Is the price tag appropriate?

Don't get me wrong, I really like this game and despite some consolification issues the combat system is a vast improvement over all other action RPGs but after finishing it it became very clear that it has the least amount of areas and diversity I ever encountered in an RPG.

It feels very abbreviated and in a lot of instances it looks like narration is filling the gap of so small a gameworld.

In fact, the gameworld is pretty much so small as to render the game episodic in nature, like Half Life 2 (failed) episodes concept.

I bet this was the initial intent but you should have really gone with an appropriate price tag(30-40 euroes), it would have received far far less criticism then.

It isn't any shorter than your average console AAA shooter and it sports more complex combat, narrative, and more varied enemies and set pieces.

You can argue that most AAA games are generally too expensive for what they offer, but DS3 isn't a game that falls outside the current norm as far as content is concerned.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

It isn't any shorter than your average console AAA shooter and it sports more complex combat, narrative, and more varied enemies and set pieces.

That's true, campaigns like in Medal Of Honor, Modern Warfare 1,2, Homefront are horribly primitive, linear and scripted with zero replayability value.

But when you put Dungeon Siege 3 in the context of other RPGs and its predecessors the world is pretty small.

It doesn't feel like an epic journey just due to lack of that scope.

You can argue that most AAA games are generally too expensive for what they offer, but DS3 isn't a game that falls outside the current norm as far as content is concerned.

Have to agree here for sure. In no way do I feel like I wasted my money and trades on DS3. I enjoyed every bit of the campaign and look forward to replaying it as the other characters.

Sure we all want more for our money, who doesn't? But look at Brink, a game that was advertised as the end-all COD killing shooter. What we got was 8 crappy short maps, no single player, and a plethora of other issues.

Then take F.E.A.R. 3 for example, an amazing title that offers the most intense first person shooter experience i've ever played, outstanding co-op, and 4 extremely fun multiplayer modes. This is another title to ignore the reviews on, and I highly recommend.

But yeah, we didn't get ripped of for DS3. PC guys have the most room to complain, they do need a keybinding fix. The keyboard is already so clunky to use compared to a controller. Outside of that, DS3 is an exceptionally polished title that is loads of fun with a great campaign. I'll always take more in the form of DLC however :lol:

For reference:

http://videogamelength.blogspot.com/2009/0...r-xbox-360.html

http://videogamelength.blogspot.com/2009/0...ngth-for-c.html

http://videogamelength.blogspot.com/2009/0...es-for-ps3.html

Some of the numbers are iffy(there's no way Bioshock lasted that long), but it serves its purpose.

Heja Sverige!!

I'll try not to compare against DS3's PC counterparts...because on that level it's pretty grim analysis. So I'll just stick to console hack and slash rpg's. Personally I don't think it's worth the full $60. It's a fun game, but honestly it feels kinda like a streamlined abridged version of other games.

I paid 30 euros for the PC game, by the way. Pre-ordered.

Heja Sverige!!

I play on Xbox 360. My stance from the get go has been Dungeon Siege 3 should be a $20 - $30 title. That's how it stacks up against other ARPG's. There isn't enough here to keep people playing and as such I don't feel there is enough offered to be worth full price. I think they should have releaased it on PSN and Xbox Live as downloadable titles right out of the gate. Start at $30 dollars and drop it to $20 after a month or two.

That's true, campaigns like in Medal Of Honor, Modern Warfare 1,2, Homefront are horribly primitive, linear and scripted with zero replayability value.

But when you put Dungeon Siege 3 in the context of other RPGs and its predecessors the world is pretty small.

It doesn't feel like an epic journey just due to lack of that scope.

You seem to have conveniently left out the fact that most people buy these games for the Multiplayer aspect, which you can usually log easily up to a couple hundred hours if that's your thing.

DS3 was short, extremely linear, and little to no replay value unless you just HAVE to play through with every character. I would have released this for $20 on PSN and Xbox Live. Just my opinion.

The keyboard is already so clunky to use compared to a controller.

Please stop lying to yourself and others, you make yourself look like a clueless buffoon. Mouse and keyboard is precise, flexible and superior to any control scheme.

It's pretty short by RPG standards, to be fair. The quality of the product is pretty good too, if you take it as purely a single player design. There's definitely room for expansion, but I've still got more gamplay time out of it than any console games I've played lately (AP excluded).

Also, by now Dungeon Siege 3 is probably the best RPG purchase I've made since Risen. It focuses almost exclusively on the combat, but one of the big problems with ARPGs on the PC is that they never ever focus on the combat mechanics. So it's a big breath of fresh air for me. I'll take this any day of the week over playing the same game over and over again on a random map.

Heja Sverige!!

Oh and just to add, I did purchase the 360 version. I like PC games better most of the time, but DS3 just felt like it's just meant to be played on a console especially control wise.

Definitely no argument there. DS3 would have felt strange to me if I had played it on the PC too.

Please stop lying to yourself and others, you make yourself look like a clueless buffoon. Mouse and keyboard is precise, flexible and superior to any control scheme.

That really depends on the game. Unreal Tournament will always play better on M&K. Blazblue, not so much.

Heja Sverige!!

Oh and just to add, I did purchase the 360 version. I like PC games better most of the time, but DS3 just felt like it's just meant to be played on a console especially control wise.

Definitely no argument there. DS3 would have felt strange to me if I had played it on the PC too.

My PC, my gamepad, and my big screen TV take issue with that. Oh, and actually, I've found I prefer to play Dungeon Siege 3 with a controller on my monitor when playing alone. Only on co-op do I prefer to switch to the TV.

Heja Sverige!!

...in shooters.

In beat em up, hack n slash, fighters, etc the controller is far superior. Don't even lie to yourself.

Go play through Darksiders on PC, then play on the 360 and tell me the keyboard and mouse is easier. Maybe as a personal preference, but thats about it.

And you're talking to a PC gamer of 15 years, way before I was a console junkie. So its not like my opinion is that of a biased fanboy.

My PC, my gamepad, and my big screen TV take issue with that. Oh, and actually, I've found I prefer to play Dungeon Siege 3 with a controller on my monitor when playing alone. Only on co-op do I prefer to switch to the TV.

Okay, let me rephrase that. DS3 would have felt strange to me if I wasn't playing with a gamepad.

I have all three...it still felt like a console game more than a PC game. Plus, reading the PC related forums the PC version had more issues than the 360 version.

Game has plenty of replay value for me.

-Not too long and with a great pacing. Prevents getting bored with it halfway through. Also has a higher chance for me to casually replay it again down the line.

-Decent amount of choices

-All four charachters play different enough

So, yes it was worth the bux for me.

Edited by C2B

It was well worth its price tag. While a bit shorter than I would have liked, it's hardly too short. My final play time, I believe, was just over 22 hours. That's not much less than what it took me to finish Dragon Age 2, as a comparable.

The combat is fantastic, the story is good, and since I'm not obsessed with MP, a lack luster MP isn't going to deter me from praising the game.

If Obsidian made DS4 and it was the same length as this one, I'd buy it on release.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It was well worth its price tag. While a bit shorter than I would have liked, it's hardly too short. My final play time, I believe, was just over 22 hours. That's not much less than what it took me to finish Dragon Age 2, as a comparable.

The combat is fantastic, the story is good, and since I'm not obsessed with MP, a lack luster MP isn't going to deter me from praising the game.

If Obsidian made DS4 and it was the same length as this one, I'd buy it on release.

Agreed. I'm at 14 hours and i'm not finished yet.

I also agree with what you said about DS4. Obsidian had my confidence with FO:NV, one of my all time favorite games to play. DS3 has cemented them as a good developer in my book. I look forward to future products from them.

In the mean time, my mind is just spinning with DLC possibilities for this game. I'll likely suffer a stroke when they announce it (okay maybe not a stroke, but i'll be excited :p )

Agreed. I'm at 14 hours and i'm not finished yet.

I also agree with what you said about DS4. Obsidian had my confidence with FO:NV, one of my all time favorite games to play. DS3 has cemented them as a good developer in my book. I look forward to future products from them.

In the mean time, my mind is just spinning with DLC possibilities for this game. I'll likely suffer a stroke when they announce it (okay maybe not a stroke, but i'll be excited :) )

DS4 - if it happens - will rock the house, y'all. The waiting for DLC is killing me too. I've just finished it, so I'm really wanting some more. I'm so RPG hungry right now I just bought Sacred 2!