BioWare Security Breach

~Di

I'm probably being paranoid, but want to check out the email I got from BioWare about a NWN forum security breach. It directs me to a page where I'm instructed to choose a new password. Since I haven't been able to find any threads on the BioWare forums about this breach, and a cursory glance here doesn't show any discussion of it, can someone verify that this email was really from BioWare and there really was a breach? Thanks.

Hmm. I figured that everyone from the NWN forums would have received the email, and hoped that was being paranoid. I cannot access the "old" forums... Jade Empire, NWN, etc. It takes me to BioWare Social Network home. Since I am logged in automatically when I go there, nothing seems amiss... except the old forums being unavailable.

I'm hoping others have gotten this email and can reassure me it's legit. There is nowhere at Bio's social forum to ask about it, since the social network only deals with Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Old Bioware Forums hacked

Basically, somebody gained access to the pre-social site NWN forums and pinched a bit of information here and there. From elsewhere on the net, I gather it was mostly account names and passwords (which means, if you use the same account name and password on other forums, it might be a good time to re-check and change your passwords), birth dates and some other trivial stuff.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I got the e-mail as well.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Same here.

And I am pretty sure the only reason I got one was because it was required for "Bring down the Sky"...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Same here.

And I am pretty sure the only reason I got one was because it was required for "Bring down the Sky"...

I got it too, and I only bought ME2 and DA:O. I did register that Cerberus thing too with ME2 though.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Same here.

Boy am I glad they asked for all that needlessly intrusive personal data!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That's strange, the e-mail I got was sent to a different e-mail address from my current EA/Bioware account. So I really doubt it's related to the current accounts or DAO/ME2.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

That's strange, the e-mail I got was sent to a different e-mail address from my current EA/Bioware account. So I really doubt it's related to the current accounts or DAO/ME2.

It's not... it's from the older boards. Forgot them too untill re-installing ME1 and all the pain that is involved in finding my ME1 BTTS key again...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Can anyone tell me if bioware stored any payment details. I don't recall putting anything like that on the system.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Can anyone tell me if bioware stored any payment details. I don't recall putting anything like that on the system.

Not on the hacked server, at least.

I believe the problem is more if you are a slave to habit and use the same account name and password for several forums, social sites, internet stores etc. since that is an obvious thing to try if you have access to such information. Also, your email contact address may be of value to spammers.

Righto. No problem there. One advantage of paranoia is not re-using passwords.

-Elwood Blues

Righto. No problem there. One advantage of paranoia is not re-using passwords.

While the advantage of multiple personality disorder is not using the same accounts.