Dungeon Siege???

I pre-ordered this game simply because it had "Dungeon Siege" in its name. Big mistake! :lol:

A simple "Special thanks to Chris Taylor" in the credits DOES NOT make a game Dungeon Siege!

Occasional reference to DS2 characters DOES NOT make a game Dungeon Siege!

Naming certain areas after DS2 only brings back memories but DOES NOT make a game Dungeon Siege!

Seing myself, the Farmer Girl, tucked away in a dank dungeon tomb does not make a game Dungeon Siege!

We all know what it took to climb up the Zaramot's Horns.

Nice marketing trick; or should I say it the way it actually is? FALSE ADVERTISING! :bat:

I certainly would not have bought it if it weren't named Dungeon Siege. I'm certain

many of you also fell for that. To be honest, it had a nice story and would have a great

ending if only for that stupid, idiotic, even anal final battle :yucky: .

I played it to the end as if it were just another game. I liked many aspects of it, mainly the story,

but hated majority of its features:

DS1 had no sky and that was understandable at that time. (I know the mechanics behind that)

DS2 had no sky and it was dissappointing and annoying for its pariod.

DS3 STILL has no sky and a "Blaire Witch" camera that gives me headaches. o:)

The multi-player is even worse and simply not playable for me.

Wake up people... its the year 2011, not 2001.

'nuff said about Key Mapping and there lack of it so I'll not dwell on that except to say "what da heck were

you thinking when you came up with those keys" lol? Were you thinking at all???

Ah, the TARGETING. Lol, what is THAT? Oh I know... THE WORSE TARGETING EVER!!!

If any of you have figured out how to make your "girls" shoot at where you're aiming, please let me know :);-)

Saving and loading is a mess too. Instead of having F keys for Quick Save (that over writes itself) and Quick Load,

you have to go through all that mambo jumbo that totally breaks continuity and concentration.

It's called "The Immersion Factor" you idiot developers... look it up!!!

I was hoping DS3 would hold me until the release of Diablo III but, seems I'll have to shop around again.

My overall rating of this game, whatever its name maybe, is a 4 out of 10.

When you have to release a PATCH to correct basics such as Key Mapping, PC Controls, Camera controls,

that is a poorly done game, designed in s garage instead of in a reputable and experienced company.

Sweatcog: Engineering is ten percent innovation, twenty percent math, and eighty percent perspiration.

Well everyone is entitled to express themselves....but I'm going to choose to reply to only a specific part:

Ah, the TARGETING. Lol, what is THAT? Oh I know... THE WORSE TARGETING EVER!!!

If any of you have figured out how to make your "girls" shoot at where you're aiming, please let me know brows.gif;-)

I don't like the Auto-targeting either.

The key seems to be that you have to be facing what you want to aim at. So if you're dodging/rolling or teleporting like mad, you can't stop and just hit the attack button...you have to make sure you're facing the enemy you want to hit. The problem with this of course is often something else is between you and what you actually want to attack...During boss fights I guess they tried to mitigate this by making the boss always be the highlighted name, but doesn't always quite work, and you still have to make sure you're facing in the right direction.

Short version: just clicking the mouse on a monster does not work if you're facing in the wrong direction.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If any of you have figured out how to make your "girls" shoot at where you're aiming, please let me know brows.gif;-)

My girls shoot exactly where I want 'em to, hard and fast.

Thank you for writing your post in such big letters. I'm almost blind so this is the only post on the entire forum I can read normally.

AWESOME POST!!! ME TOO!? NAW...I NEED TO DO ALL CAPS TOO!!!! AND SOMETHING BIGGER!!!

lol.

Edited by greylord

Tell me more about the references to DS2 characters.

At the very end of the Hero's Crypt, you first see the statue of the Farmer (my player character).

She's the "First" of the Montbarron line, which makes her either the grand mother or the mother of Lucas.

Then, you reach The Hall of Heros where there are tombs of my companions line up along

the East and West walls. Going CCW from first you enter the Hall, they are:

Naidi, Gloern, Rhut, Lord Bolingar, Ulfgrim, Sikra, Merik, Boryev, Phaedriel,

Gyorn, Rusk, Lorun, Ulora and Zed. In DS1 and DS2, you could have up to 5

of these as your companions in your party.

Edited by shaver

Sweatcog: Engineering is ten percent innovation, twenty percent math, and eighty percent perspiration.

I never played a previous DS game so the name meant nothing to me. I played the demo and thought it was amazing, and then bought the game to reveal I was correct.

So I guess there goes the false advertising claim, you know when they put out a free demo and all :thumbsup:

DS3 is a PC game that requires a game controller to play. There I said it :thumbsup: . After a dodge or block, I just press the stick in the direction of my target and fire away. If multiple enemies are in the direction, I jostle the stick in rare cases where it matters (e.g. trying to take out a spell caster in the back row).

I never played a previous DS game so the name meant nothing to me. I played the demo and thought it was amazing, and then bought the game to reveal I was correct.

Your advantage is that you have no idea what you missed. Not having played DS1, DS2 and the Broken World,

you weren't affected by the citeria that caused my lowered expectations. You are one of the lucky ones.

I felt even worse with Witcher II, after having played and loved the Witcher I. The Witcher I is STILL my MOST

favorite game. That's why The Witcher II was such a major failure in my eyes. Even more so than DS3.

p.s. I meant CW (clockwise) in my previous post.

It's a shame it let you down in the echos of the previous titles. Because DS3 at its core is some of the best combat i've seen in an ARPG. Not to mention being an entirely bug free experience which apparently these days isn't a sure thing for your 60$.

Your advantage is that you have no idea what you missed. Not having played DS1, DS2 and the Broken World,

you weren't affected by the citeria that caused my lowered expectations.

I played DS1 & DS2 and I still like DS3. But I realized it was going to be different from the beginning...so I went trying not to have expectations. I find expectations tend to be a bit like having blinders on. Even w/Diablo3 I'm trying hard not to have expectations, because the direction Blizzard has been going in lately has me thinking D3 is going to be a bit different than a lot of ppl are thinking...not as dramatic as DS3, but we'll see.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

There was a competition to win all three dungeon siege games if you wrote a really good limerick about dungeon siege, and I wrote one....

I purchased a game just for me

Some things I just couldn?t believe

No custom controls or player captivation

The lack of a soul and steam activation

Oh my God this is dungeon Siege three

and that truly sums up what a terrible game on pc it is. I haven't played it on consoles yet but still as it stands..... I would rate dungeon siege III a 3 out of 10 for respect for the content developed for the game, not the actual gameplay.

There was a competition to win all three dungeon siege games if you wrote a really good limerick about dungeon siege, and I wrote one....

and that truly sums up what a terrible game on pc it is. I haven't played it on consoles yet but still as it stands..... I would rate dungeon siege III a 3 out of 10 for respect for the content developed for the game, not the actual gameplay.

3/10 huh? Wow, I guess we should all be glad that games aren't actually rated based on your scale.

3/10 huh? Wow, I guess we should all be glad that games aren't actually rated based on your scale.

No joke.

That means you would give Brink a 1/10, Hunted: The Demons Forge a 1/10, and pretty much every release this year around a 1/10.

because using an inflated scale is so much better... here have a 6/10 because your game made in on the shelves.... a 3/10 is actually being generous for DS3.

He's right. If Matt-C thinks DS3 is 3/10, then 3/10's the score he should give. Why inflate it?

Of course, that's Matt-C's opinion. No more, no less. *shrug*

He's right. If Matt-C thinks DS3 is 3/10, then 3/10's the score he should give. Why inflate it?

Of course, that's Matt-C's opinion. No more, no less. *shrug*

Opinions aside. Because 3/10 means the game is unplayable not only due to bad design but bugs and a complete failure on multiple fronts. If you are going to give a game such a low score then you really need to explain why. An example...

10 - As a rule all games should start here and then be graded on merits.

-1 - No New Game +

-1 - No Keymapping

-1 - Multiplayer camera is bad

Those are my complaints against DS3, at the moment... that sets it at a 7/10. That's passing. But there is more!

+1 - I liked the story. Short as it was I was very immersed and at the end... I craved more.

+.5 - The gameplay was solid.

+.5 - I had fun

That brings it back up to a 9/10 in my opinion, and I just illustrated why. As I said with such a low score... you really should illustrate it further. Explain why you scored it so low.

Edited by XxTaLoNxX

So good gameplay is worth less than having a New Game+ mode? laff

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

HA! 3/10 would indicate that the developer completely failed in their mission to create a game. And if that is your opinion then DSIII is always too lost for you to even worry about, so its time to leave these forums as Obsidian isn't going to rewrite the entire game for you.

I personally give DSIII at least a 8/10. If they fix the camera and adjust the loot then its up to a 9/10 for me. And if they add another game type thats endlessly replayable, then its perfect in my eyes and I would see nothing wrong with the game at all.

Again thats *my* opinion. I consider a game 10/10 not if its the most perfect game ever created, but if I enjoy it and I can find nothing wrong with it.

New Game + is useless if the gameplay is garbage. Thankfully DSIII's gameplay is actually some of the best i've seen in an ARPG, and it smokes every other dungeon crawler i've played in combat. Instead of mindless flinging of spells and abilities you actually have to think.

Yes I want new game+ or some other form of game mode, but thats only because I like DSIII so much I want more.

And if that is your opinion then DSIII is always too lost for you to even worry about, so its time to leave these forums as Obsidian isn't going to rewrite the entire game for you.

Uh ... yeah you've overstayed yer welcome sonny, this is a tiny town and we don't want you comin' round. :bat::brows:

/pitchforks provided by Obsidian Defense Squad! :)

Edited by MonkeyLungs

-1 - No New Game +

-1 - No Keymapping

I've never agreed with this idea. It always seems to be confusing academic grading systems with reviews. Your usage of "graded" seems to imply the same. And that you can seek a formula and milk it for 10s.

It's a far more subjective matter than that. Individual elements can't be specifically quantified and properly attributed.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So good gameplay is worth less than having a New Game+ mode? laff

In my opinion as pertaining to RPGs... yes. RPG gameplay is pretty rudimentary, in fact the hack n' slash of DS3 is still leaps and bounds from say Ninja Gaiden or God of War. In other genres gameplay would weigh more. I couldn't imagine playing a platformer/adventure game that had sluggish or awkward controls when the action really started heating up. As for DS3 the lack of being able to continue to build and play my character after the very short story was a big negative against the game in my eyes. But I still would give the game somewhere between an 8 and 9 out of 10.

Although you completely missed the part of my post that said "example".

-1 - No New Game +

-1 - No Keymapping

I've never agreed with this idea. It always seems to be confusing academic grading systems with reviews. Your usage of "graded" seems to imply the same. It just implies that you can seek a formula and milk it for 10s.

It's a far more subjective matter than that. Individual elements can't be specifically quantified and properly attributed.

Yeah, I don't care if you agree with it or not. Everything in life should be handled academically in my eyes. There is more organization, explanation, and clarity when things are handled academically. In fact it weeds out all the bullcrap opinionated garbage that is applied to many fields. They don't judge gymnastics based on opinions, they don't judge ballroom dancing on opinion. No. They instead subtract and add points based on a system, and when the judges notice or don't notice the flaws in a performance. However those systems are very rigid and I can find a flaw in the fact that they are almost excessively strict.

My point is that too many people hold their own opinions as the only opinion. When critics (that's a joke) watch and review a movie they purposely find flaws or things in the movie that they don't like, they go into the movie with the mindset that they are going to tear it apart bit by bit and display it's carcass publicly. Gamers and game reviewers do the same without any REAL justification other than they didn't like the game. At least with a system games could be judged FAIRLY and THEN the reviewer could give his opinion and details about the game, you could even tie opinion into a point or two. But I am really getting tired of seeing good games given bad scores based on nothing but opinion, as well as horrible games that get excellent scores that are obviously bought or given based on the name of the publisher/developer.

Edited by XxTaLoNxX