Patch swaps A&D Keys problem

Libed

Question

Just got the last Genealogy book, to place in the bookshelf for the "treasure".

Saved at the nearest spot to quit for dinner.

Came back, and now holding down A turns me to the right. D turns to the left.

Issue carries on to any new character made. Sad. Just sad.

Edited by Libed

The best way to get eyes is, well, to post here, as you've already done, and to open up tickets with Square Enix / Steam customer support. Devs read these forums, though they don't post as much. That said, with this particular issue, I'm pretty sure they know there's a problem already.

Just to throw it out here, I played around with AutoHotKey, and the most basic examples of key remapping, IE:

/*snip*/

a::d

d::a

/*snip*/

Is supposed to map a to d and d to a.

This works perfectly in notepad.

It does /not/ work in-game.

I am assuming the game is utilizing low level keyboard/input drivers, so software isn't able to intercept the signals.

I also tried prying off my A and D keys, and putting them on the other way around. That didn't work either.

I also tried playing with my keyboard flipped around 180 degrees, but then I was walking backwards...

I tried another program called "SharpKeys", which is supposed to use registry hacks to remap keyboard keys.

This ALMOST worked, in that when I opened up a chat window, the keys were switched, but when it came to rotate the camera, it was still backwards.

That's the closest I got. Anyone else got any ideas?

Edit: I also opened a ticket @ Square Enix, before I started posting here.

Edited by xkeitarox

well i just fired up steam and dungeon siege 3 downloaded yet another patch.

i havent checked but perhaps that fixed the issue?

edit - just checked. no it didnt fix it. didnt do anything that i can see.

Edited by brandysnap

Mr. Moderator --

Whats the best way to get eyes on the problem?

Is there a bug reporting thing that we can submit information to, or have you already done due diligence?

The steam forums are blowing up about it too.

Thanks!

Taking a look. Thanks for the info.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

I too admit that this minor patch causing the A <--> D switch makes the game very much unplayable!

I would like to urge the developers to include in the next patch the ability to change the keybinds ourselves! This is a basic functionality that is present in 99.98% of all dungeon crawler RPGs (with the 0.02% being this game!).

Edited by Threepsie

Yeah, the controls are pretty bad now, especially considering I'd gotten used to the original control by now.

I'd say a fix is needed, preferably fast as I won't be able to play like that.

TO DEVS: DO IT RIGHT FROM THE START AND YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY KEYREMAPPIN PATCHES.

LOL - note the small "edit" text at the bottom. "Do as I say, not as I do."

But lets give them a bit of slack - this wasn't a bug from release, it was an unexpected side-effect from trying to fix something else.

TO DEVS: DO IT RIGHT FROM THE START AND YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY KEYREMAPPIN

But lets give them a bit of slack - this wasn't a bug from release, it was an unexpected side-effect from trying to fix something else.

Nope, no slack at all on this one!!!

Are you serious??? An unexpected side effect??? This isn't some rarely used function that got messed up. It is the most basic movement that was messed up!! If anyone at all even beta tested the patch, it would have come up immediately!

This is a clear example of programmers rushing something without checking their work. It is their job to check their work and get it right. As a manager, I would write up any employee of mine that puts out work like this with a blatant error! I would be much more understanding if they made a mistake with something less obvious.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks they deserves slack on this doesn't get the meaning of quality control.

^^ it wouldnt crop up if all the testers are using gamepads to test the game.

its like the witcher 2 patch that borked the analog sticks for all users. cd project didnt know because they were doing the opposite and testing with mouse and keyboard.

Haha. It's more personal on a first name basis.

And I'm only a newbie because I normally don't hang out in forums.

However, since my brain can't handle the backwards camera, I have some

time to sit here and try to assist on a resolution to it.

You'll probably never see me again, unless there is some other bug or

issue that I can help with.

Cheers~

TO DEVS: DO IT RIGHT FROM THE START AND YOU DON'T NEED TO DO ANY KEYREMAPPIN PATCHES.

LOL - note the small "edit" text at the bottom. "Do as I say, not as I do."

I want to use up arrow key to move forward and the down arrow to move backward but the basic controls is: w - move forward, s - move backward, you can't change this keys to up arrow or down arrow keys in the game options in the main menu, ok you can use the right mouse button(holding) to move.

Edited by seville57