Do you use Facebook?

Humodour

Does it make it easier or harder for your boss/parents/parole officer to monitor your weird private life?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The problem is everyone is already on Facebook. You are basically asking us to leave a huge house party and go hang at Google's crib, which is empty. Sure, the Google house is probably better, but all our friends are at the Facebook shack.

But hey, Google was super late to the email game, and they've turned gmail into a major player, so give it some time I guess.

Does it make it easier or harder for your boss/parents/parole officer to monitor your weird private life?

Somehow, I'm leery of using a single company for my search engineing and social networking. :lol:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The problem is everyone is already on Facebook. You are basically asking us to leave a huge house party and go hang at Google's crib, which is empty. Sure, the Google house is probably better, but all our friends are at the Facebook shack.

But hey, Google was super late to the email game, and they've turned gmail into a major player, so give it some time I guess.

Yeah, but wasnt it the case that Myspace was the big dog before Facebook curb stomped them?

I dont use Facebook. Im too old and I dont want any Exe's being able to find me. :lol:

Dump it. Switch to Google+. Facebook is ****.

And why is Google+ any better?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I just signed up 2 weeks ago. I don't use it for nothin' per se, other than when it's practical for events and communication. I've checked it twice this week, people should should learn to shut up unless something interesting to ME is going on in their lives.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I'm not mapping my social life.

Which now I think about it would be like mapping Tuvalu. :lol:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

After a long period of meh I'm finally sort-of using it... Facebook as a company is a sort of "we don't give a **** about you or your privacy or anything like that, put up with it" type, but really, at a personal level, I don't think social media is a particularyl important thing in our lives so I'm not too fussed.

Will be waiting to see where Google+ takes the industry, though.

I think Google should stick to automated stuff, every time they try sneaking into social it crashes and burns. And they don't need any more market domination.

I'm happy enough with Facebook.

Oh really?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/234797/goog...ane_demand.html

"Google+ Invite Process Shut Down Amid 'Insane Demand'"

It's only been around for oh 2 days. I think you would make a horrible market prognosticator.

Facebook as a company is a sort of "we don't give a **** about you or your privacy or anything like that, put up with it" type

My very first impression of Facebook. Less than 24 hours after having created an account and added two email addresses marked as not for public sharing, I got spammed on them with scam mails. Makes you wonder what they do with those email addresses people entrust them with (I would never say that they sell them outright, as that might be libel)...

I don't think social media is a particularyl important thing in our lives so I'm not too fussed.

This :lol:

Life's too short and precious to waste away online, rather than living it for real. Deleted all essential info on my profile except a freemail address for notification purposes (which now gets spammed by facebook with 'we miss you' messages every second month because I don't log in anymore. Found a few google pages on how to permantly delete my account which I'm probably going to do one of these days if I can be bothered to visit that pile of again.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Life's too short and precious to waste away online, rather than living it for real.

Uh, you moderate a gaming forum. No offense, I'm right here next to you wasting time online, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

.... :lol:

I'd agree with that. When I say I'm not interested in Facebook, I mean exactly that. I'm not interested in Facebook. I have nothing against online "social mediums". I've been using them forever, from IRC to BB's to the current forum stages and Twitter and yakking to ppl in online games. Facebook just has nothing I want or would use. Not my kind of social medium...no need for it and I'm not going to sign up for it just to try and cultivate a need for it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I find it hilarious that people can't see that forums like this ARE social media, and they're what inspired things like Facebook.

Exactly. I actually chronicled my last big RV trip with pictures in two places, here and Facebook. I got more responses from the folks here than my friends and family!

Life's too short and precious to waste away online, rather than living it for real.

Uh, you moderate a gaming forum. No offense, I'm right here next to you wasting time online, but it just seemed a bit hypocritical.

It's a fringe benefit of my job. I can either stare at the desktop wallpaper while thinking or I can stare a forum posts (and write a short contribution on the odd occasion) :lol:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Because it's not Facebook.

That's not really much of a reason. Not that Facebook is amazing, but still would like to hear some backing for the claim.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I think forums are the best social media format we've come up with so far on the web, because unlike, say, facebook, you end up actually having discussions, and you can both talk about inane stuff or get into serious discussions. You also have greater freedom to bring in various custom formatting, etc. The character limit, the wall stream system, the huge focus on personal photos, etc., etc - who really wants to read a series of one-liners from people you know? It's not as rich as forum talk and it's certainly not as rich as real talk when you meet those people IRL.

That doesn't mean all forums are like that, but at least the structure is there. Facebook/etc actively discourages the act of thinking before talking/writing. It turns all of us into those type of obnoxious people that always want to say something every time anyone says anything. Hyuk hyuk, yeah, that's right, I heard something about that somewhere. Forums do this, too, hence the people that can't resist posting in every single thread, but to a lesser extent.