No voice during opening - PS3 Slim 250GB

thetardisisaweapon

Question

Greetings,

I did the following:

- Updated my 250 GB PS3 Slim to 3.66

- Disconnected from the Internet

- Installed DS3 then quit (yes, slowly - I didn't interrupt the process, I waited for everything to load fully)

- Reconnected to the Internet

- Started DS3 and downloaded the game update (14 MB, to version 1.01 I think it said)

- Used the code to download the bonus items (Best Buy)

- Set the game's options (set the music and sound to 80 while leaving the others at 100, turned off the targeting reticule, and adjusted the brightness)

- Started a new game. During the opening cinematic, there was no voice, only music. I quit the game, restarted it, and still no voice. I restarted the PS3 and started a new game, and still no voice. (I didn't ever play past the opening cinematic)

- I then deleted the installed game data, reinstalled, and started a new game (*without* downloading the game update or the DLC). I now have voice for the opening cinematic.

So, what is causing the bug with the voice? Can I download the game updates safely? How about the bonus items? If it's not safe to downlaod now, what's the ETA for fixing this?

Thanks for the help (presuming you do, in fact, fix this bug...)

12 answers to this question

What exactly is the bug itself? Just that there is no narrator's voice when you start a new game? Does everything else sound OK afterwards (or in other cutscenes)?

As far as patching goes, they've been doing a few small, incremental updates (I imagine for individual, gamebreaking bugs), but a big 'proper' patch is on the way. If you weren't having major problems with the game before, then you might simply want to hold off on the updates for now. DLCs shouldn't matter.

no sound in opening, cut scenes or ending.

Thanks chain, so it's not just the voice that's been affected.

Tigranes - I didn't play past the opening video. I was worried about there being other bugs. So, the only bug I encountered was the missing voice. By playing without downloading any updates though, the voice is present on the opening movie (and presumably on the cut scenes and ending, based on what chain said). It seems like, for the moment, playing without the game updates is my best option, unless the 14 MB of updates currently up for the PS3 fix more severe issues... Do they?

Edited by thetardisisaweapon

no sound in opening, cut scenes or ending.

Thanks chain, so it's not just the voice that's been affected.

Tigranes - I didn't play past the opening video. I was worried about there being other bugs. So, the only bug I encountered was the missing voice. By playing without downloading any updates though, the voice is present on the opening movie (and presumably on the cut scenes and ending, based on what chain said). It seems like, for the moment, playing without the game updates is my best option, unless the 14 MB of updates currently up for the PS3 fix more severe issues... Do they?

No problem. You got rid of the update in order for the sound to be restored just to be clear

(120GB Slim)

I just got the game 2 hours ago for my birthday and I too have this, it happened in the beginning cut-scene and the scene after you meet up with the legion guy. Game sound seemed fine, but I'll try deleting the save data and try it again.

EDIT: I just uninstalled and reinstalled the game data and did not download the patch and the cut-scenes worked with full voice.. Only bad thing is it automatically signed me out because I didn't install the patch >_>

Edited by Crazee_gamer

Same problem here, 320GB Slim. Im using an Onkyo AV for the sound.

The only way to play with cutscene's voice is not updating. But i wanted to play coop the whole game.

I hope this is fixed asap.

Randy

PD: I understand now why some people were returning the game because failed sound. A bit extreme i guess but understandable.

btw I work on a game store. :(

I also noticed this problem right away after doing the patch upgrade today. There is no audio for the narration (ie. the speech audio). The music is playing and the text caption is displaying ok.

I have an original first version PS3 20GB.

I also decided to delete all my Dungeon Siege 3 saved games and game data to see if it helped. Upon restarting the game, it downloading and installing the patch again, the problem was the same.

I am surprised something this basic did not get detected by a QA team. I am looking forward to this being resolved and some great working updates to follow.

What exactly is the bug itself? Just that there is no narrator's voice when you start a new game? Does everything else sound OK afterwards (or in other cutscenes)?

As far as patching goes, they've been doing a few small, incremental updates (I imagine for individual, gamebreaking bugs), but a big 'proper' patch is on the way. If you weren't having major problems with the game before, then you might simply want to hold off on the updates for now. DLCs shouldn't matter.

Tigranes,

Any news about a fix on this problem?

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm just a mod, so don't know what they're up to over in Obsidian - the big patch is still coming, though.

You don't miss anything by just reading the text narration for the opening cutscene though. Surely that by itself won't stop you from enjoying the game, for now? (Of course, it should still be fixed when it can.)

Sorry, I'm just a mod, so don't know what they're up to over in Obsidian - the big patch is still coming, though.

You don't miss anything by just reading the text narration for the opening cutscene though. Surely that by itself won't stop you from enjoying the game, for now? (Of course, it should still be fixed when it can.)

My worry is that there's more wrong than just the sound, if something big like eliminating voices was missed when checking the patch. If the patch introduces other issues which are worse or more likely for me to encounter than what they fix, then it's not worth downloading them at the moment.

However, without any information about what issues have been fixed with the "mini-patches," I can't make an informed decision.

I'm enjoying the game, I love this genre-- I put many, many hours into Sacred 2-- but I'm putting the game on hold for the moment. I've reached Stonebridge without encountering any other bugs, but I don't want to proceed until the "big patch" comes. Hopefully, the big patch will fix the quests that cannot be completed, forcing a re-load of an earlier save. Although, again, that might not be a bug that's present in the game on the disc, minus the updates...perhaps someone knows the answer to that?