid enough point about that. I don't want this game to be a 3rd-person shooter. Not at all.

I want to look forward once in a while so I can just see my surroundings when I'm exploring. It would be neat to look at stuff from that angle.

It's fine by me if other people want the camera able to zoom out more (I would even use it too once in a while).

I'm asking for FREEDOM of movement. If I got what I'm asking for, EVERYONE would be able to use the camera angle of their choosing.

This is certainly not requesting more limitation. I want everything BUT limitation.

I just want the "false bottom" of mouse movement removed. The camera, in my opinion, should bottom out just a little bit before it hits the ground. Would that mean we would see black, empty sky boxes? Yes. Don't worry about whether or not I mind seeing them. If you don't like it, don't look forward. :)

The mouse would still go up and down. Get it?

You move the mouse up and down as needed, just like you do now, but the 45-degree angle glass floor would be modified so someone could look forward when they wanted to.

***As soon as a battle arose, one would probably need to point the camera back down again and zoom out to use the targeting system effectively. I think that's the point you're trying to make, yes? I'm on your side about that.

I want to point out again, that I really like this game. I play RPG's all the time, this is the first one that has inspired my girlfriend to ask, "Can I jump in?"

I get to still have my "me time", and yet there she is on the couch with me. This is F'ing RAD.

It's fine by me if other people want the camera able to zoom out more (I would even use it too once in a while).

I'm asking for FREEDOM of movement. If I got what I'm asking for, EVERYONE would be able to use the camera angle of their choosing.

Yeah, and in the case of DSIII the attempt would be halfassed. The games art assets, Level Design, Animations and so on are just not made for it but especially created for the top down view and would look completly horrid in a lower angle (And from the low angle shots in preview material and dialouge sequences. They do) . This has actually been said too by one of the devs IIRC.

Again, I can see it as an ini solution but a direct implentation would only raise more complaints that it would solve.

Edited by C2B