Alpha Protocol won't start

KaneShepard

Question

I am up to here with Alpha Protocol. I bought it last week, and it simply won't work.

What I did:

1. Installed it

2. Tried to activate it, got an error

3. Downloaded patch 1.1 to work around the activation

4. When I tried to start Alpha Protocol, it simply said "Alpha Protocol has stopped working", but even if I said "Close Program" I still have to End Process with Task Manager. The game doesn't even start, it just stays on my desktop and gives me that error. I've tried several things, including re-installing (twice), running both APLauncher.exe and APGame.exe in Windows XP SP 2 compatibility mode, replacing some .dll files (OpenAL.dll and wrap_oal.dll, which is apparently bugged), and all of the above at the same time. I even updated my Sound and Display drivers. I'm fed up with this. And nobody else seems to be having the same problems. And what's worse, SEGA servers are down so I can't even bloody get customer support.

System Specs:

Operating System

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

CPU

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+

Windsor 90nm Technology

RAM

2.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 200MHz (4-4-4-12)

Motherboard

Packard Bell BV MCP61DM2MA (Socket AM2 )

Graphics

W1943 (1360x768@60Hz)

NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

Hard Drives

488GB Seagate ST350083 0AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

488GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG HD502HI SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

Optical Drives

Optiarc DVD RW AD-5170A ATA Device

Audio

High Definition Audio Device

I'll attach pictures.

Here's the Error Log:

Fatal error!

Address = 0x4052cd (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0x428402 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0x457d7a (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0x457e28 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0x457759 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0x42bc24 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xd73f14 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xd74059 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xd7631a (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xd770e7 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xd771f4 (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

Address = 0xc6579c (filename not found) [in I:\Program Files\SEGA\Alpha Protocol\binaries\apgame.exe]

BaseThreadInitThunk() Address = 0x75d01194 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\kernel32.dll]

RtlInitializeExceptionChain() Address = 0x7775b429 (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

RtlInitializeExceptionChain() Address = 0x7775b3fc (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

RtlInitializeExceptionChain() Address = 0x7775b3fc (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll]

post-32532-1309112267_thumb.png

post-32532-1309112283_thumb.png

Edited by KaneShepard

10 answers to this question

This might be a longshot, but did you try to set the compatibility for Vista SP2?

I've spent hours today trying to get this game to work (reinstalling, updating (bothe the EU and NA patches), rebooting, you name it) and after trying all compatibility modes (even the win98 ones -coughs-) I found that the single one that allowed my game to start up was the Vista SP2 one (I even used it on the installer to cover my bases). All other ones it booted up to a black screen for 5 seconds, then crashed and I had to shut it down with task manager to go for another try.

Like said, longshot, but maybe it helps.

Ah, sorry it didn't help. I hoped it would since our problems were very similar but for some reason this game is ridiculously difficult to get running for a game released in 2010. I've had an easier time getting games like Nox and Master of Orion 2 multiplayer running.

I hope you get it sorted and at least this reply will bump your thread.

Having same problem. As far as I can see, it doesn't appear in the program list and searching the hard drive doesn't help either altough it certainly seems to be taking up space. Does Alpha Protocol appear in your program list?

I solved the problem by downloading the EU version of the patch. It can be found here http://www.gamefront.com/files/17589748

I had been using the North American version. Not that it said it was the North American version. There seems to have been a cack-handed series of missteps in regard to this game. I mean, I buy the game and have to go through an activation procedure that I later find out by GOOGLING about it is completely unnecessary. Jesus

Yeah I am having the same exact stupid problem. I just got the game for Christmas along with a brand new graphics chip and I installed le game and failure from the start. The half retarded SEGA company and their stupid lawsuits against them caused the "We cannot give you support over the phone BS" and now in my tinkering I accidentally deleted the main ver 1.0 so now i cant install the Euro patch. Does anyone have the original file?