DS3 Nathaniel Chapman interview

This was a Eurogamer interview that was done at the game's US launch, I'm not sure if anyone posted it, so I'll post it here (maybe this can be a thread for all dev interviews?).

Nathaniel Chapman interview

Anyway, the key point I noticed in that was that the devs plan on fixing up the PC controls in an upcoming patch. I was also pretty impressed by Nathaniel's honesty, he didn't really dress anything up in PR talk and beat around the bush compared to other dev interviews I've seen, especially considering DS3 had just launched. I'm really looking forward to this patch and seeing how PC controls get fixed up- this + camera tweaks will make the combat perfect imo.

Also that answer to the last question has gotten me pretty excited- just what is this 2d game?

That was a good interview, and he made plenty of sense. I do find that DSIII has little to no bugs (I actually encountered zero). It's a finely polished product. And there is a great balance between combat, dialogue, and story. I didn't get bored once.

And the combat is my favorite part =)

I can't wait for my second playthrough, i'm currently on the

Jeyne fight after the Archon of War and the Archon of Vengeance.

I think my second playthrough will be with Lucas. I've enjoyed Reinhart very much.

I hope the first DLC is soon, and amazing =) But then again who doesn't? *starts praying for last stand*

4 player online co-op isn't optimal, but I played with 3 random people for 2-3 hours yesterday and it was fairly fun. With a more zoomed out perspective, it would be even greater. The thing I hate in 4 player co-op is Lucas' Blade Dash attack or whatever the hell it is called.

The reaction to MP on THIS website is 'mixed' ... I guess. It was universally panned br game reviews from so called pros and from user reviews all over the internet. The general consensus is easy to ascertain and is quite clear, the world agrees, the MP is bad.

EDIT: Some of you fine folks on this website like it, but you are pretty much alone in that sentiment.

Also, the game is already below #50 on sales ranking on Amazon.com for both PS3 and Xbox 360, that's not good bros.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

^^^

That is because some gamers always conspires against Obsidian games not only for DS3; mostly to be part of the ridiculous hate wagon.

BTW, i agree with Baker.

Would be really sad for gamers that like the dedication Obsidian put in their games if the studio get shutdown in the future for unfair reasons.

Edited by Alpha

I think it is because of gimped Multiplayer. I also think it is because Obsidian thought dialogue wheel was an adequate replacement for all the other features they chose to ignore when building an ARPG. Persistent character saves, newgame+, multiple gameplay modes like free mode and PvP.

Word of mouth is huge for games. Fans can be the deathknell for a company (HELLO FLAGSHIP!) or fans can be the most ultimate viral marketing team ever created. Its all about how you treat your fans, and the features set you choose for your game is an integral part of the way you treat your fans.

Contrary to some kind of weird gaming industry hubris or mental blockage that say streamlining rpg's is a good way to get more sales I am firmly of the belief this is wrong. I think the way to sell more rpg's, whether they be action rpg's or old school heavy dialogue rpg's, is to make more complex and better rpg's.

It's mixed, because you know, there are people who like it and people who don't.

But everything have mixed opinions. This same argument would be valid for everything in life, because there will always be people that like something and people that don

The reaction to MP on THIS website is 'mixed' ... I guess. It was universally panned br game reviews from so called pros and from user reviews all over the internet. The general consensus is easy to ascertain and is quite clear, the world agrees, the MP is bad.

EDIT: Some of you fine folks on this website like it, but you are pretty much alone in that sentiment.

Also, the game is already below #50 on sales ranking on Amazon.com for both PS3 and Xbox 360, that's not good bros.

Maybe you are right. I only visit 3 gaming related forums, so I can't argue with you. I also don't read reviews very often, so again you are probably right. All I know is that there were some decisions regarding MP that were weird, but they don't ruin the game for me. Let us hope they will have a bigger team working on a possible sequel. I don't pretend that the game is perfect, but I don't pretend that I didn't have fun, even in the somewhat flawed online co-op.

Maybe you are right. I only visit 3 gaming related forums, so I can't argue with you. I also don't read reviews very often, so again you are probably right. All I know is that there were some decisions regarding MP that were weird, but they don't ruin the game for me. Let us hope they will have a bigger team working on a possible sequel. I don't pretend that the game is perfect, but I don't pretend that I didn't have fun, even in the somewhat flawed online co-op.

I actually wish they would have just expanded the single player more, maybe even made it more of an rpg and let you have all four characters in a party for single player anf just focussed on making that part really really good. Then maybe included only couch co-op as an extra feature. There might have been some griping but a really long, in dpeth single player experience would make up for the MP deficiency. Right now we have short, streamlined game, with really gimp MP.

The lack of persistent character saves and tethered online camera are such recurring complaints. Gamers really don't like these two points. The other super conmplaint was Pc controls but those are getting fixed.

I just want Obsidian to make a legendary single player RPG of entirely their own creation, their own universe, etc. This engine seems like a stable one and I hope they really profit from the engine since Ds3 doesn't seem to be raking in the cash.

EDIT: and BTW the game is at #78 on Amazon.com for Xbox 360. Down from #50 yesterday. Might be time to drop the proce to $29.99. I think $29.99 should have been the asking price to be honest with plans to drop to $20 after 3 months of sales and add the game to both PSN and Xbox Live as a downloadable title.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

:) can we please not derail every thread into an argument over MP? This was supposed to be a thread about the good news that a) The devs were listening to feedback and were honest about it and not in denial (something I see all too often from devs at launch) and b) They were working on fixing PC controls (:D).

Enough with the constant rage about MP. MP reaction is mixed as C2B says, because Local Co-op works quite well (aside from camera issues) while Online Co-op is a mess. Also, just cause the internet hates it means nothing- internet forums and reviewers are a vocal minority- just look at CoD, hated by the net, loved by everyone else judging from sales.

I enjoyed my first play through. I liked the combat, thought the story was good, and enjoyed the characters.

I've only played MP a couple of times with a friend, and while I'm sure some of the complaints are valid for those really wanting a massive MP experience (ie. different kinds of game settings), it was fine with me. Not great, not bad. Just fine. But I'm more of a single player gamer anyway.

I came into Dungeon Siege III with expectations similar to how I come into any Obsidian game -- story, characters, and choices. They didn't disappoint me.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'm really looking forward to this patch and seeing how PC controls get fixed up- this + camera tweaks will make the combat perfect imo.

lol. You're really looking forward to a game that isn't totally borked then? Are you also looking forward to his plans to release the proper tutorial as DLC? You must be SO excited at all this cool stuff.

"That is because some gamers always conspires against Obsidian games not only for DS3; mostly to be part of the ridiculous hate wagon."

Are these conspiring drivers of the 'ridiculous hate wagons' the same peeps who loved NWN2, KOTOR2, and FO3.5:LV that sold millions of copies? By golly, they sure hate 'em!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'm really looking forward to this patch and seeing how PC controls get fixed up- this + camera tweaks will make the combat perfect imo.

lol. You're really looking forward to a game that isn't totally borked then? Are you also looking forward to his plans to release the proper tutorial as DLC? You must be SO excited at all this cool stuff.

Considering I liked the original game and had alot of fun with the combat, yeah I am looking forward to a patch that improves on it and fixes up the one thing I didn't like.

Yep, totally looking forward to DLC- FNV's dlc is the only dlc that I've felt actually justified the price and MOTB more than justified the rest of NWN2, and considering this is the same studio making the dlc I am pretty interested in what they make.

YMMV massively on totally borked and quit shoving your opinion down everyones' throats (something I wish all the DS3 haters would listen to).

It's useful to have this interview as another clear sign that the devs want to work on the PC controls for the upcoming patch. I think when we look at combat he's right - most complaints are about the controls, not about how combat itself works. I think combat is amazingly fun, and the bit that makes the game.

Edit: You know, it's interesting - from both people that love DS3 or think it's rubbish, etc, sometimes you get people that just try to insist what they think is 'stupid/awesome design', etc is The Truth, if you disagree with them you don't know what you're on about, everything they say is backed up by the Silent Majority, etc. And then ironically, normal people - who, in all probability, like some things and dislike some things - just give up and fade ito silence. It's not like you can persuade anyone if you tell them "DS3 is awesome and if you don't like it you're uncivilised", or "DS3 is crap and you're just a fanboy".

I'm really looking forward to this patch and seeing how PC controls get fixed up

How would PC controls get fixed if there is nothing wrong with PC controls, can you explain what exactly you perceive that something is wrong with PC controls?

I'm really looking forward to this patch and seeing how PC controls get fixed up

How would PC controls get fixed if there is nothing wrong with PC controls, can you explain what exactly you perceive that something is wrong with PC controls?

WASD controls are pretty bad. Sure you can get used to them, but you shouldn't need to- pressing A and D shouldn't turn the camera but the only the player, press a should make the player go left instead of slowly turning left it's all very awkward and could be better. That's my only issue with pc controls, camera could be improved as well though.

WASD controls are pretty bad. Sure you can get used to them, but you shouldn't need to- pressing A and D shouldn't turn the camera but the only the player, press a should make the player go left instead of slowly turning left it's all very awkward and could be better. That's my only issue with pc controls, camera could be improved as well though.

I guess I've gotten used to A and D controlling the camera from both Dragon Age games, so that honestly didn't bother me. Same with "E" as the interactive button, akin to Mass Effect and ME2. I may be the only one, though. What I hated was inventory on F (right next to D when you're flailing around fighting) and quests on X when you're fumbling to back up. Urgh.

"In general, one of the criticisms of the first Dungeon Siege was that it kind of played itself. We wanted to make a really active experience and put a lot of emphasis on the 'action' in 'action RPG'. We wanted to ensure you never felt like the game was too automated. We really wanted it to feel like you were always directly controlling your character, and how you controlled your character really mattered and affected the outcome of combat."

I really think Obsidian did a good job in this regard. Its been a problem of mine with most action RPGs to date.

:) can we please not derail every thread into an argument over MP? This was supposed to be a thread about the good news that a) The devs were listening to feedback and were honest about it and not in denial (something I see all too often from devs at launch) and b) They were working on fixing PC controls (:D).

Enough with the constant rage about MP. MP reaction is mixed as C2B says, because Local Co-op works quite well (aside from camera issues) while Online Co-op is a mess. Also, just cause the internet hates it means nothing- internet forums and reviewers are a vocal minority- just look at CoD, hated by the net, loved by everyone else judging from sales.

"Perfect"

Only word I can describe what I just read.