What IS like dungeon siege

So, quick bit of background: I was eagerly waiting for and following the first dungeon siege and I remember what seemed like an agonising long time before it was released.

Of the things that really excited me were

1) obviously the 'continuous world'/no loading screens thing, and/

2) the thing I thought was coolest was the "you get better based on what you do" skill system. THIS was what really got my attention. Wanna be a warrior? swing a sword.

The way this is captured in Dungeon Siege 3 seems to me to be in some ways cooler than the original (NOTE: I'm not all the way through the game yet).

How: Building up mastery to empowered abilities.

So when I am playing, I'm focused on what abilities I use because I know there is a longer-term return to doing that. My real customisation is about what abilities I'm going to get empowered.

I have no idea if the game goes on long enough to empower everything - if so, then I'd want to see 'levels of empowerment' in any expansion so that it preserves the sense that the abilities I'm using matter, and that I'm customising my character based on what I'm doing in combat.

Edited by greenpeas

At first I was put off by: No pack mule, c'mon that was DS's trademark element! No party, just one companion, boo!

However, once I played it(almost done my first run through), I realized this is simply a different take on the Dungeon Siege style game. Once you accept that fact, it actually works pretty well. One thing I didn't focus on in the first two DS games was tactics in combat. I used formations and party AI settings I wanted, then simply directed the party to advance or retreat as needed, the AI did the rest.

In this game I'm having a lot of fun directly controlling Lucas's every move in the boss fights. I don't really miss the packmules since this is not really a loot focused game, more a combat focused game.

So, quick bit of background: I was eagerly waiting for and following the first dungeon siege and I remember what seemed like an agonising long time before it was released.

2) the thing I thought was coolest was the "you get better based on what you do" skill system. THIS was what really got my attention. Wanna be a warrior? swing a sword.

The way this is captured in Dungeon Siege 3 seems to me to be in some ways cooler than the original (NOTE: I'm not all the way through the game yet).

So when I am playing, I'm focused on what abilities I use because I know there is a longer-term return to doing that. My real customisation is about what abilities I'm going to get empowered.

I have no idea if the game goes on long enough to empower everything - if so, then I'd want to see 'levels of empowerment' in any expansion so that it preserves the sense that the abilities I'm using matter, and that I'm customising my character based on what I'm doing in combat.

The earlier games also had 1). I think you might be referencing Skyrim re: 2).

It took me a few games to really get how to do it properly, but I'm at level 20 with Anjali and have 5 out of 9 abilities empowered (2 defensive, and the two most recently unlocked offensive still have some more to go).

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

This is such an excellent and well done combat system. And combined with the difficulty of hardcore and the way some of the enemies/bosses are, one of the most intense ARPG's i've played in a bit.

I love Reinhart, and empowered Geometry of Destruction is absolutely nuts.

The earlier games also had 1). I think you might be referencing Skyrim re: 2).

It took me a few games to really get how to do it properly, but I'm at level 20 with Anjali and have 5 out of 9 abilities empowered (2 defensive, and the two most recently unlocked offensive still have some more to go).

#2 was definitely DS1 - we played it again this year as a group.