it's not bad, but not great either

Okay, so I've been playing a bit this game and I have mixed feelings:

I expected a heavy based loot driven game with loots of enemies/bosses to loot and large areas to explore, instead I get a "light" version of Baldur's Gate:DA with Mass Effectish conversations (and animations?) running in corridors...

On the other side the classes are fun, not the bests, but fun nontheless.

It feels like the tried to mix genres into this game and in the end they didn't manage to get the best of each genre into it.

Goodamn it, I guess I'm gonna get stuck with Sacred 2 for a long time...

Feature list for the game is too slim. Solid mechanics and stable gameplay is not enough. That's just the foundation for a game. If you compare the feature list for this ARPG to a the feature list for many ARPG on the PSP the feature list for DS3 is excrutiatingly bare bones. I'm just speaking pure gameplay features/ and options (ie modes of play and stuff) because it is a non subjective point from which to discuss the game. The game needed another year of development.

Conversations aren't like ME , the only thing similar is the dialogue wheel nothing more. Conversation are like must be in all RPG's . At least aren't like in Sacred 2 . Is funny how some gamers thinks Bioware is the pioneer of everything related to RPG's.

Edited by Alpha

Whats funny is i'm typically the guy who tears down a game when its crap and was advertised as something its clearly not (like Brink).

I have very few complaints about this game, they're not even really complaints. Just 3 minor issues that could be addressed, but even if they're not I'm happy with my purchase.

As i've mentioned before, tweak the MP camera, tweak the MP loot, and add New Game+. Those 3 minor things would make this a flawless console dungeon crawler, and something PC gamers will eternally complain that it isn't DS1/2, Diablo, or whatever. (j/k guys, innocent poke).

As i've mentioned before, tweak the MP camera, tweak the MP loot, and add New Game+. Those 3 minor things would make this a flawless console dungeon crawler, and something PC gamers will eternally complain that it isn't DS1/2, Diablo, or whatever. (j/k guys, innocent poke).

This. :)

Whats funny is i'm typically the guy who tears down a game when its crap and was advertised as something its clearly not (like Brink).

I have very few complaints about this game, they're not even really complaints. Just 3 minor issues that could be addressed, but even if they're not I'm happy with my purchase.

No offense, but you are dead wrong. There is far more than a few minor things wrong with this game. First off, in an attempt to get it to the console, the keyboard controls are very clunky. Secondly, the required dialog is boring and has no real effect no matter which option you choose. The combat is mostly hack and slash with very little other stuff. The inventory system is the worst I have ever seen. There is no character to the gear unlike the previous 2 versions of the game. The coop and online multiplayer are horrible. Not only can you not translate a character over from the single player, but the save you make is only good for that online game. This game has gotten a 5-6 rating from just about every site I have found. I am extremely disappointed, considering I really enjoyed this series....before this one. Torchlight 2 is coming in July and I am guessing the sales of this game will drop drastically once that comes out.

No offense, but you are dead wrong. There is far more than a few minor things wrong with this game. First off, in an attempt to get it to the console, the keyboard controls are very clunky. Secondly, the required dialog is boring and has no real effect no matter which option you choose. The combat is mostly hack and slash with very little other stuff. The inventory system is the worst I have ever seen. There is no character to the gear unlike the previous 2 versions of the game. The coop and online multiplayer are horrible. Not only can you not translate a character over from the single player, but the save you make is only good for that online game. This game has gotten a 5-6 rating from just about every site I have found. I am extremely disappointed, considering I really enjoyed this series....before this one. Torchlight 2 is coming in July and I am guessing the sales of this game will drop drastically once that comes out.

You didn't play Dragon Age 2 did you...now THAT was bad inventory.

I AM excited about Torchlight 2. If that had come out this month you better bet I'd be playing that right now.

its sad to say but people are going to stop playing this game after MAYBE a month...

There is going to be a 'no this is a great game bla ba bla...' reaction from the fanboys, but fact is there's just not enough to keep anyone going in this game... it takes no time at all to blitz through this game, I've gone through with all toons (I keep changing though as I get bored) and there's no difficulty that's a real challenge, heroic is easy once you get an idea how the game work but very hard online due to nothing more than the games camera....

I've pretty much stopped playing and gone back to playing other games as starting over and over again but doing the same stuff just doesn't stimulate me due to no reward for ur time u put in and no viable online play thanks to just leveling up other peoples toons which is a waste of time...

In 2 weeks if many/any of the people who brought this game when it was released are still playing it I'll be surprised...

Sorry fanboys but its the truth...

Btw DLC wont be worth it... it took no time at all to go through the whole game start to finish and DLC would have to pretty much be a whole new story... just adding in 1 area is going to give you maybe an hour or 2 of fun and then its just going to be a bore again....

We all know what will make this game be a winner (continued game play, fix online play and such) but at the moment its just a very short time filler and nothing more.

Its a pity because I do like this game but there's just nothing to keep you going.

Edited by FaceGoober

To be honest, trying each class is the only reason I would play this game more than once.

Let's check what the game offer:

- no real exploration

- no real loot

- few side quests

- companions influence, what for?

- vendors will always have the same items in their shops.

- aptempt to emulate and make us care for a story, by making decisions, set in the wrong genre of game.

- plastic graphics

- online...what, I don't even...

I could go on and on and on but in resume: this is a poor Diablo clone and a poor ME/DA wannabe, overall, this game would fared better if it was a XBLA game.

I don't regret my purchase, but I would suggest to any potential buyer to wait for a price drop before getting this game.

to the devs: if you can't properly mix 2 genres either focus on one genre or the other.

Edited by yoomazir

I see a lot of varying opinion but no hard facts as to why this game is bad.

Graphics, exploration, item looks, etc are all personal preferences. Many of us are satisfied with these aspects of the game.

For not having randomly generated dungeons the exploration is fine for me. The graphics are great, not sure where these complaints come from really.

The real issues to this game are simple fixes as i've mentioned before. In my opinion these fixes would completely justify my 60$ purchase. But as it stands I still don't feel ripped off. This is a well polished, challenging and fun game. I just don't want it to end after i've played through with all 4 characters, that makes me sad.

I'm almost done with the full game and yeah...my opinion hasn't changed. It's not a bad game but it's definitely not great either (IMO of course).

I will probably do a full write-up once complete for the particulars...although it's pretty much all of my previous complaints (from the demo).

For me it is about key factors:

**Feature list is extremely slim. Too slim for a full retail release. This pertains to but is not limited to: Lack of ---> Free Mode for SP or MP, Trading System, PvP, Persistent Character Saves, Newgame+

**MP is the same whether it is local co-op or online. Online should take advantage of the fact that the gamers are not sharing the same machine.

Tethered online camera I consider to be a serious technical deficiency like selling a 10 speed bike that lacks a derailer so you can't actually shift into the other speeds.

Mass Effect is a shooter/rpg last time I checked DS3 doesn't have first person shooter mechnics in the game...

ain't you the smart one... last time you checked, did DS3 possess a discussion wheel similar to ME?

Which is something that feel it was totally unnecessary, the game didn't have any need for that. It's nice, but no one cares for it in a supposed Hack & Slash looting game.

Edited by yoomazir

The funny is that the OP clearly said Mass Effect style conversations. I thought it was quite obvius what he meant, ie dialogue wheel. Also the guy that refuted the OP might want to reconsider whether or not Mass Effect has first person shooter mechanics. I would argue that Mass Effect has THIRD person shooter mechanics ... with the ability to zoom to a first person perspective for long range which happens to be a standard part of thrid person perspective games.

Mass Effect is a shooter/rpg last time I checked DS3 doesn't have first person shooter mechnics in the game...

ain't you the smart one... last time you checked, did DS3 possess a discussion wheel similar to ME?

Which is something that feel it was totally unnecessary, the game didn't have any need for that. It's nice, but no one cares for it in a supposed Hack & Slash looting game.

So because it shares one feature with Mass Effect it's ME wannabe? With that logic we could call it a Kotor 2 wannabe as well, there's that influence system!

Monkey: Yes, 3rd person. Either way it's whole different sub-genre and the game plays completely different. And on the post I quoted there was no mention of conversation system. Obviously I don't read through the whole damn thread again if I reply to some post.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

Yoomazir never said it was a Mass Effect wannabe. Just that it had Mass Effect style dialogue wheel that felt unnecessary for this genre.

"I could go on and on and on but in resume: this is a poor Diablo clone and a poor ME/DA wannabe,"

I guess my eyes are tricking me.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Don't worry, their just doing what everyone does on these forums and are trying to find any way they can to poke holes in what people are saying...

Its quite obvious he was meaning in-regards to the dialog wheel/animation part of the game since there isn't really much else that this game relates to ME from, but he just wanted to try and make a big deal over nothing...

Just ignore him, its for the best :wub: