Open Letter to Obsidian

Regardless, I do, fully, agree with you--even DS3 with all its consolisation remains a far more enthralling experience than ANY hack-and-slash game ever, because it had a really, incredibly talented developer design it.

Dungeon Siege 3 is the best hack n slash ever ... in your opinion. Is there a man at your home with a gun to head right now? Do you need me to call the popo?

Also, quoting you, did I ever say it wast the "best" hack-and-slash ever or the most ENTHRALLING?

I kind of get the feeling you're confusing me with:

I'd say DS 3 is one of the best hack n' slash RPGs I've ever played. Hell, it is the best single player one I've played. Every one has been extremely tedious and they wear out their welcome. Finally beat the game today and I loved the ending I got.

Edit: Actually, scratch that last bit, he posted after you quoted me.

Edited by WulfenMortys

Liking the game and saying its the best ARPG ever are two different things. Im cool with people thinking this is the best hack n slah ever as long as they cool with me saying they are wrong.

How can a subjective truth be wrong?

It can be wrong from a different subjective point of view. You think it is the best ARPG ever and I don't.

I hope you guys understand almost all of what I post is subjective. I tend to think it is implied ... I do not think my opinions are cold hard facts.

Liking the game and saying its the best ARPG ever are two different things. Im cool with people thinking this is the best hack n slah ever as long as they cool with me saying they are wrong.

Saying "I think this is the best hack n slash ever" is not wrong. The key words, "I think," are important. Obviously there is something about these words that confuses you, whether it is because you are ignorant, not very good at English, or both. You are at best a very persistent crusader against things other people like but you don't and at worst a very sly troll.

Why don't you do us all a favour and push the "log out" button right next to your user name towards the top of the page?

How can a subjective truth be wrong?

It can be wrong from a different subjective point of view. You think it is the best ARPG ever and I don't.

I hope you guys understand almost all of what I post is subjective. I tend to think it is implied ... I do not think my opinions are cold hard facts.

Well, isn't that where all of this has gone slightly awry? You've misinterpreted my post where I called it the most enthralling hack-and-slash game I've ever played and by far the most enjoyable because it catered to parts of what made both cRPG and hack-and-slash worlds appealing.

Is it the best of either sub-genre? No, because it's neither the pinnacle of either.

You are not only making a mountain out of a molehill but a mountain out a molehill (read: straw-man) you built yourself.

Edit:

Saying "I think this is the best hack n slash ever" is not wrong. The key words, "I think," are important. Obviously there is something about these words that confuses you, whether it is because you are ignorant, not very good at English, or both. You are at best a very persistent crusader against things other people like but you don't and at worst a very sly troll.

I'm getting this stark impression as well.

Edited by WulfenMortys

While I won't call this the best ARPG of all time or anything like that, its still a great game.

I just don't pay attention to people needlessly bashing what is still an excellent game. It seems people are just very butthurt this isn't a clone of the previous 2 titles or some other hack n slash dungeon crawler.

Maybe thats why its good I have a fresh perspective, i've never played the previous titles. And as i've said before, I could understand if this were the same developer making a 3rd installment that let everyone down. But thats not the case, so i'm not judging it on that fact.

Most other complaints i've read are mere personal preferences, with the exception of the keybinding issue on PC's. That does suck and i'm glad they're fixing it. No game should lack the support to change the controls in my opinion.

As for the rest of the game its great. Fix the 3 minor issues I have (loot balance, camera, new game+) and i'm completely happy.

You would think this is the worst game on the planet the way some people talk on here, and its far from it. Go see what happened to Brink and you'll realize how spoiled you are.

I think Obsidian would love to make a proper old school RPG, they just strongly believe that it would probably spell the end of their company, at least in its current form (i.e. high-profile, high-budget titles). Whether they're right or not we will probably never know, but in the end you can only speak what you do - i.e. they can't release a more streamlined, console-friendly game like DS3 then say "Oh, we think people that can't handle making 6 characters are stupid".

I would actually be quite happy to be a kind of subscriber to Obsidian, paying a monthly fee, getting exclusive "Thanks for supporting us" goodies every so often, DLC, whatever if it helps them stay independent and do what they love. I would be quite happy knowing that I can contribute to a developer I love on a more regular basis if it means they always make games that THEY love to make.

Maybe I'm just odd? *shrug*

Well Troika's insistence on sticking to the old school games kinda killed them...Obsidian probably doesn't want to go the same way. And to be fair compared to other rpg developers they've still retained a lot of depth and choice and consequences. Even DS3 for all its consolisation has far deeper mechanics and branching storyline than the stuff Bioware and Bethesda have been making recently (Skyrim in particular looks like the most dumbed down game I've ever seen).

Troika became legends and their games will be remembered forever. When GOG upped their games, I was happy to buy them all over again. I hope that, at some point, they up ol' Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines so that I can once again support it. Unfortunately I believe Activision (the devil incarnate) own that IP and are unlikely to ever allow it to go DRM-free.

Troika were a fantastic developer and, as I said, too great for their time. I firmly believe that if they had to come back, it would be as a phoenix rising from the ashes--one helluva sight to behold.

Regardless, I do, fully, agree with you--even DS3 with all its consolisation remains a far more enthralling experience than ANY hack-and-slash game ever, because it had a really, incredibly talented developer design it.

If I said this anywhere else, I'm sure that I would be royally flamed, but Obsidian is a better RPG developer than BioWare and a VASTLY better RPG developer than Bethesda (seriously, have Bethesda ever actually made a single REAL RPG, or just an action adventure romp with a few hack-and-slash RPG mechanics while offering no tangible choices, consequences, etc? Think about it. The best thing that happened to the Fallout franchise since its revival is when Obsidian worked on New Vegas).

BioWare just has better marketing, but they sold their souls to EA and it's been starting to show quite a bit recently.

Obsidian needs to remain as independent as they possibly can, and I would love to do anything in my power to keep them that way.

Also, if I ever win the lottery (seriously), I'm going to come knocking on Obsidian's door and ask if I can help them make the games they want to make.

I honestly wish Obsidian the best and I never, ever, want to have happen to them what happened to Troika. But I truly, honestly wish that they would go back to their roots.

Even small developers like Piranha Bytes have their fame and loyal cult followers, even a game as "hardcore" (I hate using that word) as the first Witcher game, made by a completely unknown developer at the time, became famous because it stuck to what it believed in--they didn't try to please ANYONE but themselves.

I kind of wish I could just give Obsidian a hug and tell them that they have some really die-hard fans out there, that we love their games but we know that there's the mother of all gems just waiting to be put together that will show the world what a REAL developer can do.

Obsidian, the devs who gave me a character like Kreia, none have matched some of the experiences you've given me over the years (Planescape & KotOR2, specifically). Remember what made you GREAT! It's time for a revolution, kids :p

I bolded the line I was referring to. EDIT: It used to say best ever, but you altered it to say most enthralling like that is even a difference.

BTW Obsidian are awesome. DS3 is only OK. When an awesome dev makes an OK game the flaws stand out more I guess.

BTW I also think that the vast majority of released titles are absolute rubbish (not by Obsiidan lol by games industry as a whole). And by rubbish I mean almost all games made I would not even rent. Gaming is a really fun hobby and RPG's are my favorite but I am highly critical of even games that I like. Most games that I don't even care about aren't worth $5 let alone $60. Dungeon Siege 3 is worth 20 - 30 USD.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

I bolded the line I was referring to.

Read the previous post where I quoted that exact same line. Again, I ask you: did I call it the "BEST" hack-and-slash ever or the most ENTHRALLING.

Pay close attention to the words and where all of this went wrong will dawn on you, I'm sure.

Why don't you do us all a favour and push the "log out" button right next to your user name towards the top of the page?

Well I think he is wrong. Me saying his opinion is wrong is obviously my opinion. Based on your post above I am not wrong either am I?

Now I'm supposed to do you a favor by logging out?

How's dungeon siege 3 ranking on Amazon? Most played PSN or Xbox Live games? How about the multiplayer community? How have the development decisions made for this game fared as far as public reaction is concerned?

I bolded the line I was referring to.

Read the previous post where I quoted that exact same line. Again, I ask you: did I call it the "BEST" hack-and-slash ever or the most ENTHRALLING.

Pay close attention to the words and where all of this went wrong will dawn on you, I'm sure.

You edited your original post. It used to say best. I don't think the edit changes anything though. It isn't the most enthralling ARPG either and my arguments against that point would be exactly the same as my arguments against calling it the best.

You edited your original post. It used to say best. I don't think the edit changes anything though. It isn't the most enthralling ARPG either and my arguments against that point would be exactly the same as my arguments against calling it the best.

First off, I'd like to draw your attention to the timestamp of my edit:

This post has been edited by WulfenMortys: Yesterday, 01:05 AM

Secondly, I'd like to draw your attention to the time you quoted me:

Dungeon Siege 3 is the best hack n slash ever ... in your opinion. Is there a man at your home with a gun to head right now? Do you need me to call the popo?

Approximately six hours AFTER I edited it.

So Vilhelm I am going to politely suggest you stop lying about me. You can attack me and call me names, debate my opinions, deride my taste in games all you want but please don't lie about me.

You, sir, are a hypocrite and troll of note.

Edited by WulfenMortys

The Dungeon Siege III forums are for debating the game, not each other. Be polite and respectful of each other, and follow the forum guidelines.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The most enthralling ARPG ever. The best ARPG ever.

You claim there is a big difference here? I don't see one. Its just a different way of saying the same thing. Maybe you didn't edit your post who cares? If you really didn't and just read the most enthralling arpg ever as the best ever and you don't agree that the two are synonomous then I apologize for not being more specific. It doesn't change one single element of the argument.

It doesn't change one single element of the argument. Dungeon Siege 3 is NOT the most enthralling ARPG ever.

Keep up the personal insults though guys it shows your true colors.