Ranged Lucas-->most powerful ranged character

1.fully upgrade wind shear to slow

2.have high agility, will and doom, and passive criticals

3.activate endless wrath

4.use wind shear and watch how he demolishes and incapacitates everything in his path before any enemy even reaches him

btw criticals and damage are so high that often you won't even need to activate endless wrath.

Also all attributes from your two handed sword are imparted on wind shear so for example that sword you got from Drakomir is extremely effective.

Nope, Katarina is objectively the highest damage dealing character. Also is objectively the toughest. She is absurdly overpowered compared to anything else you can come up with. She needs exactly 2 stats - agility and doom. You need the following skills (rest is up to taste): Chosen Grave(debuff evolution), Caress of Suffering (debuff evolution), Flintflock Fury (damage evolution), Call of the Hunt (agility boost evolution). From the talent section, you want Steady Aim (agility boost), Calling Your Shots (your free-focus-from-skills generator), Critical Precision (damage for crits), and most importantly, Call of the Hunt (25% power restoration on a crit)

Why is this so awesome?

Damage Output

Flintflock Fury scales really, really, really well with Doom. Its easily the strongest form of scaling in this game. It fires about 3-5 shots a second (not sure as to exact rate but its easily the fastest attack in the game). By the time I got a few doom items (Carbine of Brutality, 2 pieces of jewelry with +20 doom each); it hit for 400 damage PER CRIT. As the game went on and I slowly increased doom/will/attack/talents, this number eventually rose to 1,200 damage per crit under ideal conditions (both curses, empower). By the time I finished off Rajani, I had 50% crit on my Rifle. It never went below that again, hovering between 50 and 75% depending on how recent was my gear/call of the hunt upgrade.

Bonus: Curse of the Grave, empowered, basically covers most if not all of your enemies with a massive slow. When they die, they explode for damage that, upon critting, is roughly the same as your Flintflock Fury shots. Caress of Suffering and Warding Rituals also do great damage, but I stopped bothering with them for it.

Lulz Bonus: Katarina's "Damage by rolling" Talent has a funny synergy with Doom/Crit Rate - it deals about 1.5x damage of your Doom Value on a crit. Towards the end of the game, with just 1 point in it (doesn't scale beyond that noticably), I could do 300-350 damage by just DODGING through my enemies per roll.

Just how hard does this hit overall? You will kill every non-giant/heavy knight enemy in ONE Volley (13 focus or 1 empowerment). At point blank range, you can kill every single non-boss enemy in 1 Empowered Flintlock Fury. Bosses? Warbeast? Foundry Cyclops Boss? Jayne herself? Can be killed in 2-3 Empowered Flintflock Fury volleys. As a side note - I literally managed to kill the Warbeast as it was performing its first charge, it died as it was crashing into me. Now, Practically speaking you can't always land *ideal* Fury volleys, but really, it's at most having to fire it an extra 2-3 more times. Still the fastest killer by far.

Sustainability

When you have 4 Orbs and maxed out Thrill of the Hunt, a single crit gives you a full power Orb. An Empowered Flintlock Fury fires what looks like 18 (or more) shots. With 60% crit rate, well, let's just say you will never run out of power ever again. You can literally use only Empowered Spells by this point, and it will be faster than with focus.

But until you reach that point or if you really want focus or this will happen by itself, there is Curse of the Grave. Empower it to hit 6-10 enemies. Kill them. Get 60-100 Focus back from them. It's not quite as "infinite" as Lucas or Reinhart focus restoration buffs, but it is probably the fastest way you can build focus in the game.

Survivability

The big one. I thought it was impossible to build a tank on Hardcore. Apparently, the tank is the only character without a true melee attack with the worst heals in the game. The keys are Empowered Call of the Grave and Caress of Suffering. Early on you rely a little on Ward of Repulsion, but it becomes largely obsolete towards the end of the game. The life steal evolution on the healing spell basically makes you immortal against all but against 3 specific enemies.

An enemy that is cursed by both CotG and CoS has its damage cuts by a ridiculous percentage. You can do what no other character in the game can do with this - you can stand there and take full hits from bosses. Archon of War? She hit me for 90 damage tops a hit. The War Beast? I let it charge through me for the lulz. There are exactly 3 enemies in this game that can actually kill you through these two debuffs and the healing. Jayne Kassinder (her standard melee attack will tear through you fairly fast), one of her Archons in her second arena fight, and the final boss because I don't think you can actually curse him.

There are only 2 things that prevent this build from being absolute faceroll. One is the Gent Fight - you can't crit buildings so it takes a while to kill them with your ridiculously low base damage (high agility/doom means your standard rifle attacks hit, at best, for 30-50 damage). The other is the final boss fight - the boss is also immune to crits. Note, the fights are still easy as hell - Gent's Golems can be wiped out in 1-2 volleys; the final boss's summons can be either killed or ignored at your leisure because the boss kills them by himself before entering his "hit me" state. And as long as you bring along a secondary rifle with high Attack/Willpower attributes (this game is littered with them, many are very powerful uniques), these fights don't even take that along because you can just fire Empowered Heartseeking Shots at your leisure.

This build has a quirk of basically being the only build where leveling up after a certain point becomes undesirable as you lose about 4-5% crit chance every time you level, and the benefits from skill points after completing your core evolution/talent picks is negligible. Only gear matters after that. I am fairly certain you could reach 90%-100% crit chance with Reinhart's +25% Agility Geometry of Evolution and by rushing through the game to maximize agility:level ratio, but that is just damn silly by that point. Overall, this build has only 1 weak point - at a certain point between the beginning and middle of the game, enemy Archers are going to be unbearably obnoxious.

Edited by toastification

That's all very good and well but I can't play as a female character, it just breaks the immersion. I'm male therefore-->male characters in RPG.

That's why it was a bad decision to have fixed character selection instead of choosing gender and class yourself.

BTW you dont want to spend any points in Steady Aim (agility boost) talent unless you want to gimp your self as this talent along with all the other top left most ones on the other characters gets +1 point per time you spend talent points (IE by ignoring it you get it for free)

Nope, Katarina is objectively the highest damage dealing character. Also is objectively the toughest. She is absurdly overpowered compared to anything else you can come up with. She needs exactly 2 stats - agility and doom. You need the following skills (rest is up to taste): Chosen Grave(debuff evolution), Caress of Suffering (debuff evolution), Flintflock Fury (damage evolution), Call of the Hunt (agility boost evolution). From the talent section, you want Steady Aim (agility boost), Calling Your Shots (your free-focus-from-skills generator), Critical Precision (damage for crits), and most importantly, Call of the Hunt (25% power restoration on a crit)

Why is this so awesome?

Damage Output

Flintflock Fury scales really, really, really well with Doom. Its easily the strongest form of scaling in this game. It fires about 3-5 shots a second (not sure as to exact rate but its easily the fastest attack in the game). By the time I got a few doom items (Carbine of Brutality, 2 pieces of jewelry with +20 doom each); it hit for 400 damage PER CRIT. As the game went on and I slowly increased doom/will/attack/talents, this number eventually rose to 1,200 damage per crit under ideal conditions (both curses, empower). By the time I finished off Rajani, I had 50% crit on my Rifle. It never went below that again, hovering between 50 and 75% depending on how recent was my gear/call of the hunt upgrade.

Bonus: Curse of the Grave, empowered, basically covers most if not all of your enemies with a massive slow. When they die, they explode for damage that, upon critting, is roughly the same as your Flintflock Fury shots. Caress of Suffering and Warding Rituals also do great damage, but I stopped bothering with them for it.

Lulz Bonus: Katarina's "Damage by rolling" Talent has a funny synergy with Doom/Crit Rate - it deals about 1.5x damage of your Doom Value on a crit. Towards the end of the game, with just 1 point in it (doesn't scale beyond that noticably), I could do 300-350 damage by just DODGING through my enemies per roll.

Just how hard does this hit overall? You will kill every non-giant/heavy knight enemy in ONE Volley (13 focus or 1 empowerment). At point blank range, you can kill every single non-boss enemy in 1 Empowered Flintlock Fury. Bosses? Warbeast? Foundry Cyclops Boss? Jayne herself? Can be killed in 2-3 Empowered Flintflock Fury volleys. As a side note - I literally managed to kill the Warbeast as it was performing its first charge, it died as it was crashing into me. Now, Practically speaking you can't always land *ideal* Fury volleys, but really, it's at most having to fire it an extra 2-3 more times. Still the fastest killer by far.

Sustainability

When you have 4 Orbs and maxed out Thrill of the Hunt, a single crit gives you a full power Orb. An Empowered Flintlock Fury fires what looks like 18 (or more) shots. With 60% crit rate, well, let's just say you will never run out of power ever again. You can literally use only Empowered Spells by this point, and it will be faster than with focus.

But until you reach that point or if you really want focus or this will happen by itself, there is Curse of the Grave. Empower it to hit 6-10 enemies. Kill them. Get 60-100 Focus back from them. It's not quite as "infinite" as Lucas or Reinhart focus restoration buffs, but it is probably the fastest way you can build focus in the game.

Survivability

The big one. I thought it was impossible to build a tank on Hardcore. Apparently, the tank is the only character without a true melee attack with the worst heals in the game. The keys are Empowered Call of the Grave and Caress of Suffering. Early on you rely a little on Ward of Repulsion, but it becomes largely obsolete towards the end of the game. The life steal evolution on the healing spell basically makes you immortal against all but against 3 specific enemies.

An enemy that is cursed by both CotG and CoS has its damage cuts by a ridiculous percentage. You can do what no other character in the game can do with this - you can stand there and take full hits from bosses. Archon of War? She hit me for 90 damage tops a hit. The War Beast? I let it charge through me for the lulz. There are exactly 3 enemies in this game that can actually kill you through these two debuffs and the healing. Jayne Kassinder (her standard melee attack will tear through you fairly fast), one of her Archons in her second arena fight, and the final boss because I don't think you can actually curse him.

There are only 2 things that prevent this build from being absolute faceroll. One is the Gent Fight - you can't crit buildings so it takes a while to kill them with your ridiculously low base damage (high agility/doom means your standard rifle attacks hit, at best, for 30-50 damage). The other is the final boss fight - the boss is also immune to crits. Note, the fights are still easy as hell - Gent's Golems can be wiped out in 1-2 volleys; the final boss's summons can be either killed or ignored at your leisure because the boss kills them by himself before entering his "hit me" state. And as long as you bring along a secondary rifle with high Attack/Willpower attributes (this game is littered with them, many are very powerful uniques), these fights don't even take that along because you can just fire Empowered Heartseeking Shots at your leisure.

This build has a quirk of basically being the only build where leveling up after a certain point becomes undesirable as you lose about 4-5% crit chance every time you level, and the benefits from skill points after completing your core evolution/talent picks is negligible. Only gear matters after that. I am fairly certain you could reach 90%-100% crit chance with Reinhart's +25% Agility Geometry of Evolution and by rushing through the game to maximize agility:level ratio, but that is just damn silly by that point. Overall, this build has only 1 weak point - at a certain point between the beginning and middle of the game, enemy Archers are going to be unbearably obnoxious.

I'll try this buil dwith Kat ty for share .

^^

i wanted to ty because thanks for ty tips i am cheating Anjali with Katarina, I though she was a weak character and i must admit i was wrong. You are right when you said that she is the toughest char and the highest dealing damage. Playing her campaign on hardcore is really less frustrating with that build. I would like Devs fix her AI , so she can roll during fights instead of run. I wasted the point i add to her roll talent because she never rolled.

Now they'll nerf her in a future patch. :sorcerer:

Edit:

Explain the mechanic of this to me. At what levels do you get these free points? I haven't seen anything like that happen on all 4 of my characters.

I think some people have a bug/glitch where this happens. Doesn't for me tho.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I doubt Obsidian will subject this game to such specific balance changes, there likely isn't enough demand for it as every build is viable on every difficulty and this isn't a game with persistent multiplayer. At best I hope they will keep track for such multipliers in mind for the future.

And nerf dodge. #1 enemy of action games, infinite dodge roll spam.

Well, they sure like/d to alter the weapon balance & other things in FNV. And that game doesn't have any multiplayer at all. ;) But I agree that DS3 probably won't be worked on to that degree, for various reasons.

I was mostly being humorous in my original post. :)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Explain the mechanic of this to me. At what levels do you get these free points? I haven't seen anything like that happen on all 4 of my characters.

You get them after you spent a point in a talent (as long as you don't spend any points in the first option this freezes the skill), and you levelled up.

The other characters (the none picked ones) get them as well but only 1 to start with then they get +1 per training time (IE if you just pick one up at level 4 you only have 1 freebee until lvl 5 if pick up at lvl 10 you still have one freebee skill on that character.

BTW I am using the PC version so it might be a PC bug.