Alpha Protocol won't go past launcher, Steam version

Zacc

Question

Hello,

I purchased Alpha Protocol from Steam summer sales and installed the game without problems. After installing I clicked 'Play' at Steam's game page and the AP launcher popped up with the Steam CD-key reminder window. I continued by pressing 'Play' from the AP launcher and the only thing that happened (and only on the first time) was a Steam news popup showing up. There is a process started for the AP launcher that shows up in Windows task manager but after I click the 'Play' button in the AP launcher the process disappears as does the AP launcher window and nothing else happens - no new processes started, no error messages whatsoever, nothing.

My system specs:

Win 7 Pro 64bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black edition

ATI Radeon HD4890

4 Gigs of ram

Steam-installed DirectX and PhysX (did the first time running installation when I clicked 'Play' the first time)

Tried googling for help but found only couple topics with similar issue but no solutions to the problem. I have verified the local files through Steam and tried to apply the 1.1 patch as well (the EU version of the patch says my version is already 1.1) - the game did take quite long time to load from Steam so I haven't tried a reinstall just yet. Tried running it in several compatibility modes as well as running it as an administrator, tried shutting down all firewall/anti-virus programs.. getting out of ideas here ;) . Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Having this problem too, have taken almost exactly the same steps and also am unable to find much to go on from google.

Specs:

Windows 7 home 32-bit

AMD Athlon II X4 620

ATI Radeon HD4650

3GB RAM

Have already redownloaded after this happened the first time - still no difference. Tried launching it through steam, and directly from the folder it's installed to.

Have already redownloaded after this happened the first time - still no difference. Tried launching it through steam, and directly from the folder it's installed to.

Yep, exactly the same here. Have done everything I've seen suggested in any forum. Please, Obsidian, how about some help here?

core 2 duol 8400 @ 3.4Ghz

4Gb ram

Radeon 5750 HD 1gb

Edited by llew

Are you trying to launch through the game's launcher or directly from APGame.exe?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Are you trying to launch through the game's launcher or directly from APGame.exe?

Neither works. If I launch directly from steam, it brings up the launcher. When I select "Play", I get a spinny Windows 7 circle-cursor for about 15 secs, then nothing.

If I just click APGame.exe, I just get the spinny cursor for 15 seconds.

I have tried running as administrator, running in XP service pack 2 compatibility mode, tried with almost all the compatibility checkboxes on or off in every conceivable arrangement. If you visit the SEGA boards, there are a number of threads at those forum that dead-end into SEGA support pages that no longer exist, also.

Finally solved it: For anyone having trouble with the Steam install of AP, follow these directions:

1) Go to your Control Panel and Uninstall Programs.

2) Uninstall nVidia PhysX

3) Launch Alpha Protocol from within steam, and it should reinstall PhysX.

This worked for me.