Dungeon Siege???

My point is that too many people hold their own opinions as the only opinion.

Which you are seriously guilty off.

But I am really getting tired of seeing good games given bad scores based on nothing but opinion, as well as horrible games that get excellent scores that are obviously bought or given based on the name of the publisher/developer.

Let's translate here: Waaa game I liked didn't get good score, waaa game I didn't like got a good score.

And again your holding your opinion as the only option.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

And if that is your opinion then DSIII is always too lost for you to even worry about, so its time to leave these forums as Obsidian isn't going to rewrite the entire game for you.

Uh ... yeah you've overstayed yer welcome sonny, this is a tiny town and we don't want you comin' round. :bat::brows:

/pitchforks provided by Obsidian Defense Squad! :lol:

I mean they could stay here, but if the game is that horrible where its a total loss to you why are you here beyond your initial complaint anyway? If you think the game is a total loss, then post your opinion and dissatisfaction here and move on.

Otherwise you're staying here solely to be a whiny B***h and mope and moan because something didn't go entirely your way.

The rest of us are here to produce constructive well thought out ideas, in hopes the Developers catch notice of what the community wants and implement the fixes/DLC we request.

Universal things such as the Camera, Loot, and game end are about the only common complaint (other than the PC controls, which are getting fixed).

The rest of what I've seen is "WAAAAAAAAAAAH DSIII isn't a carbon copy of DSI and II WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!" So yeah, at that point cut your losses and leave if you're not going to post anything useful and just continue to suck up valuable cyber space with worthless b***hing and moaning.

If you want to produce a well thought out complaint with suggested fixes that's fine. But "this game sucks" isn't as useful as you think. It's actually useless like the majority of the posts from the whiners.

I'm all for people offering suggestions on how to improve the game, or perhaps not make the same mistakes in the next game. If you pay attention to these boards there are 3 groups of people.

1: We're happy with the game mostly, but want a few changes to make it 100% playable all around.

2: We're somewhat dissatisfied with the majority of the game, but if you fix (insert issue) the game could be salvageable.

3: We're so upset this game is a far cry from DSI and II, that we're only here to b***h and convey that fact, and nothing else useful.

Which group are you in?

Edited by Bakercompany86

He's right. If Matt-C thinks DS3 is 3/10, then 3/10's the score he should give. Why inflate it?

Of course, that's Matt-C's opinion. No more, no less. *shrug*

Opinions aside. Because 3/10 means the game is unplayable not only due to bad design but bugs and a complete failure on multiple fronts. If you are going to give a game such a low score then you really need to explain why. An example...

10 - As a rule all games should start here and then be graded on merits.

-1 - No New Game +

-1 - No Keymapping

-1 - Multiplayer camera is bad

Those are my complaints against DS3, at the moment... that sets it at a 7/10. That's passing. But there is more!

+1 - I liked the story. Short as it was I was very immersed and at the end... I craved more.

+.5 - The gameplay was solid.

+.5 - I had fun

That brings it back up to a 9/10 in my opinion, and I just illustrated why. As I said with such a low score... you really should illustrate it further. Explain why you scored it so low.

Actually reviewing video games for a living I can tell you that game reviewing is never scored like that. Most games that are reviewed are broken down by features and aspects and generally are compared to the best performer in the category. For example, DS3 would most likely be rated against and compared to Diablo 2 or maybe something more modern such as Titan Quest. In my opinion DS3 deserves a 6/10 it lacks many features that are pretty much assumed to be present in similar titles. That is a huge problem that would make the score dip down immensely. Now if Obsidian adds in persistent characters, separate cameras, separate gold, open access to modding, random loot tables for all creatures, and perhaps some random extra powerful mobs I can see that score being more around 8/10.

Edited by Falcon68

I mean they could stay here, but...

...post your opinion and dissatisfaction here and move on.

...to be a whiny B***h and mope and moan...

... what I've seen is "WAAAAAAAAAAAH DSIII isn't a carbon copy of DSI and II WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

...just continue to suck up valuable cyber space with worthless b***hing and moaning.

1: We're happy with the game mostly, but want a few changes to make it 100% playable all around.

2: We're somewhat dissatisfied with the majority of the game, but if you fix (insert issue) the game could be salvageable.

3: We're so upset this game is a far cry from DSI and II, that we're only here to b***h and convey that fact, and nothing else useful.

How dare you judge and label people?

This forum is here for any of us to voice opinions, whether you like it or not. If you disagree with our opinions

"...post your opinion" without belittling other posters. If that doesn't work for you, post a topic and call it "The Fan Club."

You'll have a cozy little group who'll worship your "well-thought-out" ideas :verymad:

The rest of us are...
Speak for yourself!

...constructive well thought out ideas...
Why don't you practice what you preach? Edited by shaver

Sweatcog: Engineering is ten percent innovation, twenty percent math, and eighty percent perspiration.

... what I've seen is "WAAAAAAAAAAAH DSIII isn't a carbon copy of DSI and II WAAAAAAAAAH!!!!"

...just continue to suck up valuable cyber space with worthless b***hing and moaning.

This forum is here for any of us to voice opinions, whether you like it or not. If you disagree with our opinions

"...post your opinion" without belittling other posters. If that doesn't work for you, post a topic and call it "The Fan Club."

You'll have a cozy little group who'll worship your "well-thought-out" ideas :verymad:

The rest of us are...
Speak for yourself!

Why don't you practice what you preach?

I've seen none of the hardcore complainers offer any suggestions on how to improve the game. Only "this game sucks" and thats the end of it.

"The rest of us" are the people who have agreed with me in many threads if you'll go look through them yourself, that the game is fine and just needs tweaking.

And as far as practicing what I preach... trying doing a little research.

The rest of us are...
Speak for yourself!

I've seen none of the hardcore complainers offer any suggestions on how to improve the game. Only "this game sucks" and thats the end of it.

"The rest of us" are the people who have agreed with me in many threads if you'll go look through them yourself, that the game is fine and just needs tweaking.

Actually, I think I've supported and voiced for some specific items of change.

3/10 is a fine opinion for someone to have. If that's what they think of the game, let them have it.

A 10/10 is a fine opinion for someone else to have. If that's what they believe the game should have, let them have it.

Opinions are something that we can share, and if enough share the same opinion that something is good or bad, perhaps others will take notice.

I think the SP game is somewhere around an 8/10 score...but the MP until it get's fixed has gone down in my opinion even from my first foray into it, so I'd rate it bugless, but horrible at a 2 or 3/10 currently for online play. I think it's simply not really all that playable online MP.

THAT'S MY OPINION, and you have no need to even consider it legitimate or influential on you.

The first step for a better MP would be to open up the camera as many have already suggested. I also like the idea of being able to modify different items such as damage, damage taken, loot, and other arenas from 10% - 1000% (or 800% as already suggested). I think many have suggested the MP.

It was already noted before the game came out about the MP being saved only on one person's machine/account. That was no real surprise. It's good for couch coop, but still, once again, they need to allow the camera to zoom out even more for a bigger picture and to allow further distance between players.

Argue against his reasons for his score, but I'm not seeing a lot in this thread of why 3/10 isn't a good score for his opinion.

The rest of us are...
Speak for yourself!

Heh... You know, for someone that hates whining and complaining so much, you seem to be doing an awful lot of it yourself. =P

I'm not trying to be rude or anything... Just relax and don't be so hard on people. =P

I'm not hard on people at all. I suggested earlier that if someone thinks the game is unable to be salvaged even a little bit, post your review here and move on. Why sit on the forums and complain about how you hate the game? Everyone is entitled to do whatever they please, it was a suggestion.

It was a suggestion then followed by what felt like attacks, so I defended myself.

@Greylord: Who are you addressing in your post?

Edited by Bakercompany86

Let's just get back to discussing Dungeon Siege 3. No need to discuss each other.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just think who stays or goes or who has or has not crossed the wrong boundaries is up to the mods and admins. I would rather everyone voice their opinion without feeling like they have to fit in to do so.

What I said earlier was only a suggestion. When I felt the Brink forums became populated only by people who felt there was nothing wrong with it and didn't want any of the loads of problems fixed, I left. After a month without a single word from the developer it seemed futile, there were too many things that needed to be fixed.

I'm all for people sharing their opinions of this game. But like the OP of this thread, he didn't offer a single suggestion on how the formula could be improved, only complaints that this wasn't a "dungeon siege" game. Which perhaps spiritually it's not, but in reality, it is.

If you're going to come here to complain, at least share how you think Obsidian could improve the formula either via fixing this game or if its too far gone (which a 3/10 review would indicate) what can they do to make DSIV a success?

You're a perfect example Monkey. When you first came to these boards, your initial review was pretty hard towards DSIII. But you still suggested ways you thought the game could be improved. Just shouting "this game sucks" gives Obsidian nothing to go on for the future. And seeing has how Square Enix owns the DS licence, and they chose Obsidian to develop said franchise, it might be a smart idea to offer suggestions along with your criticism as you and I have done, and so have others. That's if you wanted to see the franchise at all salvaged in your eyes in the future. No amount of complaining on these boards will stop Square from allowing Obsidian to develop DSIV.

EDIT: Edited as I saw the mods post above...

EDITx2: Correction, there is an amount of complaining on these boards that would make Square not allow Obsidian to continue development of the DS franchise. But there are plenty of lovers for DSIII so that won't happen. And as long as people like Game Informer gave it an 8/10, they'll assume the majority is positive.

Edited by Bakercompany86

Actually reviewing video games for a living I can tell you that game reviewing is never scored like that. Most games that are reviewed are broken down by features and aspects and generally are compared to the best performer in the category. For example, DS3 would most likely be rated against and compared to Diablo 2 or maybe something more modern such as Titan Quest. In my opinion DS3 deserves a 6/10 it lacks many features that are pretty much assumed to be present in similar titles. That is a huge problem that would make the score dip down immensely. Now if Obsidian adds in persistent characters, separate cameras, separate gold, open access to modding, random loot tables for all creatures, and perhaps some random extra powerful mobs I can see that score being more around 8/10.

Yes. I know that. Which is why I said there should be a better system for reviewing games based on it's own merits and it's flaws. But that system should also give a few points to the reviewer to express his/her opinion as well. As it is many reviews and scores are based entirely on opinion. And I have seen some good games get railroaded while bad games have gotten some oddly high scores.

Yes. I know that. Which is why I said there should be a better system for reviewing games based on it's own merits and it's flaws. But that system should also give a few points to the reviewer to express his/her opinion as well. As it is many reviews and scores are based entirely on opinion. And I have seen some good games get railroaded while bad games have gotten some oddly high scores.

Like Too Human, that I thought was awful, actually scored higher than some games I thought were pretty good. That could be a matter of opinion and not a measure of bugs/glitches etc.

Still, a company like Gamefly is a godsend to gamers. I don't care what the title is, if you have the option to try before you buy, you should do so.

In the case of DSIII, we were treated to a lovely demo that allowed you to test 2 of the 4 characters and mill through the first section of the game. More than fair i'd say especially as a free demo with no strings attached.

Like Too Human, that I thought was awful, actually scored higher than some games I thought were pretty good. That could be a matter of opinion and not a measure of bugs/glitches etc.

Still, a company like Gamefly is a godsend to gamers. I don't care what the title is, if you have the option to try before you buy, you should do so.

In the case of DSIII, we were treated to a lovely demo that allowed you to test 2 of the 4 characters and mill through the first section of the game. More than fair i'd say especially as a free demo with no strings attached.

Exactly, and that is just a small fraction of the offenses I have seen. And I can respect people that come here and give their opinion on why they didn't like DS3, when they explain. Coming here and saying, "Oh this game isn't DS1 and DS2 rehashed so it SUCKS" and offer nothing else than that... yeah, it bugs me a bit. What do these people expect? Final Fantasy hasn't been the same from game to game since FF3 (American Release)... you don't hear anyone really complaining about that. Other prime examples are Mario and Sonic games... they evolved since the days of side-scrolling platformers, no one complained that those games weren't more of the same. Zelda, Need for Speed, and GTA are all prime examples of games that evolved from their humble beginnings.

I really can't take the complaint that DS3 isn't more DS1 and DS2, seriously. As for MP camera, no NG+, no separate MP characters/loot/gold, no persistent MP characters, etc, etc... those are valid complaints.

But like the OP of this thread, he didn't offer a single suggestion on how the formula could be improved, only complaints that this wasn't a "dungeon siege" game.

If you're going to come here to complain, at least share how you think Obsidian could improve the formula either via fixing this game or if its too far gone (which a 3/10 review would indicate) what can they do to make DSIV a success?

I thought I (she, not he) was quite clear during my "constructive criticism" on how to make this game playable. Let me clarify:

I said:

To be honest, it had a nice story and would have a great

ending if only for that stupid, idiotic, even anal final battle.

Meaning: do not ruin a decent game by using anti-climactic end-game battles.

I said:

DS3 STILL has no sky and a "Blaire Witch" camera that gives me headaches.

The multi-player is even worse and simply not playable for me.

Meaning: Stop using that arcaic engine, or at least give us lower camera angles.

Allow MP players a longer rope or update your servers.

I said:

'nuff said about Key Mapping and there lack of it so I'll not dwell on that except to say "what da heck were

you thinking when you came up with those keys" lol? Were you thinking at all???

I think this one needs no clarification, lol.

I said:

THE WORSE TARGETING EVER!!!

If any of you have figured out how to make your "girls" shoot at where you're aiming, please let me know.

Meaning: When I'm facing 12 o'clock and L-click my mouse, I want Katarina to shoot at my chosen direction instead of her pivoting around to 7 o'clock and shoot at the wall behind me.

I said:

Saving and loading is a mess too. Instead of having F keys for Quick Save (that over writes itself) and Quick Load,

you have to go through all that mambo jumbo that totally breaks continuity and concentration.

It's called "The Immersion Factor" you idiot developers... look it up!!!

Meaning: Instead of assigning F-12 to take screenies (there's the Print Screen key for that lol)

allow F-12 to re-write over the last save slot. Consequently, assign a key like F-9 to load the

very last F-12 save (instead of having to hit ESC and then Load and then the last save.)

All in all, I believe I have been constructive enough and given the developers feedback for a

improved game. All one needs to do is READ what I had writeen to see that.

Sweatcog: Engineering is ten percent innovation, twenty percent math, and eighty percent perspiration.

p.s.

I just came across this; a few more pointers for the developers:

...when you can pick up something like Torchlight or Titan Quest for pennies (both of which are also far more attractive and characterful), it's really hard to recommend dropping ?30-odd on this. If a patch that fixes up the PC control and display oversights and rethinks the presentation of stats does show up, I'll certainly feel a lot more fond of Dungeon Siege III. For now though: resume frustrated waiting for Diablo III.

Alec Meer is a writer for Rock Paper Shotgun, one of the world's best sites for PC gaming news.

Shaver I can respect your opinion. You have some valid complaints. Although I don't agree that the final boss battle was anti-climatic, I think it fit well within the story and I knew from an early point that I would eventually have to deal with what happened at the end. However I did feel a yearning for more... more story, more items, just more and to me that speaks more about the game then random complaints. I really want more from DS franchise now, in just about anyway I can get it.

HOWEVER I believe I don't just speak for myself when I ask you this...

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHANGE YOUR FONT SIZE DOWN TO NORMAL

In no way shape or form was your original post constructive criticism. You didn't post any suggestions on how to remedy things. "...if only for that stupid, idiotic, even anal final battle" isn't suggesting anything to improve. It just said you really didn't like it.

By all means suggest ways to improve the game. But don't dress up a turd and call it a rose. You shouldn't have to break down your post and translate like you did in your last one.

Edited by Tigranes
Happy place

Most of the time (sadly) when a game that is bad gets good reviews there is some incentive for the company to do so. The good games with bad scores can be a matter of the reviewer not liking the series or the developer.

Here is the ultimate problem. Good game reviewers know that they need to leave opinion out of it as much as possible as this adds a wide variety of opinions to the score such as. Well Obsidian messed up KOTOR 2 so I dislike them as a studio as such I am going to already have a thought in my head that this game may not be that great. So when I review a game I try to avoid opinion and focus solely on the facts of the title. Opinions is something you DON'T want in a review.. trust me.

Most of the time (sadly) when a game that is bad gets good reviews there is some incentive for the company to do so. The good games with bad scores can be a matter of the reviewer not liking the series or the developer.

Here is the ultimate problem. Good game reviewers know that they need to leave opinion out of it as much as possible as this adds a wide variety of opinions to the score such as. Well Obsidian messed up KOTOR 2 so I dislike them as a studio as such I am going to already have a thought in my head that this game may not be that great. So when I review a game I try to avoid opinion and focus solely on the facts of the title. Opinions is something you DON'T want in a review.. trust me.

As a professional I really hope your work ethic is based on this mantra and you practice it. Because far too often I am seeing reviewers like Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, or reviewers that use their lack of gaming skill to railroad games. In fact there was a review for DS3 that was bad and the score was low because the reviewer couldn't understand how to use the stances and was getting the shaft on Casual mode... dude if you are that weak as a gamer YOU DON'T NEED TO BE IN THIS BUSINESS! (btw this is not aimed at you, just the poorly skilled reviewer) And these "publications" that publish the reviewers articles need to have a screening that INCLUDES the reviewer showing that he is skilled in certain genres of games and they need to stick to those games as review subjects.

Isn't it ironic to say "OK I don't like Obsidian because they screwed up this other game but I'm not going to let my opinions influence my reviews"? :facepalm:

You're right that reviewers need to try and take account of different opinions and try and balance out their own bias, but you can only do that when you recognise the bias that you have.

Isn't it ironic to say "OK I don't like Obsidian because they screwed up this other game but I'm not going to let my opinions influence my reviews"? :facepalm:

You're right that reviewers need to try and take account of different opinions and try and balance out their own bias, but you can only do that when you recognise the bias that you have.

Ya I was just using that as an example :) I loved KOTOR 2 personally but ya. The best thing to do is try a game yourself, but if you can't, find a game reviewer that you know isn't very opinionated.

Edited by Falcon68

As a professional I really hope your work ethic is based on this mantra and you practice it. Because far too often I am seeing reviewers like Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, or reviewers that use their lack of gaming skill to railroad games. In fact there was a review for DS3 that was bad and the score was low because the reviewer couldn't understand how to use the stances and was getting the shaft on Casual mode... dude if you are that weak as a gamer YOU DON'T NEED TO BE IN THIS BUSINESS! (btw this is not aimed at you, just the poorly skilled reviewer) And these "publications" that publish the reviewers articles need to have a screening that INCLUDES the reviewer showing that he is skilled in certain genres of games and they need to stick to those games as review subjects.

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is more of a comedian then a actual game reviewer. I watch his work and enjoy it but I never really take him seriously. But yes a requirement for reviewing video games should be the ability to play all types of games from hardcore to casual. I completely agree with you there.

Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw is more of a comedian then a actual game reviewer. I watch his work and enjoy it but I never really take him seriously.

His Extra Punctuation are more serious and generally interesting though.