Blade Runner The Game

Rescator

Blade Runner The Game (by Westwood, 1997) is an awesome game.

Unfortunately Westwood is gone, and I think EA has the rights (if any currently).

The annoying thing is that the game does not run well on modern systems, it's 4:3 aspect limited, pretty much resolution locked as well.

If Obsidian used the game as guide/blueprint, kept the story/plot/characters (i.e. "the script"), used a modern 3D capable engine and taking advantage of current tech, it would be a fantastic game.

Alternatively approach Ridley Scott and use the old Blade Runner game as a example of the game/style a new game should have,

I'm sure they'd be happy to be in advisory role, Ridley might even be interested in being more involved which could mean a nice starting budget as well.

So either a modernization (I'm trying to avoid using the word "remake" here as they rarely are true to the originals),

or a brand new game with a new plot and story but in the same style as Westwood's game which is probably the best movie-to-game "adaptation" I've seen.

And why Obsidian? Because KoTOR II, Alpha Protocol, and New Vegas has shown that Obsidian can handle "dynamic" intricate plots like that of the Blade Runner game.

Edited by Rescator

Actually I agree that Obsidian could pull off an amazing Blade Runner, particularly in the vein of the '97 game. That game had one of the most dynamic plots I had ever seen, and Alpha Protocol may have been the only game I can think of that replicated that.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if Obsidian would actually be interested in doing this?

IP cost, dev cost, advertising cost

Might need a stronger IP, to be brutally honest.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Transformers.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.