DS3 Nathaniel Chapman interview

I think people are being a bit unfair with their criticism on DS3's MP. Yes it has a few minor issues, but they are indeed minor and not game breaking.

I've personally played with 3 of my buds on hardcore, and we had a ridiculous amount of fun. The camera didn't even bother us that much as we were too focused on the insane combat. Dodging, blocking, healing, tossing out focus moves, building it back up, empower this, dodge some more, oh crap buddies down...revive...

Tons of fun there. The camera and loot just needs minor tweaks, that's it. It isn't a broken game that needs to be scrapped and completely re-written. It's beautiful, sounds great, and doesn't have a single bug or glitch that I or my friends ever experienced. And I think I've heard one person on these boards, *1*, say they encountered a very minor bug that didn't even effect their game.

Obsidian deserves some props for a very polished game, regardless if it did or didn't meet someones personal expectations.

Back on topic. This interview makes me happy. He was honest about the (few) issues with game. I think 1 TU and 1 DLC and this game is a 10/10 in my book. Whereas some recent games needed about 4 patches, and a DLC to even be an average game. Hell Brink had to release their first planned DLC for free because the game is such garbage that Splash Damage did it as an apology. Count your blessings that DS3 is a functional and fun game for everyone (once they fix PC controls, that is).

In the mean time PC guys, you really should try a 360 controller. The control layout on it is magical, and a work of art.

In the mean time PC guys, you really should try a 360 controller. The control layout on it is magical, and a work of art.
Unless, of course, you've been playing FO:NV for the last 6 months and keep pressing B to bring up your Pip-Boy to check your stats and instead waste Focus :p

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Unless, of course, you've been playing FO:NV for the last 6 months and keep pressing B to bring up your Pip-Boy to check your stats and instead waste Focus :(

Every game should have a pip-boy anyway. Even Elder Scrolls. Make it a magic parchment on your wrist you unroll or something I don't care, just give me a pip-boy :p

The FO3/FNV pipboy is a terrible form of UI. It takes a long time to bring it up, the actual area for presentation of info is tiny, you have to navigate through several types of tabs to get anywhere, all the fields are too small making you scroll a lot, and generally every single part of it privileges style over substance. Apart from "hey cool, pip-boy", there's no redeeming features to it.

It's designed for consoles.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The FO3/FNV pipboy is a terrible form of UI. It takes a long time to bring it up, the actual area for presentation of info is tiny, you have to navigate through several types of tabs to get anywhere, all the fields are too small making you scroll a lot, and generally every single part of it privileges style over substance. Apart from "hey cool, pip-boy", there's no redeeming features to it.

Really? I liked the pip-boy. =P It felt to me like I had more options to choose from, whereas I feel that a lot of console games try to oversimplify everything for me and give me a small/basic UI. Then again I started as a PC gamer, but had to move to consoles for financial reasons... So that may be why I feel that way, heh. =)

I actually bought an inexpensive controller to try on the demo. My biggest problem is that I've never owned a console, and my last real gamepad/controller experience was decades ago when they weren't so complicated (ancient, ancient Nintendo), so trying to use it drove me close to insane. Figuring out what LT and RB and X and A and whatnot struck me as a lot harder than just getting used to the semi-funky PC controls. Add in that the game doesn't like my Logitech controller, and I had to use a semi-functional X-Box emulator that seemed to confuse the navigation pad with one of the two joysticks sporadically, and the mouse and keyboard just seemed a lot easier.

I also ran into another weird problem-- controllers are designed for far bigger hands than my dinky little stubby claws. The controller's uncomfortable after more than a few minutes.

Edited by leeloodallas

Really? I liked the pip-boy. =P It felt to me like I had more options to choose from, whereas I feel that a lot of console games try to oversimplify everything for me and give me a small/basic UI. Then again I started as a PC gamer, but had to move to consoles for financial reasons... So that may be why I feel that way, heh. =)

It's a perfectly fine UI if you are using a mouse and your ability to read smaller text is limited by the distance to your screen. If you are playing on a PC with a mouse as a pointing device and the ability tor ead much smaller text, it's an atrocious UI.

Funny little fact: The terribleness of Oblivion's menu system on PC was acknowledged by Todd Howard. Regardless, Fallout 3 came out with the exact same type of menus. That's commitment to quality right there.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: