General Complaints

Normally, I would shelve a game of which I was disappointed, and believe me, nowadays that is common. In this particular case, though, seeing the Dungeon Siege name I feel compelled to write a short complaint note in the hopes that someone who worked on it will read it.

As an engineer in the games industry, I understand plenty about being forced in to bad decisions. But a handful of them seem unbelievable and avoidable.

Controls: I'm aware they're being fixed, but that's not an excuse. When GPG managed to make a superior control system 10 years ago, you know you have a problem. Your controls are terrible, particularly the camera control. I've developed camera controls before and I can't quite comprehend how a product of this caliber could fall so short on such a basic element. Hold right click to move? Really??? Run up to items and press e to pick them up? What in the world? Did you play the first two games?

Inventory: You're making dungeon siege. Do not change the inventory. Inventory management is a pillar of gameplay for dungeon siege. The game practically revolves around the acquisition of items. We've all played console games with fun inventory systems, even the original diablo port to PSX had the inventory right. Do not assume you must make a boring clunky inventory screen to support consoles. You're better than that. I hope.

Equipment appearance: Again, the game revolves around acquisition of loot. Why in the world would you regress so badly from the original two games? Surely you felt you could improve some aspects of the older games and branch out from them and put your stamp on the game, but why did you choose to neglect one of the main pillars of the game?

Neither the graphics nor the story are good enough (nor could they be) to alleviate the problems with the base gameplay. I'm sorry guys, you've put a lot of hard work in to this product but you had to know these aspects were not worthy of release. I hope you can show this post (and those like it) to whomever is responsible for forcing this release out the door. I was really hoping this year would be DS3, TL2, and D3, and I'm a little sad to see one of the games fall a little short.

Sincerely,

Will

I wonder what copy of DS 3 you did play because the story and gameplay is good the only bad is the online co-op, camera and loot system. I guess you will praise TL2 and D3 when get released because aren't made by Obsidian.

I wonders why so many haters of Obsidian post in this forums. If i don't like the games of a dev...easy i don't buy it and much less waste my time in their forums.

I wonder what copy of DS 3 you did play because the story and gameplay is good the only bad is the online co-op, camera and loot system. I guess you will praise TL2 and D3 when get released because aren't made by Obsidian.

I wonders why so many haters of Obsidian post in this forums. If i don't like the games of a dev...easy i don't buy it and much less waste my time in their forums.

Your English is about as poor as your comprehension and logic skills. Hes posting here because just like me he was hoping this game would be in any way enjoyable, and unlike me he didn't play a friends copy before buying this terrible game (friend also returned). I loved DS 1 and 2 and I've loved many many other games made by Obsidian, but this in inexcusable and so poorly developed it really feels like a early beta or alpha instead of a release. This game needs months of development to be in any way viable, and obsidian will probably announce a major financial decay this year due to this grievous mistake.

Edited by Psychatog

Normally, I would shelve a game of which I was disappointed, and believe me, nowadays that is common. In this particular case, though, seeing the Dungeon Siege name I feel compelled to write a short complaint note in the hopes that someone who worked on it will read it.

As an engineer in the games industry, I understand plenty about being forced in to bad decisions. But a handful of them seem unbelievable and avoidable.

Controls: I'm aware they're being fixed, but that's not an excuse. When GPG managed to make a superior control system 10 years ago, you know you have a problem. Your controls are terrible, particularly the camera control. I've developed camera controls before and I can't quite comprehend how a product of this caliber could fall so short on such a basic element. Hold right click to move? Really??? Run up to items and press e to pick them up? What in the world? Did you play the first two games?

Inventory: You're making dungeon siege. Do not change the inventory. Inventory management is a pillar of gameplay for dungeon siege. The game practically revolves around the acquisition of items. We've all played console games with fun inventory systems, even the original diablo port to PSX had the inventory right. Do not assume you must make a boring clunky inventory screen to support consoles. You're better than that. I hope.

Equipment appearance: Again, the game revolves around acquisition of loot. Why in the world would you regress so badly from the original two games? Surely you felt you could improve some aspects of the older games and branch out from them and put your stamp on the game, but why did you choose to neglect one of the main pillars of the game?

Neither the graphics nor the story are good enough (nor could they be) to alleviate the problems with the base gameplay. I'm sorry guys, you've put a lot of hard work in to this product but you had to know these aspects were not worthy of release. I hope you can show this post (and those like it) to whomever is responsible for forcing this release out the door. I was really hoping this year would be DS3, TL2, and D3, and I'm a little sad to see one of the games fall a little short.

Sincerely,

Will

I couldnt have said it better. You know I just picked up this little $15 game off of steam called Dungeons and Dragons Daggerfall, and while it isn't the classic RPG style that I prefer like you would see in the first 2 DS games, it suer is alot more enjoyable and less frustrating than DS3.

Your English is about as poor as your comprehension and logic skills. Hes posting here because just like me he was hoping this game would be in any way enjoyable, and unlike me he didn't play a friends copy before buying this terrible game (friend also returned). I loved DS 1 and 2 and I've loved many many other games made by Obsidian, but this in inexcusable and so poorly developed it really feels like a early beta or alpha instead of a release. This game needs months of development to be in any way viable, and obsidian will probably announce a major financial decay this year due to this grievous mistake.

LOL my English is poor like i guess your Spanish will be...but i think your logic is worst than mine; specially when your "complaints" are based on ridiculous hate. The game is not terrible like you said but is obvious that haters love to exaggerate. Edited by Alpha

i dont think anyone forced you to read this thread or reply..that was YOUR choice..so you wasted your own time there..

as for complaints i paid $60 bucks for this game therefore i have the right to complain as much as i want to and so does anyone else who paid good money for it...i could care less how the majority of you feel about the developers..im not a fanboy like most of you seem to be..i can see the flaws in a game no matter who makes it and I WILL complain about it all i want..ill a spade a spade whether ppl like it or not..

with that being said im enjoying the game except a few irritating flaws that i hope will be addressed..and i will complain about those if i choose too..

Edited by blueboykc

I loved DS 1 and 2 and I've loved many many other games made by Obsidian,

You know, this....

doesn't make sense.

All of Obsidians Games had either terrible PC Controls or a consolized interface. From KOTOR2 ugly big interface over NWN2 and all its problems regarding camera and controls to Alpha Protocols console UI and Fallout 3/NVs more console oriented design/UI

I mean did you people really play the same Obsidian games as me? I'm sure back then you also complained about the same thing. What exactly makes this stuff better in retrospect if it bothers you so much now?

Edited by C2B

Consolized ****, excuse my language but...i say this again, stop making excuses for bad development and hide after this word. A lot of great RPG games where on consoles/arcade and still back in the good old days people developed some insane games. 6-7-10 hours of game-play for an Action RPG/Dungeon Crawler? That so, so basic map? Check TES Daggerfall and you will see that to cross the entire map from one point to another it will take 2 weeks in real time, now that is a damn Open World! Of course those guys spend like 5 years to develop the game with pretty low budget and so many obstacles and now with all this tech and support from Square Enix, Obsidian was able to deliver this? I don't hate the game, i like it very much but items are simple, level 30 cap ( lol ) and no way to go in-game with the same character that you beat the final boss? Why would i create a new character? Choices? Let's be serious..."o.O last time i gave the Mansion to the witch and now i will chose to keep it" hmm i just got 2 different Deeds. There is nothing game braking in those choices and this is the reason i hate Choice related RPG because this tech it's still at the beginning and overall a waste of time.

Will, there well spoken!

as for complaints i paid $60 bucks for this game therefore i have the right to complain as much as i want to and so does anyone else who paid good money for it...
Because? There was a demo and reviews, no one told you to get the game before researching whether it suited your tastes or not.

as for complaints i paid $60 bucks for this game therefore i have the right to complain as much as i want to and so does anyone else who paid good money for it...
Because? There was a demo and reviews, no one told you to get the game before researching whether it suited your tastes or not.

thats a pat bs response if i ever read one..some ppl dont spend a lot of time on the internet researching every thing about a game..you ppl act like its the consumers fault that developers put out bad games..this forum is just as bad as the fallout nv forum was/is..cant complain about your favorite little developer its not their fault they put out faulty products its everyone elses fault..blah bla blah....pitiful..

thats a pat bs response if i ever read one..some ppl dont spend a lot of time on the internet researching every thing about a game..you ppl act like its the consumers fault that developers put out bad games..this forum is just as bad as the fallout nv forum was/is..cant complain about your favorite little developer its not their fault they put out faulty products its everyone elses fault..blah bla blah....pitiful..

Except that it's not, the game is fine it has a solid actiony hack and slash combat. It's just not the type of game the OP wanted. Said OP could've known this if they'd just played the demo, the demo was there specifically for this reason.

Also Fallout New Vegas is awesome (faulty products? what) and if you went to that forum just to complain (complain not criticise- and that's all most people here have been doing) then you should expect people to defend such a game when you're on the goddam fan community site for it.

after nv first launched you couldnt even go onto the forum to post an issue much less any kind of negative feed back without the fanboys calling you a liar a troll and every other thing in the book just for trying to get some help..fanboys = no criticism or problem is valid in any situation is the impression i got there..and it felt the same way here pretty much from the start..anyways im done..im pretty much happy with the game except a few minor bugs and one huge flaw..mp of course..so theres really no point in me continuing..i guess fanboyism is just the way it is here..oh wells..

Edited by blueboykc

thats a pat bs response if i ever read one..some ppl dont spend a lot of time on the internet researching every thing about a game..you ppl act like its the consumers fault that developers put out bad games.

It's the consumer's fault for blindly buying a game when they have multiple ways of ascertaining the game's quality and whenever its a game fit to their taste.

It doesn't take "research" to figure this out. You have google, you know game developers have forums where people post feedback and complaints about a game. Not using it is about the same level of blatant stupidity as driving at night with your lights off.

Thats a BS statement if I ever heard one, you know how many reviews I read that thought a game was so great, and then it ended up being terrible. Like Beauty, a good game is in the eye of the player, many people hated FEAR 2, but I loved it. Same can be said with DS3 I have ready more good reviews than bad, that doesn't make it a good game in my eyes because it is too far gone from the orignal formula that made the originals so good in my eyes, but there again I am the one that has to be satisfied with it, and I am not. And demos? I have played many demos that sucked, but the game ended up being rock solid, case in point Star Trek Online, the demo and beta sucked but the game ended up being good.

In DS3 the story & characters are way better than previous Dungeon Siege games (which tbh put me to sleep forcing me to quite halfway through) and so is the action.

The only problem is that the game is a terrible console port for PC gamers. Blurry textures, terrible controls and camera and typical stuttering bugs present in all Obsidian games. No surprises there.

I loved DS 1 and 2 and I've loved many many other games made by Obsidian,

You know, this....

doesn't make sense.

All of Obsidians Games had either terrible PC Controls or a consolized interface. From KOTOR2 ugly big interface over NWN2 and all its problems regarding camera and controls to Alpha Protocols console UI and Fallout 3/NVs more console oriented design/UI

I mean did you people really play the same Obsidian games as me? I'm sure back then you also complained about the same thing. What exactly makes this stuff better in retrospect if it bothers you so much now?

Apparantly. I thought most of their games had nice enough control schemes, inclusive of DS3. The only problem I see would be having to push E in order to pick things up, normally just having it as a mouse click would do fine. I can understand some people's beef with the controls of DS3 or KotOR 2, etc., but overall there aren't that many problems.

In DS3 the story & characters are way better than previous Dungeon Siege games (which tbh put me to sleep forcing me to quite halfway through) and so is the action.

The only problem is that the game is a terrible console port for PC gamers. Blurry textures, terrible controls and camera and typical stuttering bugs present in all Obsidian games. No surprises there.

In your opinion. I think DS2 was the best for gameplay IN MY OPINION.

You fanbpys know why gamers get so angry about bad games? Developers and publishers don't stand by the products they create and refuse to offer refunds for unsatisfied customers. So people complain ... it's all they can do and even then it falls on primarily deaf ears only to be met with vitriolic fanbboy responses from intellectually dishonest individuals.

Thats a BS statement if I ever heard one, you know how many reviews I read that thought a game was so great, and then it ended up being terrible. Like Beauty, a good game is in the eye of the player, many people hated FEAR 2, but I loved it. Same can be said with DS3 I have ready more good reviews than bad, that doesn't make it a good game in my eyes because it is too far gone from the orignal formula that made the originals so good in my eyes, but there again I am the one that has to be satisfied with it, and I am not. And demos? I have played many demos that sucked, but the game ended up being rock solid, case in point Star Trek Online, the demo and beta sucked but the game ended up being good.

I Agree with the above, reviews show/tell the opinion of that one person, not everyone will agree or disagree with them, along with demos I have as well played a lot of demos for games, some of those games have turned out to be quite different then what the demo showed.

This game has not just a few problems, it actually has a fair amount.

Camera Problem

Even in single player is horrible, I fee like I am looking more at the top of my screen then I am actually looking at the game.

I don't know about most people but usually people/chars don't look down when there moving, usually you look ahead to see whats coming.

MP Fix camera as everyone knows is horrible

Gameplay

The gameplay/action of this game is no where near a good hack/slash game, it may be about average in my books

I played the first two ds games, and I would have to say, I would rather them have kept it more the group base combat compared to what they have now

Story

The story is decent, but, it feels way to short, only parts of it keep you engaged, and again cause of camera problem stated above I find myself being taken away from that

story, cause i am always dealing with the camera

Controls

I know they are fixing the controls or trying to already, I can actually get use to the controls to the point where i can use them, My problem comes back to the camera that actually makes it hard

to control the chars more then the actually controls do.

Gear/Customization

As others have said in this post and others, I actually find there to be a lack of variety for gear, I find myself sticking with some of the items from 2 areas back in the story.

Customization/Skills for chars, I would actually of preferred to have more to choose from, or Closer to the games were when you could have them trained into anything you like

Party

I would actually have perferred if they made it more of a group orientated combat, compared to what it is, would of been nice to use all the chars in combat, not just one with you.

You can't spend 5 minutes to look for the preview and/or review threads on the official forums or go to GT and watch some gameplay videos, but you have time to copy paste the same bitching for weeks and call everyone a fanboy who doesn't hate the game. Uh-huh.

Also yeah, it's your fault if you waste money on something you know you wouldn't have wanted if you paid attention. That's how the world works.

Thats a BS statement if I ever heard one, you know how many reviews I read that thought a game was so great, and then it ended up being terrible.
You know how many reviews I read that were vague ("Art style is great!)", stated they hadn't played MP yet? Don't use them as a reference point.

Reviews aren't the only source of info on a game. As I said above, there's previews (which describe gameplay), screenshots, gameplay videos, interviews, user reviews, and if all else fails, you can just register here before the game is released and ask. Plenty of people did it, even if they didn't necessarily like the answers.

I would actually have perferred if they made it more of a group orientated combat, compared to what it is, would of been nice to use all the chars in combat, not just one with you.
While I respect your opinion, that's not a problem, just something you don't like.

I couldnt have said it better. You know I just picked up this little $15 game off of steam called Dungeons and Dragons Daggerfall, and while it isn't the classic RPG style that I prefer like you would see in the first 2 DS games, it suer is alot more enjoyable and less frustrating than DS3.

Then you're extremely lucky you bought it post patch then. Pre-patch Daggerdale game was a technical nightmare, and still may be.

You only need to reasd the list of fixes, and see that there was a ton more that wasn't mentioned to know just how awful it was on release from a technical standpoint. Dungeon Siege, despite its flaws, 3 is near perfect in comparison.

Edited by Unreal Warfare

Then you're extremely lucky you bought it post patch then. Pre-patch Daggerdale game was a technical nightmare, and still may be.

You only need to reasd the list of fixes, and see that there was a ton more that wasn't mentioned to know just how awful it was on release from a technical standpoint. Dungeon Siege, despite its flaws, 3 is near perfect in comparison.

you mean hey finally patched it? i havent played it since a few days after it was released on xbla. i was afraid id get the skill point bug and i was tired of all the freezing..ill admit even with its flaws ds3 is better than daggerdale..

You can't spend 5 minutes to look for the preview and/or review threads on the official forums or go to GT and watch some gameplay videos, but you have time to copy paste the same bitching for weeks and call everyone a fanboy who doesn't hate the game.

yes... :(