Anjali Voice Acting

Let me just say before I continue that I am having a blast playing DS3. This is exactly the kind of game my wife and I have been looking forward too.

Anyway, is it just me or does Anjali voice sound like a voice synthesizer? Compared to most of the other voices in the game Anjali's is the most mechanical and non emotional. There's gotta be a good story behind her voice. I'd for one love to hear it.

Let me just say before I continue that I am having a blast playing DS3. This is exactly the kind of game my wife and I have been looking forward too.

Anyway, is it just me or does Anjali voice sound like a voice synthesizer? Compared to most of the other voices in the game Anjali's is the most mechanical and non emotional. There's gotta be a good story behind her voice. I'd for one love to hear it.

She's an Archon. As you progress through the game you will find other Archons and they sound very similar. It's just how they talk. I have to admit I was a bit... meh about it as well. But at least it is explainable.

Right. I thought that as well at first. But, after listening to Jeyne's archon buddies talk it's clear that Anjali's voice is much different.

Agreed. The other archons do have a bit of the voice echo effect (like they're speaking in a very tiled-bathroom...) but Anjali has a word for word pacing delivery that I find somewhat.... off putting. I'm not sure if the VO actress did it deliberately or if her line readings were altered later, but to me it's fairly lifeless, and as mentioned, mechanical. Rajani (and even the Stonebridge automotons) have more emotion/pitch delivery pacing, imo. Anjali does....not. heh.

Could still be a character "thing", but even if you take out the "echo", the cadence to the words is monotone in nature. Think of how questions sound when ppl don't raise their voice slightly on the last syllable/word of the question. If she was largely raised by Odo/humans, you'd think she would have picked up some humanish speaking habits/accent. :-

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hmmm, I must be the minority here. I thought it worked well for her character.

Archons are not supposed to be of that world and I thought the performance reflected that.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Hmmm, I must be the minority here. I thought it worked well for her character.

Archons are not supposed to be of that world and I thought the performance reflected that.

No. I doubt you are the minority. In fact if you take psychology, you will learn that the majority of people actually accept things for what they are and don't over analyze things. It's the minority that question things and look beyond what is given. In a way that's kinda sad, but in other ways if you think about it, it really just shows that most people have more important things to do or think about rather than dwell on things of little to no consequence.

No. I doubt you are the minority. In fact if you take psychology, you will learn that the majority of people actually accept things for what they are and don't over analyze things. It's the minority that question things and look beyond what is given. In a way that's kinda sad, but in other ways if you think about it, it really just shows that most people have more important things to do or think about rather than dwell on things of little to no consequence.

I take it you might not like movie review forums, then. Talk about a tendency to spend lots of time over-analyzing things. rofl.gif

@Achilles - I don't think 2-3 ppl remarking on one chrs. VO means you're in the minority. ;)

It's something I noticed, for my personal tastes. Doesn't stop me from playing her (twice)...but I noticed. Especially through headphones.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I take it you might not like movie review forums, then. Talk about a tendency to spend lots of time over-analyzing things. rofl.gif

I really don't get what you are getting at. Nonetheless I find your post somewhat insulting and completely off base. In fact, you don't know me, and speaking of my tendencies is both beyond your limited understanding and quite frankly obvious that you don't have very good reading comprehension.

I was explaining that he is not part of the minority, because most people just don't over-analyze things. You then go on to tell me that I over-analyze things and then find some odd correlation to movie forums? What? How do you even get that from me explaining a topic of psychology that pertains to this topic? Actually... nevermind. You just lost any amount of respect I may have had for you when you decided it was cool to go for my throat when you had no provocation or reason.

In fact, I'll just report you instead. Tired of haters and flamers.

Whoa whoa, I was only trying to be lightly humorous. Of course I don't know you, just like you don't know me.

The humor (which I guess fell totally flat...I tried to use the laughing icon to show I wasn't being "serious") wasn't that YOU over analyzed things, but that sometimes movie buffs do (which includes me, btw), and... oh nvm. Just humor failure on my part.

Last week I had Cee Lo Green thinking I seriously found him "scary" on Twitter from a casual post re: a costume he used in a performance. I guess I shall retire from attempting the funnies. I have a strange sense of humor much of the time - never very good at it anyway. :D

Edited by LadyCrimson

I really don't get what you are getting at. Nonetheless I find your post somewhat insulting and completely off base. In fact, you don't know me, and speaking of my tendencies is both beyond your limited understanding and quite frankly obvious that you don't have very good reading comprehension.

I was explaining that he is not part of the minority, because most people just don't over-analyze things. You then go on to tell me that I over-analyze things and then find some odd correlation to movie forums? What? How do you even get that from me explaining a topic of psychology that pertains to this topic? Actually... nevermind. You just lost any amount of respect I may have had for you when you decided it was cool to go for my throat when you had no provocation or reason.

In fact, I'll just report you instead. Tired of haters and flamers.

...What?...

Can we stop overreacting and just talk about the subject at hand, please?

Edited by hopfrog16

Whoa whoa, I was only trying to be lightly humorous. Of course I don't know you, just like you don't know me.

The humor (which I guess fell totally flat...I tried to use the laughing icon to show I wasn't being "serious") wasn't that YOU over analyzed things, but that sometimes movie buffs do (which includes me, btw), and... oh nvm. Just humor failure on my part.

Last week I had Cee Lo Green thinking I seriously found him "scary" on Twitter from a casual post re: a costume he used in a performance. I guess I shall retire from attempting the funnies. I have a strange sense of humor much of the time - never very good at it anyway. :D

Ah, my bad. I'm glad you explained that though. I thought you were talking about me I and I was confused as to how you made connections. Just a misunderstanding. I apologize.

Ah, my bad. I'm glad you explained that though. I thought you were talking about me I and I was confused as to how you made connections. Just a misunderstanding. I apologize.

It's all good! ;)

Conveying humor over the 'net isn't my strong skill, I could've been more clear about the tone/concept.

• 2 months later...
Right. I thought that as well at first. But, after listening to Jeyne's archon buddies talk it's clear that Anjali's voice is much different.

Agreed. The other archons do have a bit of the voice echo effect (like they're speaking in a very tiled-bathroom...) but Anjali has a word for word pacing delivery that I find somewhat.... off putting. I'm not sure if the VO actress did it deliberately or if her line readings were altered later, but to me it's fairly lifeless, and as mentioned, mechanical. Rajani (and even the Stonebridge automotons) have more emotion/pitch delivery pacing, imo. Anjali does....not. heh.

Could still be a character "thing", but even if you take out the "echo", the cadence to the words is monotone in nature. Think of how questions sound when ppl don't raise their voice slightly on the last syllable/word of the question. If she was largely raised by Odo/humans, you'd think she would have picked up some humanish speaking habits/accent. :p

For me the poor voice acting on Anjali took away most of the personality she should have. In her dialogue lines, it seems she is the "avenging" type . So I expected her to have a strong, quite agressive speaking, but her voice is quite emotionless. For me she raises her voice properly only when fighting (the "die and be judged!" speech). That

Could still be a character "thing", but even if you take out the "echo", the cadence to the words is monotone in nature. Think of how questions sound when ppl don't raise their voice slightly on the last syllable/word of the question. If she was largely raised by Odo/humans, you'd think she would have picked up some humanish speaking habits/accent. ;)

For me the poor voice acting on Anjali took away most of the personality she should have. In her dialogue lines, it seems she is the "avenging" type . So I expected her to have a strong, quite agressive speaking, but her voice is quite emotionless.

Uhmmmmm, that has absolutly nothing to do with each other. :ermm: Someone can have a quite calm persoality/raise their voice only when its emotional and still have quite harsh ideals.

Edited by C2B

Could still be a character "thing", but even if you take out the "echo", the cadence to the words is monotone in nature. Think of how questions sound when ppl don't raise their voice slightly on the last syllable/word of the question. If she was largely raised by Odo/humans, you'd think she would have picked up some humanish speaking habits/accent. ;)

For me the poor voice acting on Anjali took away most of the personality she should have. In her dialogue lines, it seems she is the "avenging" type . So I expected her to have a strong, quite agressive speaking, but her voice is quite emotionless.

Uhmmmmm, that has absolutly nothing to do with each other. :ermm: Someone can have a quite calm persoality/raise their voice only when its emotional and still have quite harsh ideals.

English is not my mother language, so maybe I might not have made myself clear...What I wanted to say is that Anjali

What bothers me is the fact that her voice does not change, regardless of the situation. She has the same voice tone when she says a mere hello or when she is (supposed to be) angry. The only situation where she has a different tone is during combat when she says "die and be judged".

What bothers me is the fact that her voice does not change, regardless of the situation. She has the same voice tone when she says a mere hello or when she is (supposed to be) angry. The only situation where she has a different tone is during combat when she says "die and be judged".

Thats kinda the point. Her whole no emotion kind of speaking is meant to portray her more alien. Its not even a stretch. Its easily controllable for most post (deadpan comedians) and there are plenty of people that have problems to express certain emotions.

I would agree though that the voice acting isn't the best. The voice actress doesn't do the best job and theres some weird effect on it which doesn't help.

Edited by C2B