Just finished game

Zero replay value ??? the replay value is not high but is moderate IMO.

Well I said practically zero...anyways in comparison to other arpg's yeah the replay just isn't there for me. I could see myself playing once more through...maybe.

Perhaps replayability would be greater if there was more exploring involved, if not all the terrain was corridor-like.

Some people even complained about the ultra-efficient quest system(press R), similar to how people very angrily complained about the yellow highlighting in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, things like that eliminate exploration.

I don't mind the yellow bread trail to help me find quest objectives, nobody likes to be lost for 20-30 minutes trying to find a door they keep walking by or something like that.

True exploration comes into play off the beaten path. I made sure I explored every alcove, side trail, and door I could find. This game is light on the free-roam exploration, where some games offer entire areas off the map to be discovered. This game is definitely linear in that sense. You can complete things outside of the story with a little bit of freedom to do so in the order of your choosing, but ultimately this is a pretty start to finish game. Not that its a bad thing, the game was wonderful and challenging.

Would love DLC to contain more open world stuff, and now that they're not focused on the main story perhaps that can be achieved.

No it's not, it's a game you can be completely done with in a couple days... it comes down to simply being a weekend game. There is no aspect of the game that makes you want to come back and give it another go. There is no multiplayer mode to extend the life of this game, no way to continue building your character after the main quest is over (whether this be new game+ or simply replaying parts of the game with your char), etc. So that's why it's practically zero, to call it moderate would be saying there is replayability for 2-3 months after release for the core game... there is not.

Even the cheerleaders will be done with this game soon. All the replay features that really increase the fun of building a character in an ARPG are absent from this game.

Well I said practically zero...anyways in comparison to other arpg's yeah the replay just isn't there for me. I could see myself playing once more through...maybe.

Perhaps replayability would be greater if there was more exploring involved, if not all the terrain was corridor-like.

Some people even complained about the ultra-efficient quest system(press R), similar to how people very angrily complained about the yellow highlighting in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, things like that eliminate exploration.

I don't mind the yellow bread trail to help me find quest objectives, nobody likes to be lost for 20-30 minutes trying to find a door they keep walking by or something like that.

How do you get lost ...corridor maps brah ... you cannot get lost, let alone for 20 minutes.

Also I am against all forms of quest compass and magical GPS tracking systems in games where it does not fit with the game lore. And, I hate mini maps.

How do you get lost ...corridor maps brah ... you cannot get lost, let alone for 20 minutes.

Also I am against all forms of quest compass and magical GPS tracking systems in games where it does not fit with the game lore. And, I hate mini maps.

Wasn't necessarily referring to DS3 when I mentioned getting lost. But either way its nice for pacing to just follow a trail. Just about every RPG out there has some sort of help to lead you to the next quest, even a massive game like Oblivion and Fallout.

Yes this is NewFan streamlining mumbo jumbo added to Oblivion because people didn't like having to look for stuff in Morrowind. I can't stand it, it pollutes my rpg and detracts from my fun. If these kinds of things are optional then they obviously don't offend me as much because I can turn them off but I still lament their existence and use in modern games. I also wish games would let me toggle off the mini map. I would prefer a series of checkboxes at the outset of a new game that allows me to turn off all the hand holding stuff right at the beginning of the game and then it should be completely inaccessable during that playthrough.

I actually think DS3 has one of the better bread trails. You don't have to use it at all if you don't want too. Or if you want quick direction so you can continue at a brisk pace, tap the up button on your D-pad.

So people like you never have to see it, and others have quick access to it. I dig it.

Mini-maps are debatable. I like them if they're well done, and DS3's is well done. I really like DS3's interface though, I think its perfect for the game and pretty non-invasive.

Even if that is true I only died once (and it was right outside the save spot) I doubt I spent 50% of my game time in a menu. At most it's another hour or two.

It'd be easy to test. Look at a wall clock, write down a start time, fire up the game, start a new character and play through to Vera, perhaps. Save the game, note what time it is in real life and see if the save game time matches the real time.

At any rate...I don't think anyone's trying to say they don't specifically believe your time. At least I'm not. Some people are very fast at finishing games even when they "do everything." But just because it took you only 10-12 hours, doesn't mean it's not true that others took 15-17 hrs, even if they aren't as extremely slow as someone like myself. :lol:

Also, what difficulty were you playing? Hardcore can slow things down quite a bit for some, especially the first run/when you're unfamiliar, because you tend to die a lot at the bosses & can take multiple times to do each one.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Yes this is NewFan streamlining mumbo jumbo added to Oblivion because people didn't like having to look for stuff in Morrowind. I can't stand it, it pollutes my rpg and detracts from my fun. If these kinds of things are optional then they obviously don't offend me as much because I can turn them off but I still lament their existence and use in modern games. I also wish games would let me toggle off the mini map. I would prefer a series of checkboxes at the outset of a new game that allows me to turn off all the hand holding stuff right at the beginning of the game and then it should be completely inaccessable during that playthrough.

I agree with everything. Atleast have player options to turn this stuff off. I'm ok with the mini map but the bread crumb trail i'm not a fan of at all.

Also i know you can turn off the mini map on the console...down on d-pad, not sure for pc though.

You can turn the mini-map off (on PC anyway) by hitting the Tab key a couple times. And the bread crumb trail is only there if you press a certain key, so I never saw it. Didn't even know it existed until I read it here.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It's kind of funny how we complain "we're being treated like idiots, stop handholding!", and then... we're not even smart enough, collectively, to figure out you can turn those things off. :lol:

I don't think it matters so much in a linear hack and slash like DS3, where you don't explore so much anyway.

I thought we all knew how to access all options for every game we play? I know I do, I RTFM and experiement with the options and stuff.

The more of this kind of stuff that's optional then the less I can complain even though I wish quest compass never made it into game design normalcy.

I thought we all knew how to access all options for every game we play? I know I do, I RTFM and experiement with the options and stuff.

The more of this kind of stuff that's optional then the less I can complain even though I wish quest compass never made it into game design normalcy.

I'm just grateful it's Obsidian designing the compass and minimap system and not you :lol:

Then again, I ended up needing the strategy guide in ME2 because the "dumbed down" arrow-only minimaps and lack of level maps kept me constantly confused. I was a little sad that DS3 didn't have a large-level map, but the minimap was well-done, and the breadcrumb trails helped reassure me that I hadn't gotten turned around backwards as I was flipping around in combat. I'm hopeless without a map, even in relatively linear areas.

I've bought two games on Steam. That's it.

I'm still an old fogey who forgets I not only have to download the game, I have to download the manual. Not that most manuals are very good to begin with most of the time these days. ;) (edit: and I've bought PC games on disc that come with no manual at all, eg, you have to go download it...sigh).

So yeah, I just forget and then I get into the game and never think "gee I'm missing a function, wonder what it is", I just keep playing. Besides, most times I get the control functions by going into the key-rebinding screen and seeing what they all do that way...but, ooops. :lol:

Edited by LadyCrimson

SO I haven't even finished the game yet, and I've already played a couple of hours with every character. On some of them I already realise that I want to start again to do a different build.

I've played over the first bit of the game several times and am not yet done.

So far, I'm not disappointed with replayability...

SO I haven't even finished the game yet, and I've already played a couple of hours with every character. On some of them I already realise that I want to start again to do a different build.

I've played over the first bit of the game several times and am not yet done.

So far, I'm not disappointed with replayability...

Yup i'm doing my 2nd 3rd and 4th playthroughs on the remaining 3 characters almost simultaneously. Anjali is a great character, Katarina is a bit harder than I thought she would be but incredibly powerful, and Lucas is the most difficult in my opinion with no ranged option.

Even though the campaign isn't random at all and linear, I'm enjoying it playing through it again with a different character.

and Lucas is the most difficult in my opinion with no ranged option.

LOL, What? I killed some bosses(like Maru Yatum) by just using wind shear(with maxed wounding gale) and endless wrath, wind shear has the longest reach, area effect efficacy and deals horrible damage if you specced your character right. Not to mention that with heroic charge you can reach anything and escape anything.

L2P.

All on hardcore of course, I can't play this game on anything less than hardcore.

and Lucas is the most difficult in my opinion with no ranged option.

LOL, What? I killed some bosses(like Maru Yatum) by just using wind shear(with maxed wounding gale) and endless wrath, wind shear has the longest reach, area effect efficacy and deals horrible damage if you specced your character right. Not to mention that with heroic charge you can reach anything and escape anything.

L2P.

All on hardcore of course, I can't play this game on anything less than hardcore.

You're funny for a... never mind. No flaming, forum rules :ermm:

Okay I lied, you're not funny at all.

Didn't say I couldn't do it, said he's the most difficult with no ranged option. At least the other 3 characters were fairly easy, and he requires a lot more rolling.

L2Troll

Steam says 26 hours for my first play through (on "Normal") as Anjali. I *tried* to do all the side quests but got one set *failed* due to my actions (I didn't even know that was possible). I thoroughly enjoyed the game and look forward to playing again as a different character. The combat was intense and killing bosses was very rewarding. I also enjoyed the artwork and environments. Some of the quests seemed incongruous, such as looking for lost merchandise in the middle of a war (at least make it a lost puppy) :ermm:. Hopefully the DLC will be more dungeons!

Steam says 26 hours for my first play through (on "Normal") as Anjali. I *tried* to do all the side quests but got one set *failed* due to my actions (I didn't even know that was possible). I thoroughly enjoyed the game and look forward to playing again as a different character. The combat was intense and killing bosses was very rewarding. I also enjoyed the artwork and environments. Some of the quests seemed incongruous, such as looking for lost merchandise in the middle of a war (at least make it a lost puppy) ;). Hopefully the DLC will be more dungeons!

I saw another really good idea from the Torchlight description, where you unlock some kind of "endless" dungeon after completing the game.

Most gamers don't really care what form the endless replay value comes in, as long as it is present. So I hope what they conjure up to extend the play on DS3 is brilliant :)