Official Dungeon Siege 3 Community Request Thread

If they patch up DS3 a bit it will have plenty of staying.

I 100% disagree with you. Staying power was not built into the game. Your theory is testable though. We'll see how many people are playing in 1 month.

Diablo 2 has a larger online community than DS3 and that game is 10 years old.

EDIT:

Also ...

Dead Island

Rage

Edited by MonkeyLungs

Deus Ex ... um Torchlight 2 (for PC), skyrim ... there's more. Also tons of action games like Arkham City and more.

Dungeon Siege 3 isn't popular at all right now, right after its release, come this fall this title will be forgotten about and even defenders like you will be off playing other games.

EDIT:

Amazon.com Sales Rankings EDIT: 30 June 2011

---

DUNGEON SIEGE 3

Xbox 360 = #67

PS3 = #81

---

For comparison:

FALLOUT:NV

Xbox 360 =#19

PS3 = #39

---

ALICE:mADNESS rETURNS

Xbox 360 = #5

PS3 = #1

I'm not really interested in Skyrim and I couldn't care less about T2 while I probably will replay DSIII several times till 2012. So, no.

Also, thats a weird comparison. Especially because the XBOX360 and PS3 versions of Alice had its price reduced to 39'99 on Amazon.com which may have something to do with the high sales at the moment. Still, the big decrease in sales on Amazon is indeed worrying. We'll see when numbers arrive.

Edited by C2B

Those are all RPG's, but they're not dungeon crawlers which I view differently. Skyrim is single player which to me places it in an entirely different category. Much like Shadows of the Damned of which looks extremely strange, and i'm about to play as we speak.

Provided Dungeon Siege III gains decent DLC, I know I'll at least keep playing it.

Blizzard games really shouldn't even be counted in their respected genres, as each one is at the top of its class i'm pretty sure (being Starcraft, WoW, Diablo).

Either way, this game won't be the most popular ARPG of all time. But it will still go down as a good one and as I said I know i'll keep playing it.

When I say keep playing it, it is just like any other xbox game that isn't a competitive shooter. And by that I mean once i've attained the achievements I care about, played through everything as much as I feel like, i'll put it down and pick it back up when the DLC is released, or a buddy wants to play.

That goes for every xbox game. I play them, put them down until a DLC comes out worth playing, and then pick it back up. No i'm not going to play DS3 every day for the next 2 years. It's not that kind of game, where as say Battlefield 3 is.

You'll most likely find me in Gears 3, Battlefield 3, and RE: Raccoon City after the holidays. Skyrim will get a playthrough or two, and then be put down until DLC arrives. Rage will get a playthrough and thats probably about it. I'm saddened ID decided to go with a mostly Single Player experience and ditched the other MP stuff. So Rage will be rented.

Gears of War 3 I already know is a masterpiece, and i'll be playing it campaign and competitively along side BF3. I'm pretty sick of CoD and MW3 most likely won't be an immediate buy for me.

This isn't so much a thread that is meant to bash DS3 or Obsidian. This is a CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM thread of MINOR issues that bug or irritate you during play.

My goal is to present the developers with an organized list of minor issues that players encounter, that detract from gameplay, and as we know "the devil is in the details," so when there are several minor issues in a game that stack up or repeat consistently in a game it can break immersion and lead to gamer irritation, and worst case... lead to contempt of the game or developers.

So onto the rules of this thread.

1) Respect. Respect other posters opinions. We all have different peeves so that thing that bugs you may not bug someone else. Respect that.

2) Bugs. This is NOT the thread to list them. There are appropriate threads for that.

3) Details. We need to know more than just the issue. We need to know what the cause, effect and circumstances of the issue are.

4) Clarity. Please for the sake of everyone... be clear in your post. Vague, misspelled words, horrid grammer and poor sentence structure will more than likely cause people to not pay attention to you, even if you have valid points.

5) The Fix. This is where you explain what YOU would like to see done, or present an IDEA of how the issue could be solved.

So let's start the party.

1) AI gold grabbing. It's annoying as is. A great idea, but the way it is handled is not great. As soon as combat stops the AI party member runs around grabbing gold and sometimes stands on top of REAL LOOT, which leads to a very awkward humping of character sprites as you attempt to push the AI off the loot. The other option is even less attractive... run in a direction until the AI partner moves off the loot.

FIX #1 - (PC) Incorporate a button command for the AI to start auto-looting AND THEN come back BEHIND the player character.

FIX #2 - (CONSOLE) Increase the timer from when the player stops moving that auto-loot is turned on AND THEN have the AI come back BEHIND the player.

2) AI dodging. What dodging? They stand there and take it all like a $5 corner hooker. This is unacceptable on HARDCORE.

FIX #1 - Incorporate an AI algorithm that is run off of probabilities and imminent attack. Players have intuition and know when an attack "could" be coming. The AI is the computer... it knows an attack is coming. All you have to do is create an algorithm in the AI party member script that runs off of attack timers of active on screen enemies or proximity enemies according to the x,y,z placement of both instances and then have the probability of whether the AI party member will dodge the attack. There are many ways to handle the probabilities... AGI stat... level... whatever.

3) Target Locking - This feature doesn't exist as far as I know (PC). And in heated battles certain non-splash (non-AoE) abilities are a guess as to what enemy you hit. With, say, Katrina this makes the curses less useful. There are other circumstances that this is needed as well.

FIX #1 - Just incorporate Target Locking. Not so hard.

Merged with this thread. Let's take this opportunity to remember that this is meant to be a suggestions thread - no more Dragon Age 2, sales figures, etc., etc., yes? We already have 50,000 threads for that, no need to post the same thing in every one of them. :)

Re: targeting - Weird thing is, some form of auto-targeting does exist on PC, and it seems to annoy some people, i.e. it's too 'sticky' for them. I don't see how you'd get anywhere in this system with no targeting help at all, but... it only ever seems to become a problem when you need to hit a specific target and you're locked on a target that's standing right next to it.

See to me the AI was fine even in hardcore. There were only a couple boss fights where Anjali bit it and I had to revive her. It was usually the other way around.

Targeting only seems to be an issue in multiplayer for me, and this is typically from the camera which I view as the biggest issue. Especially when it rotates without you wanting too simply because a teammate is running in a different direction.

The camera badly needs to be freed up, it actually gets people killed in this game. Camera angle shouldn't add to difficulty level.

In addition to that, there needs to be better randomized loot when you join someones game at a higher level. I joined in on someones final boss fight, and my gear was so crappy that I was tickling the boss. The gear should be randomized to at least be about 75% of what the host characters gear is, and then the drops should be equal as long as a human player is present.

EDIT: Thank you Tigranes. This thread was indeed meant for finding ways and suggestions to improve a great game and make it amazing. Not to sit here and mope and moan that the game will be dead in months.

Edited by Bakercompany86

Copying and pasting my post from another thread here, as its extremely relevant and would like it to be in my request thread.

What I said was....

Now Obsidian, please fix the camera. It's not unplayable, but its close with 4 players. Combine the bad camera with the fact that people who join the game have crap gear, and they end up dead very fast, and often.

Example: 4 of us were doing

The Witch fight in the cave where you free Anjali

. Because the camera limited their movement and ability to dodge, they all died except me, and it ended up me dodging everything to revive them constantly.

Multi-player will be flawless with the following changes in order of necessity:

-Fix the Camera. It should be completely freed up where the player still has single player control regardless of how many players exist. Just tether them via a distance check instead of the camera feeling like a leash.

-Fix the random gear players start with when joining a MP game. The gear should be randomized to somewhat be similar to what the host character has. Without this fix, people who joing games at later levels do virtually no damage. My standard attack as Reinhart against the final boss was doing like...26 damage a hit? Too weak to really even do anything but revive the host.

-Fix loot drops throughout the campaign in MP. This should even out with the presence of human players. 2 players loo should drop 50/50, 4 players should be a 25% split.

-Perhaps when you join someones game, give each ability a bit of the master bar filled depending on level. If you join a game in the 20's, each ability should have about 65% of its master bar filled. Empowered moves are a huge part of this combat system and can make or break a fight, but joining someones game you will basically have zero mastery filled. So again a gimped character to run around with.

After you fix those issues, MP will be perfect. Until you fix the camera, the best defensive mechanic Dodging is severely restrained due to the camera. You can actually become trapped in an open area by the corner of the camera. So please tether people by distance and free the camera up. Boss fights should feel just like single player where your buddy can be off screen giving you freedom of movement.

Then i'll definitely take some sort of New Game+ or preferably an arena type mode to fight waves of enemies. This game has an excellent variety of creature types and that would enable dozens upon dozens of mixed enemies to throw at the team.

And you can do so much with an arena mode. Again I point to Dawn of War II's last stand mode. It has a great gear unlock system combined with its leveling, and there's even more creative freedom to be had in Dungeon Siege III. I could sit here and think of tons of ways it could be done, so I can't imagine what the creative minds at Obsidian would be able to conjure up.

Edited by Bakercompany86

It'd be cool to see a "Return to Utraean Peninsula" DLC. :)

I never played the first 2 Dungeon Sieges, but I imagine they could do something like this if Square owns the licence for DS and they want to let Obsidian do that. I'll take it :lol:

Those are all RPG's, but they're not dungeon crawlers which I view differently.

War in the North is a dungeon crawler.

Also I was mentioning all those other games because they happen to be games that will draw RPG fans, and in context with my earlier statement means that people's focus will NOT be on Dungeon Siege 3. You are welcome to dispute that all you want but how many people are currently playing DS3 on Steam, on PSN, on Xbox Live? In relation to my prior point this means that IF there is to be any DLC (which there probably won't be) it really needs to be released prior to the fall releaser lineup. It doesn't matter if you classify these games in different ways because my point was that DS3 is going to fall off the map and soon. I'm guessing Torchlight 2 will grab ARPG fans attention when it releases. Now maybe you and 20 people from this message board will still be playing DS3 come next year but I somehow don't think even you will still be playing this game.

Those are all RPG's, but they're not dungeon crawlers which I view differently.

War in the North is a dungeon crawler.

Also I was mentioning all those other games because they happen to be games that will draw RPG fans, and in context with my earlier statement means that people's focus will NOT be on Dungeon Siege 3.

Last time I checked XBL quite a few of my friends were playing DS3... I have close to 200 XBL friends too. So when I say most, of those 200 there were around 80 which is close to half of my friends. And I don't even own the game on Xbox. I'm a PC gamer and the only few games I play on XBL are shooters like Borderlands, CoD, and Halo.

I like to add advanced options (Customizable difficulty settings) in addition to standard CASUAL, NORMAL and HARDCORE. See my thread for details.

Some people need much easier difficulty setting than CASUAL. Some people need much harder difficulty setting than HARDCORE.

Customizable difficulty settings should contains lots of customizable individual settings such player attack strength relative, monster attack strength relative (or damage modifier), how much coins the players would pick up, how the player's power sphere fill slower or faster, etc...

I like to add advanced options (Customizable difficulty settings) in addition to standard CASUAL, NORMAL and HARDCORE. See my thread for details.

Some people need much easier difficulty setting than CASUAL. Some people need much harder difficulty setting than HARDCORE.

Customizable difficulty settings should contains lots of customizable individual settings such player attack strength relative, monster attack strength relative (or damage modifier), how much coins the players would pick up, how the player's power sphere fill slower or faster, etc...

I'm all for options like this. I've noticed some recent games like Child of Eden even have a beginner difficulty where you are invulnerable so you can just experience the entire game. I'd also like to throw my hat in the harder than hardcore difficulty. I'd love an even greater challenge for me and my buddy to tackle.

Just finished a playthrough as the girl who played with guns. I have a few suggestions of my own, some of which have probably been mentioned:

1. Option to turn off auto-targetting.

- Maybe it's a PC thing, but I find that the game seems to assign a target on its own in the direction that you are facing. And clicking on LMB cause me to attack the assigned target instead of the one I am pointing with my mouse. I find that many times I pulled off (Empowered) abilities on the wrong target.

- It can be troublesome at times, for example you have a few melee attackers, you are trying to pull off an Empowered normal attack or the machine gun skill (haha) to get them off your back. You end up attacking an off-screen enemy which the game assigned. Also, when attacking right after dodging, even clicking on the enemy behind you will cause you to shoot at nothingness in front.

- Mainly though, I want to do a sweeping attack with the machine gun skill, which I find impossible with the current auto-targeting scheme.

2. Toggle for highlighting interactable objects

- The game did a magnificent job of making interactable objects fit into the environment. Being able to highlight them (like how other games do it with "ALT" etc.) can increasing looting efficiency (less time running around trying to find the bookshelves that contain lore). And those who prefer immersion can choose not to use this feature.

3. Prevent camera from zooming in?

- Probably not as troublesome for melee characters, but at times I find the screen being filled by my character only and I am being shot at by numerous characters off the screen. And it prevents me from sniping enemies from a distance.

- What's the use of such degree of zooming anyway?

4. More lore

- Sometimes, when I get bored of spending 10 minutes running back to town (nothing to do on the route) to report that I have completed sidequest, I open up my lore page and read some of the entries. But as the game progresses, the lore almost disappeared altogether.

- It'd be nice having more of those later on in the game, offer some diversion.

That's about it. I believe the others have been said in detail.

It seems the fixes are targeting only the PC version. I own DS3 on console!!! I wish the fixes for consoles.

*facepalm*

I'm glad that you enjoy the game enough that you want it improved (that is a good thing!). But I think you need to broaden your scope of understanding. Read some developer notes and comments as well as listen to this PodCast http://ia700500.us.archive.org/11/items/Cl...Episode_056.mp3.

The game was designed around consoles and then ported to computer. Which means they have a console focus for this game.

Normally PC gamers would complain to high heaven about this but Obsidian did a decent job of making the average PC gamer feel like they considered them and their style of gaming as well. Although they sort of botched the Keymapping issue but only because they ran out of time and had to hand the game over to SquareEnix to publish the game. Which is why Obsidian is doing damage control and giving the PC gamers a "hotfix patch" in order to lessen the blow-back ire from the PC crowd.

Most of the other issues are shared across platforms so you can rest assured your console issues are being fully considered by Obsidian.

The first and only fix so far was the PC keybinding issue because its a huge one. Even though I'm playing it on 360, i'd put PC keybinding as an issue above even the camera that effects everyone.

Simply because the console guys (me) have a dream control system, and the PC guys have a very wonky control scheme that most would like to change. So i'm totally happy that its the first thing being fixed. Now the second thing, should definitely be the camera.

- A third camera option
-Can the camera be fixed to players desires?
Camera Angles (even in SP need some work)
Camera angle shouldn't add to difficulty level.
Obsidian, please fix the camera.
the camera that effects everyone.

Let me start by saying I like this game. I never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, but I think I probably will.

I think my major complaint might go unnoticed, simply because I'm a fish out of water here. I LOVE RPG's, but I don't like games with the 45-degree angle sky cam. It literally makes me feel claustrophobic that I can't simply *look up*. It's infuriating. I seriously dislike that I'm always staring at the ground. I want to see where I'm going. I want look around at the scenery. I am really hoping for a mod or a patch that includes the ability to look directly forward over my character's shoulder. I'm assuming there is no sky written into this game, so I'd understand if I couldn't look directly up, I just want to see more of what's in front of my character.

After Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fallout: New Vegas, I trust Obsidian to make a fun game, but I don't think I want to play this game anymore until my desired camera angle exists, whether it be community made or an official patch. I've already took a stab looking at the .ini files, but there is nothing in there that would facilitate me fixing this on my own.

To avoid starting an argument about this, let me be clear -

I don't want the original camera angles taken away from those who already enjoy it.

I simply want an option for a more flexible camera that would enable me to look straight ahead.

Even if you don't believe you would enjoy using this angle, I assume you would understand that there are a number of reasonable human beings who would.

Furthermore, by restricting the possible camera angles available, Obsidian is in turn restricting their sales.

Edited by bradleypariah

- A third camera option
-Can the camera be fixed to players desires?
Camera Angles (even in SP need some work)
Camera angle shouldn't add to difficulty level.
Obsidian, please fix the camera.
the camera that effects everyone.

Let me start by saying I like this game. I never played Dungeon Siege 1 or 2, but I think I probably will.

I think my major complaint might go unnoticed, simply because I'm a fish out of water here. I LOVE RPG's, but I don't like games with the 45-degree angle sky cam. It literally makes me feel claustrophobic that I can't simply *look up*. It's infuriating. I seriously dislike that I'm always staring at the ground. I want to see where I'm going. I want look around at the scenery. I am really hoping for a mod or a patch that includes the ability to look directly forward over my character's shoulder. I'm assuming there is no sky written into this game, so I'd understand if I couldn't look directly up, I just want to see more of what's in front of my character.

After Knights of the Old Republic II, Neverwinter Nights 2, and Fallout: New Vegas, I trust Obsidian to make a fun game, but I don't think I want to play this game anymore until my desired camera angle exists, whether it be community made or an official patch. I've already took a stab looking at the .ini files, but there is nothing in there that would facilitate me fixing this on my own.

To avoid starting an argument about this, let me be clear -

I don't want the original camera angles taken away from those who already enjoy it.

I simply want an option for a more flexible camera that would enable me to look straight ahead.

Even if you don't believe you would enjoy using this angle, I assume you would understand that there are a number of reasonable human beings who would.

Furthermore, by restricting the possible camera angles available, Obsidian is in turn restricting their sales.

I don't see any reason why a 3rd and 4th zoom option couldn't be added. You can back up to a non-transparent object and the camera will drastically zoom in right next to your character, so this is possible it just requires the code to do this.

I'm with you actually. Obviously you probably can't drop it to a true 3rd person view like Gears for example due to the fact that there is probably no sky. But why can't the angle just be shifted to somewhat closer angles that allow you to see further down the field of battle?

No complaints here man. I'd love a few more zoom options.

I'm with you actually. Obviously you probably can't drop it to a true 3rd person view like Gears for example due to the fact that there is probably no sky. But why can't the angle just be shifted to somewhat closer angles that allow you to see further down the field of battle?

This is contradictory, actually - in terms of angles, what you get in the zoom-in mode currently, is pretty much as far as you can tilt the camera before you need ceilings and skyboxes. i.e. currently, you can see farther ahead in the horizon in zoom-in than zoom-out, right? Well, that's really the limit. The only other way to 'see farther down' is just to zoom out more, which I think is the best solution for most people.

This is contradictory, actually - in terms of angles, what you get in the zoom-in mode currently, is pretty much as far as you can tilt the camera before you need ceilings and skyboxes..... The only other way to 'see farther down' is just to zoom out more, which I think is the best solution for most people.

I stand by my original post. I definitely do not want to zoom out further. That is not the best solution for me personally. That is actually worse.

I absolutely loath the RTS camera style. I feel it disconnects me from the character I'm playing. I already said I don't want to be staring at the ground, I certainly don't want to just stare at more ground.

I simply want to look forward. It is not too much to ask.

Think Fallout 1 & 2 vs. Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

There is a reason Obsidian didn't go back to the RTS camera view with Fallout, yes? Yes. It is better in FPS and OTS, yes? Yes.

THAT is the best solution for most people. Thank you. ;)