Possible MP camera solution

Zones anyone? Why not remove the shared camera and just limit movement in and out of zones. Seems like a pretty easy solution. The host has to move between zones, but other players can travel freely throughout the zone without being tethered. Similarly, only the host can initiate dialogue with important NPCs. There are zones already in place where lighting and scenery change, just limit the party to one zone at a time until the host has gathered their party to venture forth!

That'd work. I think the problem is that the reason for the tethering and the lack of persistent MP and other limitations is to stop people from just running ahead and doing everything themselves and stealing all the loot (i.e. the way MP usually works and why I don't like it). Getting rid of tethering will lead to exactly this (loot won't be problem cause of character limitations but other players might find that the guy will just run ahead and kill everyone before they get a chance to fight)- even with the zoning it'd still lead to this. I guess with all the complaints about how MP is currently being setup to allow for a more friendly/casual atmosphere it's difficult to determine what people really want. Everyone here and generally on the net could just be a vocal minority and the majority could be pissed at the shift towards a more competitive MP.

If anything, the tethering on Online MP should at least be extended in length for better movement within the map, the Camera could be improved, and players should not be tethered to a fallen companion for obvious reasons.

Except that allowing gamers the freedom to go anywhere they want in the game does not mean that people will run ahead and steal all of your fun. If you play with people that do that you could just remove them from the game. Players can form teams and work together even in a game that allows them to have their own screen and go anywhere.

I like the idea, but to add on top of it.

If one party member goes to a zone portal (we'll call it portals for sake of debate, where one zone is adjoined to another) then the party is only transported if a majority agree on the move to another zone. Press a button to ready up a move to that specific zone.

Or all party members must be within a small distance of the portal to proceed.

hey Unreal good to see you here!...i guess you are the same unreal warfare of Xbox forums that is in the Armed forces if i am not wrong . Sorry , if i am confusing you with other gamer.

Edited by Alpha

That'd work. I think the problem is that the reason for the tethering and the lack of persistent MP and other limitations is to stop people from just running ahead and doing everything themselves and stealing all the loot (i.e. the way MP usually works and why I don't like it). Getting rid of tethering will lead to exactly this (loot won't be problem cause of character limitations but other players might find that the guy will just run ahead and kill everyone before they get a chance to fight)- even with the zoning it'd still lead to this. I guess with all the complaints about how MP is currently being setup to allow for a more friendly/casual atmosphere it's difficult to determine what people really want. Everyone here and generally on the net could just be a vocal minority and the majority could be pissed at the shift towards a more competitive MP.

If anything, the tethering on Online MP should at least be extended in length for better movement within the map, the Camera could be improved, and players should not be tethered to a fallen companion for obvious reasons.

Well how about this, enable persistent characters who keep their loot. When joining a game you get notified of the host's level and vice versa. If you're level 10 joining a level 20 game, the monsters will most likely destroy you, very fast. Likewise, if someone joining your team is too OP'd or weak, you'd just deny them. MP is about fun and cooperation so if someone isn't playing nice, just boot them.

I'm not a big multiplayer gamer, but it seems to me that the MP has a large number of people upset and I think there are some simple things that could be done to change this. Ultimately if they enable persistent characters then PvP will also be possible which I think would be unreal in this game considering the combat system it has. Might be totally unbalanced but would still be fun for a bit.

Well how about this, enable persistent characters who keep their loot. When joining a game you get notified of the host's level and vice versa. If you're level 10 joining a level 20 game, the monsters will most likely destroy you, very fast. Likewise, if someone joining your team is too OP'd or weak, you'd just deny them. MP is about fun and cooperation so if someone isn't playing nice, just boot them.

I'm not a big multiplayer gamer, but it seems to me that the MP has a large number of people upset and I think there are some simple things that could be done to change this. Ultimately if they enable persistent characters then PvP will also be possible which I think would be unreal in this game considering the combat system it has. Might be totally unbalanced but would still be fun for a bit.

Hmmm... Instead of any level joining any game, why not just allow the host to designate what level ranges can join their game before they even create the match, like most of the RPGs that support multiplayer do?

Hmmm... Instead of any level joining any game, why not just allow the host to designate what level ranges can join their game before they even create the match, like most of the RPGs that support multiplayer do?

Because unless you limit it to 2-3 levels it creates an unbalanced game.

And if you do that you restrict a large amount of a playerbase.

Except that allowing gamers the freedom to go anywhere they want in the game does not mean that people will run ahead and steal all of your fun. If you play with people that do that you could just remove them from the game. Players can form teams and work together even in a game that allows them to have their own screen and go anywhere.

But it kinda does. I've played Borderlands at a friend's place and that's all it consisted of since I was new to the game. And in any MMO I've tried to get into (most recently this would be that f2p game Spiral Knights) it's always been a bunch of people running ahead, killing everyone and taking all the loot for themselves- half the time in Spiral knights I was finding the players grabbing all the loot for themselves more challenging than the enemies. Persistent/Competitive MP encourages the worst kinds of people to take part.

@Cynic, yeah I guess the idea of having strict rules in place could work...give all power to the host to decide all the parameters and boot off anyone they don't like...still expects the host to be reasonable but hey if he/she's a jerk just join a different server I guess. Yeah I think I see your point now.

Because unless you limit it to 2-3 levels it creates an unbalanced game.

And if you do that you restrict a large amount of a playerbase.

That's... the point. If balance matters to you, you will be able to control that aspect with the level ranges YOU choose (as the host).

Does that limit the amount of people that would be allowed to join your game? yes. It doesn't matter, though, because when people have incentive to play online (via persistent characters), more people will want to play.

All you have to do now is look at the amount of matches being played online at the moment. That amount isn't normal for a brand new game (at least from what I saw it was pretty damn small). When my bud showed me the online multiplayer for that game, he hosted it, and I was amazed just how long people would stay before they left. Everyone who joined left in under 5 minutes of play (across 3 different matches)... Eventually we just got bored and stuck to local co-op (which I found to be a hell of a lot of fun... Good system for local, bad system for online).