This game is missing instructions - (Youtube video inside)

anyone else reckon this guy needs instructions on how to get out of bed in the morning?

This game IS particularly BAD at instructions. I read the help section, it only gives a vague idea of how things work. I still assume that my Attack is what is causing the DPS, or Damage per second to rise, and suppose at the direct relation...but why is it DPS and not Instant Damage...what is the exact math. I would assume it's Attack - Armor...but is that correct, that's what the Help implies.

There's a LOT that is really not explained at all. I think you guys are going to harsh on this person, as there really isn't any tutorial, and the Help section isn't that much help at all.

i wonder what instructions because everything is explained in game.

He full well knows exactly what i brought up isn't explained. I mean after all you did say everything is explained and left nothing to back that up.

Unless people that leave replies like this on forums get specific and provide actual proof of what they say.a response like this is not productive and is so overly used it's pathetic.

If everything is explained in the game as you say then you should have no problem going through and actually taking screen shots from in the game that shows all thhis so called text that contains an explanation to all the stuff I just went over and brought up in that video.

I mean after all you did say everything is explained and left nothing to back that up.
You realize all you did is make a video of "I say so"? :lol:

That's why I showed the menu's opened up, showed each screen with no instruction on any of them...but yet it's all explained in the game right?

So yeah my say so is fact.

Where are your facts

I find it funny that there's no documentation on how to start/host a multiplayer game. The manual only tells you how to join a game.

It wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't for the fact that we were told that we would have completely distinct single-player and multi-player characters... and even THAT isn't explained until you finally manage to play co-op...

... and then your ideas of playing multiplayer characters (a la Diablo) is shattered and you go: "Ohhhhhhh! Well !@#$%"

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how it's the players fault for not knowing why there are items that you cannot use and why.

again resort to the video because the video shows me having a sword in my inventory that even though I have proficiency enough to use one, it doesn't show up in my list of actually equipable weapons in order for me to be able to equip it. So in short I have an item that I cannot use even though my character can in fact use a sword.

Edited by tx3000

Ok, I'll just run through it for funzies and skip the thread:

Switch to the Fire Bug:

You can't

Give her items:

unled1ef.jpg

Switch her Stance:

You can't control her (Which in turn means you can't switch her stance)

Keymapping:

Patch; something Obsidian has constantly been berated for and acknowledged the fact.

For the next set of topics a lot has already been explained in the Help Topic section; you can find it by pressing escape while playing the game:

unledonp.jpg

More abilities:

Leveling up is explained nicely the first time it happens and rather breifly explained in the help topic section.

Here is the explanation when you level up for the first time:

unledgj.jpg

(Most importantly, highite the "next tier at level 10" bit)

In the topic help section:

unledoa.jpg

How do you use Graceful Repose:

Help section, I'm sure the game explains it sometime but think this is good enough for now.

unledbf.jpg

When "Victory Rush" is activated is in the skill description:

unledbs.jpg

Chaos; Vampire:

I'll give you that one, it isn't explained actively in game... But have a look at the help section and it'll tell you. Might sound a little strange but Vampirism gives you a flat "absorption" amount and that number only increases the chance of it occurring.

You dun goofed (You can, in fact, use that "longsword"):

unledzwq.jpg

However, items you can't actually equip. The first time you pick one up the game acknowledges that fact but doesn't exactly explain why:

unledze.jpg

Oh yeah, have a nice day and enjoy whatever game you're currently playing :thumbsup:

Edited by Chasted

Hmm the game explains everything as it goes along I guess some of you dont read the pop-up hints or any of the other text (it tell you everything you need to know including that the HELP TOPICS in menu explains stuff in detail).

The only thing I like to know is what the difference between 4 Chaos X and 6 Chaos X is it higher chance more damage or what?

kudos to chasted for pandering to the trolls demands.

but i fear it will find something else to moan about or nitpick your findings.

I'll happily help the individuals (or any other else's) problems when it comes to issues like these :)

At times I just grow tired of all those threads that contain other, less fixable, issues.

Hmm the game explains everything as it goes along I guess some of you dont read the pop-up hints or any of the other text (it tell you everything you need to know including that the HELP TOPICS in menu explains stuff in detail).

The only thing I like to know is what the difference between 4 Chaos X and 6 Chaos X is it higher chance more damage or what?

Ah, sorry didn't read this: The higher the chaos rating the higher it "X" has to occur. The amount of Chaos X rating increases as you gain levels.

Edit: Oh yeah, Played a little more when I got back from work; after getting Graceful Repose and going low on hit points this appears:

unledqcx.jpg

Although in his defense, it is a lot of writing.

Edited by Chasted

Chasted while I apprieciate the replies you posted with some explanations, you along with everyone else in this thread have still completely and totally missed the point to my video.

The stuff I am asking about has still not been answered or explained why.

So I have uploaded another video that goes into great detail about the major things that are not explained and need to be.

Watch this and then try to say this stuff is self explanatory and or explained:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBev_UahyY0

Oh yeah and another thing i forgot to add...

Sure the help topic refer to things such as defensive abilities, but there is no way to know what abilities are defensive and what ones are not...what do they expect you to do...just pick one at random and hope it matches your characters style.

So far this game is set up so you have to guess abilities and things at random and try to get a good build by getting extremely lucky. So all you get is a bunch of random abilities that may or may not go with your character that are not explained.

Yeah way to go Obsidian

BTW I would be more than happy to have one of you from here, talk to me in voice chat via xfire regarding this game.

my xfire name is takenforaride

I won't use ventrilo, teamspeak or skype due to all the douche bags on there.

Edited by tx3000

I wonder if it is time to start deleting posts... Guys, give it a break. You don't like the thread, plenty of other threads. You think somebody is breaking the forum rules, say so, we don't need the fist fights.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I wonder if it is time to start deleting posts... Guys, give it a break. You don't like the thread, plenty of other threads. You think somebody is breaking the forum rules, say so, we don't need the fist fights.

This is the exaxct reason why I said take this up with me in voice chat via xfire. Although I highly doubt anyone who mouthed off in this thread would have any gal to talk in voice chat.

I myself do not care what people say to or about me, I'm simply tryinig to get some things straight that I have issues with is all so hopefully people will talk in chat to help me get this resloved.

Edited by tx3000

That was the issue? I guess you didn't explain the problem clearly if everyone else didn't "get it"; how ironic.

I'll assume you know how to get to the ability bar because you did that in the video but to what those abilities do:

First off, you might notice the little number/shield in the bottom left-hand corner; 1 is for "stance 1", 2 is for "stance 2", and the shield is for the defensive abilities. They would be grouped up in the bar like the image below

unledas.jpg

And their corresponding buttons would be (According to the ranking system Obsidian has applied at the top of each section):

Ability in 'Recruit': 1

Ability in 'Legionnaire': 2

Ability in 'Master': 3

Defensive Ability in 'Recruit': 4

Defensive Ability in 'Legionnaire': 5

Defensive Ability in 'Master': 6

Which is explained in-game like this:

unledqcx.jpg

(For the defensive abilities... The other one a little later but I kept on missing it)

Note: Defensive Abilities require 1 "Power Orb". The game points it out somewhere late-ish in the introduction but for easy reference here's an image:

unledop.jpg

You get more "Power Orbs" as you do quests pivotal to the main storyline.

To know what they do simply roll the mouse-over the skill and look to the side, a lot of skills have "more space" to them but simply scrolling down on the wheel will let you view it (No matter where your cursor is)

unledmeq.jpg

To use the "empowered" version of the ability (As described in the skill tab; you can find this in the "help topics" as well as it appearing the first time you master an ability) you need two things:

1. The "Mastery" bar to be filled in the skill page (This can be done by using the skill)

2. Having enough "Power Orbs" or something. See above to know what they are.

Now, Regarding your latest video:

That mystery items purpose:

unleddu.jpg

The moment you pick up one of those items for the first time this text box would appear:

unledze.jpg

In other words; it's an item that goes on another possible character but you haven't unlocked him yet.

To unlock them:

- Continue playing the campaign in single player; they will pop up eventually (Like the Fire Bug lady)

Or

- Play Multiplayer. If a person uses that character s/he will be unlocked.

The only restriction in the game is character; to find out which character can use which item, see the red square:

unledvq.jpg

(Means the person who can equip the item is unknown)

unledzwq.jpg

(Means the person who can equip the item is shown behind the text, aka Lucas)

How to get to the ladies "inventory" is explained above:

Get to the "Equip" screen (Either by pressing "F" or accessing it via the character menu-thing)

Pressing Return (Or Enter).

unled1ef.jpg

All abilities (Listed in the first "Abilities" tab) are not passive.

The tab you had showed (The "Proficiencies" tab)

unledxsj.jpg

Just shows what augmentations you have chosen to improve select abilities.

The passive abilities is in the Talents screen (The third screen after the "Abilities" tab); that page where Victory Rush is.

What's a State of repose: Flavour text to fill in the box, ignore it. The important bit of the ability is after that "Regenerate 50% of your hit points over the next 30 seconds".

Opinionated stuff (Things that are a matter of opinion; hard to say if there is a right or wrong):

Controlling the character:

Your half-right about the whole control thing but that would go down to a matter of opinion. To me, if it were to say "No, you can't control the character" in any way other than a satirical form would just taunt the player as they demand "Why not?" In my opinion, it is better off to just leave it unsaid; if you do not mention the game the majority will be blissfully ignorant of that even being a possibility. Those that do, well, with no mention of it Obsidian must have assumed that those people would guess it isn't a function in the game (In my opinion, of course).

The Tutorial:

Well, yes, it was lacking to a degree. Considering the amount of people who have had trouble with particular aspects of the game they should have tried to smack it into peoples faces a little bit more than they did (As people typically just go "Yep. Cool, next." without reading it) and there are a few things missing that should have been more actively explained (As you had shown, the mastery bar. The other thing would be the chaos item properties).

Edit: Something I just found out about; the manual.

http://cdn.steampowered.com/Manuals/901638...df?t=1308938477

It might explain a few problems as well. Might, being the biggest word

Edited by Chasted

well done chasted . ;) you pwned the OP ...i say so.

...Congratulations...

...High fives all around...

This thread needs to be locked. I can't think of anything honestly useful resulting from this thread... Just a bunch of hate. =P

well done chasted . ;) you pwned the OP ...i say so.

Seriously?!

All he did was make me gloss over his little pictures of a game which I already HAVE. He didn't answer anything, but if he really wants to, why not write a text explaining why they don't simply list DAMAGE as DAMAGE instead of using the stats of Attack and DPS. It's much easier for someone to understand a piece of equipment that states Damage instead of Attack.

This is what people mean when they want intuitive. Saying Attack will produce Damage = to something isn't intuitive, especially when I have a 35 attack, but doing 120 dmg. Apparantly Attack isn't a direct relationship to Damage. It took me a quarter of the game to think I figured out the math for it, and still it's only for DPS instead of actual direct damage...which is convoluted but explained the 35 Attck = 120 dmg.

Adding in other effects such as Doom, lightning, and other items probably confuse people even more. The Help explains them in brief, but not really their relation to what they do.

Furthermore, there isn't really anything in there telling people directly to look for a face behind the equipment in order to know what equipment their character is able to use (and nothing that says the equipment is organized into rows, with one row per character, when you open up the store). I can easily see how people don't catch these items.

Mocking others that do not "get" such things is actually the worst thing I think some could do, as it only drives home to them how terrible the instruction of the game is, as well as how hostile these forums can be to people asking for help, or trying to give their own thoughts on what was wrong with the game and how it could be improved.

I personally think the game needs a tutorial, or something a little better then what it does (even if it's only video tutorials included in a patch or free DLC).

Basically, this guy didn't PWN anyone, all he did was appease the hostiles on the forums and convince others that the real trolls are those attacking any sort of criticism at all about the game.

I actually think the lack of the tutorial and how non-intuitive the stats were isn't a terribly bad thing (lower the overall gamescore by maybe .1 out of 10...so if it was a 9, it would then be an 8.9).

The SP portion of the game itself I thought WAS outstanding.

However I think it needed a better tutorial, and assuming that we can't read or didn't read is pretty insultive. Perhaps there are things that people are trying to figure out beyond what is already provided in the "help" topics, which are friggen short and not that comprehensive in what they cover in the first place. Where in Help does it spell out the amount of XP needed to gain each level and how much each stat or HP goes up per level for each character? Maybe it's in your copy...mine seemed to have missed that portion.

Edited by greylord

greylord,

So far, you're the only person on this entire forum, who actually understood exactly what I am talking about.

You hit the nail right on the head about everything I said was wrong. You just phrased what I said in a more understandable fashion.

To elaborate on one such thing is the items that another character can use. I don't know about you but in every game I have ever played every single item I have ever picked up, had a class restriction or said something right on it...Only usable by (Insert Class/Level)

The fact that these items are just there with no connection, is retarded. I mean seriously, what is a player expected to do, hold onto an item and try to get lucky with it or worry that by either breaking it down or selling it you may have screwed yourself over all because you didn't know who or what tha item was for and or used for. Lets get real here, this is no way to play a game. You want the thinking and worrying to go into actual game play, or focus on the fact that you possibly might need an item. These are things that shoudln't even be a concern. It's really simple if i am awarrior/fighter, this means that i can wear all sorts of armor and types (This is due to the fact that fighters can do that) If I cannot wear some armor I better be explained why I'm not able to wear specific armor because not beingt able to wear specific armor as a fighter/warrior without any reason kills the game playablity and enjoyment....Stuff like this should be being explained because lets face it, a warrior that can't wear some types of armor, not only makes absolutely no sense, but totally goes against how a warrior/fighter is put together and when you start making that aspect happen in the game, that puts it into a players head to start wndering if there are other things a warrior/fighter is supposed to be able to do but can't.

I still find it highly interesting how not one person offers to talk to me in voice chat..

Edited by tx3000

tx3000, that's mostly because I can't be bothered to talk to anyone in voice chat; typically it takes me a ballistic missile up the *self censor* to be bothered.

If asking yourself "Why can't I use this thing?" Does indeed break the game and ruin your fun all the more power to you (Or less power... I dunno). Might be my playstyle but I don't worry about much while playing it but if you wanted an explanation it would only go down as "Game Mechanics, that's why."

Or that Breastplate was literally Breastplate; a piece of plat armor with a lot of room for boobies.

Seriously?!

All he did was make me gloss over his little pictures of a game which I already HAVE.

And here I was going to say; "That wasn't my intention but cool" but I had to go to work. Although if that's the point he was trying to make; it was done a lot more effectively than what you were trying to do using by using examples only (Edit: And acting as a possible frustrated... Uh, individual)

Edited by Chasted