DS III / IwD III (read it Obsidian guys plz)

just wanted to say that i love Dungeon Siege III!! i began playing about 5 days ago and its just marvelous.

i read some reviews and criticism and although 7-8 from 10 is nice, i think this game deserves

9 from 10. i hate those reviews what gives from 4 to 6 only, those reviewers had to be drunk

or what :thumbsup:

graphics are just beautiful, sound is awesome and there is very nice atmosphere throught the

game!!! musik is just about right and i totaly forgot to play Dragon Age games now that this is

out... :)

and finaly i hope some Obsidian representative will read THIS:

PLEASE GUYS, MAKE ICEWIND DALE III on this nice game engine, every environment is

nicely done and many of us want new game from the frozen north of the Forgotten Realms!!!

you got the rights to make it, so hop on it and do it. 4th ed. D&D isnt that bad and with

only 2 games, 1 out and 1 in development, its too small number of D&D games these days.

you know, you are the best ones to make D&D game, even it will be hack 'n' slash.

I JUST LOVE ICEWIND DALE SERIES!!!!!! :)

I wish i had my tabacco pipe

I'm not an expert on judging a game engine from playing a game, but I certainly liked what I saw. Also, tho I only have this one game to judge it by, it seems stable. ;)

Still the issue of the way one of the lighting/fog or some effect causes those weird soft lines in the background at times but other than that...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm not an expert on judging a game engine from playing a game, but I certainly liked what I saw. Also, tho I only have this one game to judge it by, it seems stable. ;)

Still the issue of the way one of the lighting/fog or some effect causes those weird soft lines in the background at times but other than that...

What platform are you playing on? I haven't noticed any odd soft line in the background. I have noticed distance blur, but that seems more like something that was intended. As far as a game engine goes. Yes it is very stable, but bugs can be generated by sloppy programming for the individual game. So kudos to Obsidian for being thorough and competent while programming the game as well as developing a top-notch engine.

Now the only thing they need to do with the engine in my eyes is to reduce the excessive system load when handling shadows. Then the engine would be 10/10.

you got the rights to make it

they do? ;) how did I miss that...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

What platform are you playing on? I haven't noticed any odd soft line in the background. I have noticed distance blur, but that seems more like something that was intended.

I'm on PC.

There was a thread on the topic during the demo release but I can't find it now (probably need new glasses...)

There were better pics of the issue in the thread (it wasn't just me) but this was the only one I put up:

http://crimsonkeep.com/wallpapers/data/med...DS3-0000013.jpg

It's a bit like the colors you see on top of an oil slick, in straight lines. Upper left corner where the fence is. Sometimes you can't see it in-game because of colors/backgrounds but other times it's fairly obvious (like a lot of the dialogue screens if you can see 'sky' behind NPC's) and causes the image to look like it's under a dirty lens or something.

Edit: Found the thread: http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...t&p=1122170

And it is probably intentional effect, but something is wrong with the effect that causes banding. It's possible one may not initially notice but once you notice it it's hard to stop noticing it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

they do? :) how did I miss that...

I'm thinking that someone else currently has the D&D and Forgotten Realms license.

However....I'd be all for them making an OGL game as a spiritual successor to the IWD series on this engine!

they do? :) how did I miss that...

Atari still has rights to D&D, but Obsidian has rights to 'Icewind Dale' name.

so they could do OGL Icewind game, or under Atari's wings proper Icewind Dale III.

Obsidian has rights to 'Icewind Dale' name.

that's news to me, when did that happen? :lol:

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Obsidian has rights to 'Icewind Dale' name.

that's news to me, when did that happen? :ermm:

i read that in two interviews with Feargus, some time ago, proly one to two years back.

I would love to see Icewind Dale 3 but not if the feature list and options for gameplay got streamlined. It would also need to be a title with heavy PC focus as the primary platform to take advantage of the complexity of the PC and only then ported to console. I say this as a console gamer. I would much rather the devs make a game very complex and intricate and have to be creative to port all the functionality to console rather than see them aim for the easiest target from the get go.

Didn't they purchase some art assets and not the actual title?

dunno that, but i know they have something and they should use it :shifty:

How it looks and plays on consoles remains to be seen. What matters is that it's a PC exclusive for now with only minor concessions to consoles (mainly the inventory). It looks terrific and plays well with K&M. Contrast that with DS3 which is a console game first, optimized for controllers, with the PC version a mere afterthought.

Don't make IWD3 on this console engine (actually, don't make IWD3 multiplatform at all!). Unless you can fix the tiny corridor maps and way-too-close fixed camera zoom, use Witcher 2 engine or something.

You want a PC engine capable of zooming out, and you're proposing the engine from a game with a very console-friendly interface (reportedly extremely enjoyable with a gamepad), coming up with a console port, and with a fixed third-person perspective :shifty: ?

Edited by Sannom

How it looks and plays on consoles remains to be seen. What matters is that it's a PC exclusive for now with only minor concessions to consoles (mainly the inventory). It looks terrific and plays well with K&M. Contrast that with DS3 which is a console game first, optimized for controllers, with the PC version a mere afterthought.

Witcher 2 works better with a controller than it works with KB&M (Though the controls work better than in DSIII at least). The UI is also geared towards that (with the pop-up radial menu)

Edited by C2B

Red Engine is pretty and all but I can't stand all the performance issues it gives me (seriously, Gamebryo had less issues than Witcher 2 for me)- Onyx looks pretty AND it's just so damn smooth and well optimised, I'll take Onyx.

I agree. I love the way things look and run on this engine. =)

Ofc Onyx runs well on your Xbox-in-a-tower PCs. The maps are tiny and cramped, textures are lowres. Devs said they didn't even create skyboxes for most of the areas - wonder why? TW2 requires a highend PC if you want to max all settings, duh.

What Onyx does better than RED engine is the seamless world without noticable loading, but it comes at a price - namely corridor maps. TW2 has quite big maps but they are split into chapters and there's the annoying fadeouts that most likely mask loading.