Camera Angles and the joys that go with

Hello

A few clan mates and i bought this game, we play alot of co-op rpgs and the such. Now we find this game to be very fun, and have been playing it for the past 2days non stop. One of the biggests and quite major flaws in this game at the moment that we have found is the camera. There are two types of classes in this game ranged and melee why is that the camera is fixed for everyone resulting in people getting stuck at the edge of the camera during fights, and people lagging behind and getting stuck behind corners. How was this not picked up during testing, its more than just a minor inconvenience it can change the whole outcome of a fight. One example of this is when the camera goes topdown limiting your already small view range, causing enemy who are within range to be able to shoot you but you cant see then, because one of the group is standing at the back. We had quite a discussion on our teamspeak server on how the view should look and work, we found this view while completing a quest. We all thought this was a really good view giving you a good sight of whats in front of you, combined with the keys to rotate the camera it would be perfect. Even if what you gave us was just the option to customise our views on the fly instead of giving us views that dont really work.

2011-06-26_00001.jpg

The second part of this post is directed at the linked camera for all, now i can see how having seperate cameras for everyone could be a problem. E.G people going off by themselves completing quests and such solo, but in a team game such as this i doubt this will happen. The linked camera at the moment is far to limited we have found when fighting bosses if one of us gets pulled away from the main group by charging or warping around, then the camera causes the whole team to get stuck. An even bigger problem than this is when a group member dies, the camera still picks him up forcing you to hang around even if the boss is here. During some fights in the smaller rooms this dosnt cause that much of a problem but in the larger areas it really downgrades the gameplay and the enjoyment factor. An example of this is a boss fight we had a few hours ago we couldnt take the boss head on head so we began to kite the boss around a natural wall, taking shots when we could. This was going well untill one of us died causing the camera to stick around him meaning we couldnt run anymore resulting in the whole group dieing, we tried to revive him during the fight but died. This fixed camera also causes group memeber who are slower, because they were either looking at something or reading to get stuck behind doors or on corners because the rest of the group runs to far ahead.

This game is really fun to play cooperatively but flaws like this just take us away from enjoying the real effort thats been put into this game.

I do hope that someone reads this and takes some of the feedback away with them.

Edited by Jimbosmith

I can't agree with you enough!!!!

Absolutely.

After I played SP I decided to try it MP.

I kept freakin dying...NOT because I couldn't play the game, but the camera enabled cheap shots and we had no way of getting to the enemy many times. You can't outrun homing missiles if you have to stay so close to companions sometimes, and the area is littered with immovable objects. It just got annoying.

The camera IS one thing I'm hoping they fix in a patch and do something to resolve this portion of the MP play.

I made up a Sesame Street rhyme for a game development law that should never be broken:

Gamers only share a screen when they share the same machine!

The devs can even make up their own little song about it and sing it to each other about 100 times a day until it sinks in.

ya wow you hit the nail on the head i put a complaint in other forums stateing same issues the BIGGEST being shared camera people want their OWN screen and no one and i do mean NO ONE wants to sit there and share a very small limited view with others we want the DS1 and DS2 view setups back where you could see 500 feet infront of u and if you wanted to you could run back to town to cash quest in shop etc while others push on i hate to say it but i got 2 hours into the game SOLO its manageable but in multiplayer i say screw that crap there is no way in hell im playin a game where it focuses all views together hell i wish i could get my money back since game devs these days just dont listen to the public and dont test their games like really who on earth would say lets make ANY game and share view its like making a RTS scarcraft 2 shared view like you would have to be stuck on stupid to even remotely think this was a good idea i hate to see the dumb ass whose drooling all over the place that said this was smart....

I made up a Sesame Street rhyme for a game development law that should never be broken:

Gamers only share a screen when they share the same machine!

The devs can even make up their own little song about it and sing it to each other about 100 times a day until it sinks in.

lol so true also this should be a common rule of thumb for any dev games never shared screen in the past and were successful why on earth would they think we would want shared screen crap hell i would have taken the view from fallout new vegas

Absolutely.

I kept freakin dying...NOT because I couldn't play the game, but the camera enabled cheap shots and we had no way of getting to the enemy many times. You can't outrun homing missiles if you have to stay so close to companions sometimes, and the area is littered with immovable objects. It just got annoying.

The camera IS one thing I'm hoping they fix in a patch and do something to resolve this portion of the MP play.

i came on here this evening to post this exact thing..after a week of playing sp i went over my friends today to show him the game and to try out the mp..the camera game us so much trouble we quit in frustration trying to beat a boss..no telling how many times he or i died due to the cheap camera..its completely ridiculous..and no one can tell me that obsidian werent aware of this when they shipped the game..they cut a lot of corners on the mp side of this game..

Absolutely.

i came on here this evening to post this exact thing..after a week of playing sp i went over my friends today to show him the game and to try out the mp..the camera game us so much trouble we quit in frustration trying to beat a boss..no telling how many times he or i died due to the cheap camera..its completely ridiculous..and no one can tell me that obsidian werent aware of this when they shipped the game..they cut a lot of corners on the mp side of this game..

Well, by all accounts Obsidian still aren't aware of the camera problem. There's been no word from them since the European launch. I know they're reading the forums from looking at the user list, so hopefully they're working on something.

I hope. I speculate.

Well, by all accounts Obsidian still aren't aware of the camera problem.

Common sense dictates they are. What's not certain is how much they can change this in a patch, and how fast.

Well, by all accounts Obsidian still aren't aware of the camera problem.

Common sense dictates they are. What's not certain is how much they can change this in a patch, and how fast.

Agreed. I think I worded that previous post a little less thoughtfully than usual.

I'm totally with you, with the amount of issues raised in these forums, it will be very difficult to please everyone with a patch.

I'm not going to pretend to fully understand sales and marketing strategies, but I think as long as the game is successful, a lot of players may have to wait for an expansion to please them.

You can look on Amazon.com for at least an idea of how the title is selling compared to other titles. You can check on most played PSN games and Xbox Live games to gauge its popularity online. I don't know if Steam tracks numbers of players playing games but they might.

You can also read the reviews from other websites where opinions differ from those of here and get an idea of the games reception. Ther complaints are very similar. They also happen to be really similar to the complaints people had during development.

Steam tracks game playing stats, here.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: