Do you use Facebook?

Humodour

Because it's not Facebook.

That's not really much of a reason.

It is the most important reason, and it actually counts for a heck of a lot.

Not that Facebook is amazing, but still would like to hear some backing for the claim.

Been living under a rock?

But sure, here: http://www.pcworld.com/article/234825/9_re..._to_google.html

Also, I now have a Google+ account, so if anyone wants an invite, PM me your email address. :lol:

I don't really post on facebook without thinking, in fact I delete quite a few comments before posting because I think they might come across as snarky. It is different when I am in person and I can use inflection and all that.

I agree forums are great for serious discussions, but I'm not going to get my mom to join a forum. As for the emphasis on pictures, I really enjoy being able to watch my friends kids grow up and to see how they are doing. Without facebook that would be more difficult to do, particularly the ones who are far away.

There are other outlets for this communication, email and the like, but Facebook makes things very simple.

Number 9 on that list made me laugh, but ah well. Google's sure got good returns with the "Do No Evil" scthick. Anyway, seems interesting, but I'll wait until people I talk to go on to that before giving it a look see.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Life's too short and precious to waste away online, rather than living it for real.

Uh, you moderate a gaming forum. No offense, I'm right here next to you wasting time online, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

It's a fringe benefit of my job. I can either stare at the desktop wallpaper while thinking or I can stare a forum posts (and write a short contribution on the odd occasion) :)

Oh I know the feeling...

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I think Google should stick to automated stuff, every time they try sneaking into social it crashes and burns. And they don't need any more market domination.

I'm happy enough with Facebook.

Oh really?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/234797/goog...ane_demand.html

"Google+ Invite Process Shut Down Amid 'Insane Demand'"

It's only been around for oh 2 days. I think you would make a horrible market prognosticator.

Sounds kind of like all the MMOs that can't keep up with demand the first few weeks, buy a ton more servers and end up with a desolate wasteland by the end of the second month.

Obviously this is all conjecture at best and luckily I'm pretty far from anything market prognostication-related.

Life's too short and precious to waste away online, rather than living it for real.

Uh, you moderate a gaming forum. No offense, I'm right here next to you wasting time online, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

Boom, hit for massive damage to the weak spot!

Have a facebook account, but haven't logged in for months.

Surely that's like... having sex with Satan then never calling.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sounds kind of like all the MMOs that can't keep up with demand the first few weeks, buy a ton more servers and end up with a desolate wasteland by the end of the second month.

Obviously this is all conjecture at best and luckily I'm pretty far from anything market prognostication-related.

More likely hype via false shortage as with lots of new release electronic fripperies; SO MUCH DEMAND WE HAVE LITERALLY RUN OUT OF INTERNETS!!!1!!! HOPE YOU AREN'T MISSING OUT!!! BE IN QUICK ETC ETC.

The demand would have to be more insane than the love child of Caligula and George III to trouble Google.

OK, so having given away intimate details of my real life, relationships and personal preferences to a dubiously morally trustworthy and somewhat macchiavellian company run by a man-robot with doubtful understanding of it/his connexion to other people and the social responsibilities contained there in...

... You now want me to repeat/duplicate this mistake.

What on Earth made you think I'd agree to this?

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

More likely hype via false shortage as with lots of new release electronic fripperies; SO MUCH DEMAND WE HAVE LITERALLY RUN OUT OF INTERNETS!!!1!!! HOPE YOU AREN'T MISSING OUT!!! BE IN QUICK ETC ETC.

The demand would have to be more insane than the love child of Caligula and George III to trouble Google.

+1

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

OK, so having given away intimate details of my real life, relationships and personal preferences to a dubiously morally trustworthy and somewhat macchiavellian company run by a man-robot with doubtful understanding of it/his connexion to other people and the social responsibilities contained there in...

... You now want me to repeat/duplicate this mistake.

What on Earth made you think I'd agree to this?

Facebook cannot retain your data for more than around a year, depending on your jurisdiction (often less, 9 months). You are able to close your Facebook account and download all the data Facebook has stored about you (although it is painful).

The bigger question is: are you really silly enough to want to stay with the company you just admitted is completely untrustworthy?

I would personally advise changing all your Facebook profile data to incorrect things before leaving, too (gender, date of birth, relationship status, etc) and then hiding all information on your Facebook account from anybody but you.

Krez makes an interesting point here. In the world of 'free' information exchange, the only defence may be to employ a 'bodyguard of lies'. Something like the one man XX Committee.

-Elwood Blues

What is this Google+ of which you speak?

Google it.

;)

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

What is this Google+ of which you speak?

Google it.

I did and I still don't understand, really, WTF it is.

I know the IT mentats on this board are insufferable, intolerant snobs but back in the day they would happily share their knowledge with others.

sonsofgygax.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

So... does anybody want a Google+ account now? :p

Google+ hit 10 million users a week ago. Now it is at 20 million. Google+ is 3 weeks old.

(Obsidian devs: company pages roll out at the end of this month, I'd suggest you guys make one...)