The Codex

Volo is freaking bullet-proof. He gives as good as he gets over there and there's grudging respect for him.

That he is. Over the years Ive watched wave after wave of poster crash and break upon the rocky Volorian shores and yet there he stands untouched. Impressive.

Well said.

Stop sucking up to me. If you post over there you sucking up here won't have me show you any mercy.

I actually just found out that I have 31 personal victories over there along with 0 losses. That's impressive! :verymad:

As for being hated or repsected.. it should be pointed out even when I got banned by a certain drama inducing crybaby people 9well a sizeable number) demanded I'd be reinstated and some even got themselves banned over it. HAHA! That's rela power.

Anyways, enough of this Volournc rap, it's about the Codex is cool. Only people who can't handle strongly voice opinions dislike it.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

That's rela power.

wishful thinking :-

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Volo is freaking bullet-proof. He gives as good as he gets over there and there's grudging respect for him.

That he is. Over the years Ive watched wave after wave of poster crash and break upon the rocky Volorian shores and yet there he stands untouched. Impressive.

I believe he works for an agency like this:

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I checked out the Codex due to this thread and it once again confirmed my belief that any message board so often referred to on another message board can never be good, it's always extremely far past its sell by date. It's completely ingrained in itself and hostile towards anything that even comes close to the possibility of being able to break the status quo as far as there is one*, making it the online equivalant of a redneck genepool. Although as stated, its LPs are really good.

*Lately this board has been starting to go there as well. The amount of "this place used to be so much better" posts and the many veteran in jokes probably make it pretty hard for new members to enjoy it.

Still beats Obsidian forums' 99%/1% awesome/trash ratio. :p

I think you meant that the other way.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Still beats Obsidian forums' 99%/1% awesome/trash ratio. :p

I think you meant that the other way.

Its Volo, one must apply the logic of a very simple lifeform to the problem in order to come to the eventual result.

He basically did it on purpose IMHO.

It's completely ingrained in itself and hostile towards anything that even comes close to the possibility of being able to break the status quo as far as there is one*

It probably looks like that on the surface, but I honestly don't see it. The one group Codex posters hate more than people who don't post on the Codex are people who post on the Codex. At least 50% of the people on the site constantly express how much they hate being there.

The place is split between people who hate everything made after 1992, people who only like Fallout and a couple of others and think no other RPG has ever been made, people who think we live in the golden age of RPGs right now (yes, there are some), people who spend most of their time talking about obscure Japanese dungeon crawlers, people who play games for the story, people who think choices and consequences are what define an RPG... the only general consensus is that games have, overall, gone downhill. As status quos go, it's not much of one compared to most forums. The thing with the Codex is just that everyone shouts really really loudly and it can be a bit deceiving.

Edited by Admiral jimbob

The hilarious thing is that there is no status quo in the Codex. Even the Holy Trinity is regularly attacked - i.e. Torment and its gameplay, Fallout and its combat. And since the 'decline' of the industry (i.e. post-Oblivion) it's become even more varied, i.e. Witcher 2.

If you want status quo, you want NMA.

The hilarious thing is that there is no status quo in the Codex. Even the Holy Trinity is regularly attacked - i.e. Torment and its gameplay, Fallout and its combat. And since the 'decline' of the industry (i.e. post-Oblivion) it's become even more varied, i.e. Witcher 2.

If you want status quo, you want NMA.

That's great, I've been trying to kill all the sacred cows here for a while now. I guess it's not really that much of an issue with everyone having wildly differing tastes, however.

Do not post or register at RpgCodex. Their registration rules have changed. With me being banned and all the other strange silences, I am positive federal agents have ceased DU, his Database, or DU freely gave it up.

I won't be returning there. They also have very foul mouth languages. I regret donating as much as I did. I won't ever know if DU even resisted the takeover by the feds. Maybe he fried much of the damning info before they took him out. oh well.

redacted

Yeah, codex seems like a place for the mentals to hang out. Gawd I hate mental people, especially, mental geeks.

Do not post or register at RpgCodex. Their registration rules have changed. With me being banned and all the other strange silences, I am positive federal agents have ceased DU, his Database, or DU freely gave it up.

I won't be returning there. They also have very foul mouth languages. I regret donating as much as I did. I won't ever know if DU even resisted the takeover by the feds. Maybe he fried much of the damning info before they took him out. oh well.

Trust no one.

Should we set up code phrases, drop points and safehouses now or wait till the air clears?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get this perception that the codex hates everything new. Witcher 2 received favorable opinions and is accepted as a good (if not great) game, though it did start some heated and intelligent debate on whether it was actually an RPG with C&C. Considering how vocal and prevalent he is, its easy to think Metalcraze embodies the codex, but his 'everything is ****' gimmick isn't taken seriously by anyone. Even the new users are pretty much told that MC has no idea what hes going on about (most of the time, anyway, he likes ARMA2 which is definitely a great FPS).

General discussion is a bit offensive, true. But the vast majority of racists and weirdos are mostly being offensive for the sake of it. Very few people actually are real nazis or whatever else you think they are. True, to a new registered user like myself, it was difficult to separate the lulz from the real crazies, but once I bothered to look beyond the surface, it became easy enough to tell who was which. In anycase, beyond some shockingly offensive stuff and in-jokes, GD can be ignored.

In terms of general gaming and RPG discussion, the codex is only as offensive as you are. If you rush in laughing at them 'oldfags' and talking about how awesome oblviion or dragon age 2 is, you're pretty much asking for the stereotypical codex (or NMA) reaction to happen to you. If you politely ask them what they find wrong in Oblivion and maybe even give some examples of what you think it did right, you'll get some intelligent posters telling you just that. True, you are nearly guaranteed to have at least one idiot rush in and insult you and considering the topic I've just given, Mastermind will most likely come up with some insane Oblivion defense that riles up the other guys, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that these guys aren't as offensive, close-minded or rude as people make them out to be.

If you don't want to join, thats understandable. But to perpetuate the negative stereotype that the codex is some neo-nazi-racist hivemind that lives in a pre-2000 world is pretty much wrong in every way. I'm not the most articulate guy on the codex and I'm certainly not a very intelligent one. I'm not really a long time user either, having joined up in 2010. But I hope this post does in someway break down the stereotype that the codex is no a place for serious gaming discussion. :lol:

I don't get this perception that the codex hates everything new. Witcher 2 received favorable opinions and is accepted as a good (if not great) game, [snip]

If it had been made in Mongolia or Azerbaijan, it would have been accepted as a great game.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

I don't get this perception that the codex hates everything new. Witcher 2 received favorable opinions and is accepted as a good (if not great) game, though it did start some heated and intelligent debate on whether it was actually an RPG with C&C. Considering how vocal and prevalent he is, its easy to think Metalcraze embodies the codex, but his 'everything is ****' gimmick isn't taken seriously by anyone. Even the new users are pretty much told that MC has no idea what hes going on about (most of the time, anyway, he likes ARMA2 which is definitely a great FPS).

General discussion is a bit offensive, true. But the vast majority of racists and weirdos are mostly being offensive for the sake of it. Very few people actually are real nazis or whatever else you think they are. True, to a new registered user like myself, it was difficult to separate the lulz from the real crazies, but once I bothered to look beyond the surface, it became easy enough to tell who was which. In anycase, beyond some shockingly offensive stuff and in-jokes, GD can be ignored.

In terms of general gaming and RPG discussion, the codex is only as offensive as you are. If you rush in laughing at them 'oldfags' and talking about how awesome oblviion or dragon age 2 is, you're pretty much asking for the stereotypical codex (or NMA) reaction to happen to you. If you politely ask them what they find wrong in Oblivion and maybe even give some examples of what you think it did right, you'll get some intelligent posters telling you just that. True, you are nearly guaranteed to have at least one idiot rush in and insult you and considering the topic I've just given, Mastermind will most likely come up with some insane Oblivion defense that riles up the other guys, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that these guys aren't as offensive, close-minded or rude as people make them out to be.

If you don't want to join, thats understandable. But to perpetuate the negative stereotype that the codex is some neo-nazi-racist hivemind that lives in a pre-2000 world is pretty much wrong in every way. I'm not the most articulate guy on the codex and I'm certainly not a very intelligent one. I'm not really a long time user either, having joined up in 2010. But I hope this post does in someway break down the stereotype that the codex is no a place for serious gaming discussion. :lol:

Okay, so all I know about the Codex is a horrible first impression (the first thing I saw when I looked over there was some abhorrent post advocating mandatory euthanasia for handicapped people) and the things I hear here (and this place is not unbiased), so I recognize that I may have jumped the gun. However, and I mean no offense with this, but this post strikes me as horrendously apologetic. The amount of arguments that essentially boil down to "sure, it's kind of true, BUT there are good things too!" is strikingly painful. Despite trying to convince that the Codex isn't as bad as people here say it is, most of this post actually just confirms it instead but just adds "well, it gets better if you get through the outer layer of crap and know the tricks."

Again, I mean no offense, but you're not really accomplishing what you say you want to. It's not very inspiring to give the Codex as a second chance at all, quite the opposite really.

snip

Okay, so all I know about the Codex is a horrible first impression (the first thing I saw when I looked over there was some abhorrent post advocating mandatory euthanasia for handicapped people) and the things I hear here (and this place is not unbiased), so I recognize that I may have jumped the gun. However, and I mean no offense with this, but this post strikes me as horrendously apologetic. The amount of arguments that essentially boil down to "sure, it's kind of true, BUT there are good things too!" is strikingly painful. Despite trying to convince that the Codex isn't as bad as people here say it is, most of this post actually just confirms it instead but just adds "well, it gets better if you get through the outer layer of crap and know the tricks."

Again, I mean no offense, but you're not really accomplishing what you say you want to. It's not very inspiring to give the Codex as a second chance at all, quite the opposite really.

Re-reading my post, I can see what you mean. Don't really know how to reword it honestly. I never meant to give a 'Its kind of true' vibe, since its flat out not true, to be quite honest. I guess I can only direct people to whatever admiral jimbob and jaesun (on page 2) said.

Since I can't edit my earlier post, I'll just say it here. The codex is pretty much like any other site. It has its share of idiots and smart people, the people there have games they like and dislike. Thats it pretty much. I don't see why both the codex and other sites that know about it try to portray it as anything else but that.

Edited by Kamikaze_Watermelon