Official Dungeon Siege 3 Community Request Thread

First off, if this thread stays peaceful and we end up with some great suggestions from the community here, I'd like to request a sticky.

Now that I've spent a decent amount of time in game and on these forums, I see the few general complaints from the community which all sound relatively the same.

First a bit of praise for Obsidian. I'm a huge Fallout: New Vegas fan, and i'm happy to say that Dungeon Siege 3 is one of the best releases this year. It is very well polished, looks and plays beautifully, and is a ton of fun solo and even more so in coop. I'm enjoying the variety of creature types and bosses, and I've played 3 of the 4 characters and enjoy each one (Reinhart is my boy though).

If you asked me today, I'd still say Dungeon Siege 3 is a buyer if you're at all a fan of the dungeon-crawling action/rpg genre. Its got everything there plus a plethora of quests, and all of the side quests are a ton of fun.

I'd also like to tip my hat to the sound team. The game sounds great, and the musical score is perfect. This is really a top-notch game and i'm happy I get to play it.

Now for the few things I'd personally like to see changed. Keep in mind these are my personal observations, a couple of which have been repeated throughout the community so I think its safe to say they are in moderate demand.

1. The loot issue. This is an offender on a few fronts. Namely...

-Loot drops clearly favor the hosts character. About 80% of the drops, and all of the high quality ones are for the host character.

-No character import into a friends game. Without the ability to bring your toon into another friends world, the aforementioned loot issue really stings as its very difficult to build a gearset for a friend joining in late, especially as the levels get higher. For example, my companion is Anjali and she's now decently geared thanks to a bit of effort on my part. However my friend prefers Katarina, and when he joins as her she has nothing. Random junk.

2. The Multi-player camera issue. I'm not sure why Obsidian went with this choice. Anyone who's played MP knows what I mean, when a buddy joins your game, the camera angle shifts to a permanent drastic overhead camera that makes it very difficult to see. This quality of a game I don't see why each player can't have complete independent camera control. The same single player camera is perfect. You can still tether the characters together so they must adventure in the same area, thats fine with me. Just give us freedom of camera control and give back the ability to zoom if we wish.

To me, these are the only 2 offenders. While I know on issue 1, you can keep a healthy supply of gold to purchase gear for a buddy if he joins or start a completely new game from scratch and run a static party (only play with those people on this save). These options are good ones, but this simple change could drastically increase the fun factor in DS3.

The issue of the character import comes around in level difference. Taking my level 12 Reinhart into my buddies level 5 game would give us a significant advantage. However this has always been a drawing point for dungeon crawler games. Have your powerful buddy join you (if you so desire) and hold your hand throughout the story as you play catch up on exp. I figure the majority of the exp should go to the lower character with very little if any going to the higher level character until they are within a certain range (say, 2 levels?).

Without character import, the loot tables need to be shifted in order to preserve the fun in coop. I don't think anyone wants their friends to play with them get less than second rate drops the entire game while their character prospers in blues and unique items. This is only my experience in 2 player coop, so 4 player coop I imagine would be extremely difficult to gear all 4 players. Basically, in MP coop you need to change the loot tables from favoring the host so much.

I'm not a software programmer (yet), so I have no idea how difficult this kind of code would be to patch in. A loot table adjustment I would figure to be fairly easy. The character import, maybe not so much. The camera issue I would figure to be rather simple also, but again i'm not sure.

I think if you patched in these 2 ideas, Dungeon Siege 3 would be an easy 9.5/10 or maybe even a 10/10 game, I really have that few complaints about it. This is an extremely fun game with a ton of polish, for this I thank you Obsidian. Fix these 2 issues, and your game is flawless.

Discuss, and please keep this flame free. I don't care if you go troll in another thread, but this one is for serious well thought out ideas only. Complaining without attempt at resolution will accomplish nothing. :)

There are some things that needs improvement.

In a possible sequel:

More camera perspective options for mp. Let the host decide if the group should be tethered to the same screen or not.

Choices for mp. Keep drop in/drop out coop, but also have persistent characters for those who want to.

More variations of loot. There were many different looking pieces of armor and weapons, but not enough imo.

Support good PC controls at launch.

More open enviroments.

Keep combat system from DS3.

Use same composer from DS3.

More awesome boss battles, best part of DS3.

That would make an awesome game.

First off, if this thread stays peaceful and we end up with some great suggestions from the community here, I'd like to request a sticky.

Now that I've spent a decent amount of time in game and on these forums, I see the few general complaints from the community which all sound relatively the same.

First a bit of praise for Obsidian. I'm a huge Fallout: New Vegas fan, and i'm happy to say that Dungeon Siege 3 is one of the best releases this year. It is very well polished, looks and plays beautifully, and is a ton of fun solo and even more so in coop. I'm enjoying the variety of creature types and bosses, and I've played 3 of the 4 characters and enjoy each one (Reinhart is my boy though).

If you asked me today, I'd still say Dungeon Siege 3 is a buyer if you're at all a fan of the dungeon-crawling action/rpg genre. Its got everything there plus a plethora of quests, and all of the side quests are a ton of fun.

I'd also like to tip my hat to the sound team. The game sounds great, and the musical score is perfect. This is really a top-notch game and i'm happy I get to play it.

Now for the few things I'd personally like to see changed. Keep in mind these are my personal observations, a couple of which have been repeated throughout the community so I think its safe to say they are in moderate demand.

1. The loot issue. This is an offender on a few fronts. Namely...

-Loot drops clearly favor the hosts character. About 80% of the drops, and all of the high quality ones are for the host character.

-No character import into a friends game. Without the ability to bring your toon into another friends world, the aforementioned loot issue really stings as its very difficult to build a gearset for a friend joining in late, especially as the levels get higher. For example, my companion is Anjali and she's now decently geared thanks to a bit of effort on my part. However my friend prefers Katarina, and when he joins as her she has nothing. Random junk.

2. The Multi-player camera issue. I'm not sure why Obsidian went with this choice. Anyone who's played MP knows what I mean, when a buddy joins your game, the camera angle shifts to a permanent drastic overhead camera that makes it very difficult to see. This quality of a game I don't see why each player can't have complete independent camera control. The same single player camera is perfect. You can still tether the characters together so they must adventure in the same area, thats fine with me. Just give us freedom of camera control and give back the ability to zoom if we wish.

To me, these are the only 2 offenders. While I know on issue 1, you can keep a healthy supply of gold to purchase gear for a buddy if he joins or start a completely new game from scratch and run a static party (only play with those people on this save). These options are good ones, but this simple change could drastically increase the fun factor in DS3.

The issue of the character import comes around in level difference. Taking my level 12 Reinhart into my buddies level 5 game would give us a significant advantage. However this has always been a drawing point for dungeon crawler games. Have your powerful buddy join you (if you so desire) and hold your hand throughout the story as you play catch up on exp. I figure the majority of the exp should go to the lower character with very little if any going to the higher level character until they are within a certain range (say, 2 levels?).

Without character import, the loot tables need to be shifted in order to preserve the fun in coop. I don't think anyone wants their friends to play with them get less than second rate drops the entire game while their character prospers in blues and unique items. This is only my experience in 2 player coop, so 4 player coop I imagine would be extremely difficult to gear all 4 players. Basically, in MP coop you need to change the loot tables from favoring the host so much.

I'm not a software programmer (yet), so I have no idea how difficult this kind of code would be to patch in. A loot table adjustment I would figure to be fairly easy. The character import, maybe not so much. The camera issue I would figure to be rather simple also, but again i'm not sure.

I think if you patched in these 2 ideas, Dungeon Siege 3 would be an easy 9.5/10 or maybe even a 10/10 game, I really have that few complaints about it. This is an extremely fun game with a ton of polish, for this I thank you Obsidian. Fix these 2 issues, and your game is flawless.

Discuss, and please keep this flame free. I don't care if you go troll in another thread, but this one is for serious well thought out ideas only. Complaining without attempt at resolution will accomplish nothing. :)

Yeah, this is pretty much my sentiments. Also add the lack of New Game + with higher difficulty like the older DS games. That pretty much extends the length of the game without too much work. (Only need to do the balancing rather than new graphics and content).

Also, the last act seems to be rushed IMO. If they stretched it out for a 3-4 hours more with some sidequests here and there I think the game's length could just be nice.

Yeah, this is pretty much my sentiments. Also add the lack of New Game + with higher difficulty like the older DS games. That pretty much extends the length of the game without too much work. (Only need to do the balancing rather than new graphics and content).

Also, the last act seems to be rushed IMO. If they stretched it out for a 3-4 hours more with some sidequests here and there I think the game's length could just be nice.

I haven't completed the game, but even so I can already say I encourage more content past the closing of the game. I'm always a fan of DLC in which the level cap is raised, and new very challenging high level content is added.

New Game+ i'm also a fan of. A super hard version of the campaign with your hard worked on character.

I wouldn't mind seeing more randomly generated enemies re-popping in the game world.

Example: After you clear out a certain dungeon for a quest or two, it wouldn't be bad to have lingering random enemies if you returned to said dungeon (if it at all makes sense of course).

These all sound like easy issues to fix via patch/DLC. Thus far DLC is a guaranteed purchase from me, I love this game.

Yeah New Game+ or something similar would be great, I never want my Dungeon Crawler characters to see "the end".

Mine could be that the future DLC it's about missions and new sets of equipment and of course dungeons and missions. Not overpowered items of course.. just nice sets of equipment.. a little better then those you get near the end of the game.

Mine could be that the future DLC it's about missions and new sets of equipment and of course dungeons and missions. Not overpowered items of course.. just nice sets of equipment.. a little better then those you get near the end of the game.

I'm in favor of any DLC that gives:

-More Loot

-More Quests

-More Levels

-More Monsters

Any or all of those 4 items in a DLC in this type of game and i'm totally up for it.

There are some things that needs improvement.

In a possible sequel:

More camera perspective options for mp. Let the host decide if the group should be tethered to the same screen or not.

I would imagine part of the tethering has to do with the netcode. They didn't really seem to have that many network programmers working on the game. I think it was just two guys working on that department. From story the pov tethering does make some sense though, it just shouldn't be very strict.

But if there is some added mp content for the game I would like to see an arena like in Magicka. Where the waves of enemies just keep coming and coming each harder than the last one, until you beat it or you wipe. Push the camera back a bit so you can see most of the arena.

For singleplayer:

More different & good looking loot.

New enemies

More places to visit

More boss fights since they were greatly done in the game.

Hate the living, love the dead.

Patch:

- Better UI for the PC (just make it smaller)

- A third camera option

- keymapping

DLC:

- more dungeons with puzzles & new environments (a place in the desert)

- want to visit new cities ruled by the royalists

- more lore and quests about the 3rd legion

- new enemies

- new non playable companions

- new abilities

- more awesome boss fights

- more unique loot

- An arena, with waves of monsters and loot.
TBH, from what I've seen/read I'm not sure this would work. For example Lucas' blade dash could easily destroy waves without him being touched.

Now (custom?) boss waves on the other hand..

TBH, from what I've seen/read I'm not sure this would work. For example Lucas' blade dash could easily destroy waves without him being touched.

I think it would be amazing anyway they did it.

With this ballet of a combat system that requires no resources that can't be replenished in combat, an arena would be brilliant.

Just make it very difficult, as this game rewards those teams who think on the spot and coordinate well.

The boss fights in this game are excellent.

You mix them up like in the campaign. Have a couple of ranged enemies and a handful of close quarters enemies.

Most of the boss fights take place in a similar arena type setting. I think it would work wonderfully in this game. Its all standard fare of mixing up the melee and ranged enemy types with a few more powerful hybrids, plus mini bosses and regular wave bosses.

It would be awesome and infinitely replayable.

Agreed on a lot of these sentiments. I would like the WASD controls to be improved as well. A and D should allow you to strafe left or right (and as fast as moving forward instead of the slowly strafing movements in NWN2) rather than tilt the camera like that. I guess most people prefer the point click movements but I'm more of a WASD person myself.

Aside from that, I'd love to see any upcoming dlc, I guess it's too much to request a full expansion pack like MOTB or SoZ but dlc with new quests and stories that go past the ending (the ending certainly implied new upcoming stories) would be fun.

So lets see if I have the tally correct.

The only known issue that has been addressed is the PC keybindings, and we're getting a fix. Totally sweet, thank you Obsidian.

Now we just want to hear about the possibilities of the other changes.

-Can the loot be modified in any way to benefit the coop scene?

-Can the camera be fixed to players desires?

-Will we ever be able to import characters?

I understand the thought of importing characters potentially hurting someones play experience by having a higher level breeze through it. If thats how they want to spend their 60$ so be it. Character import enables players to take their hard work to a friends game to show off, and quest along side your buddies character that he worked on. Being that this game has a definitive ending and you can't continue past it (yet) rushing someone through the game doesn't necessarily benefit them, it just speeds them through a beautiful game.

So, are any of these things possible Obsidian?

Saves persistent through multiplayer and single player. That is the ONLY thing I need or want. I can get over the camera tethering... I saw that in the demo. I didn't realize about the saves until I joined my friend's game last night, however. Very sad.

Saves persistent through multiplayer and single player. That is the ONLY thing I need or want. I can get over the camera tethering... I saw that in the demo. I didn't realize about the saves until I joined my friend's game last night, however. Very sad.

Yeah I could totally deal with the camera if the loot/save/import issue were fixed/changed.

We do get 50 save slots, more than enough to have a static save for each friend or set of friends you play with. That way you could have a save for any combination of buddies you have.

We had exactly 4 guys ready for DS3, and we all wanted to play a different character. Not a single conflict there. And we already agreed loot would be divided on need, this was of course before we realized loot was character specific which made life even easier. But lacking the character import function we were completely convinced this game would have, it makes it complicated. So you have to have several different games going on with different saves. Or their character would just get the scraps and be auto leveled when they rejoin.

I'd love a change in that department though. As it stands even the static idea isn't as good due to the loot drops clearly favoring the hosts character. Not a horrible system as it is, but it could be slightly tweaked for a massive gain in fun factor.

I hope its as easy as it sounds. I have no doubt Obsidian is a talented capable bunch. They earned a spot on my favorite developer list when they made FO:NV, and DS3 is another example of a quality game from a quality developer.

Edited by Bakercompany86

Agree about loot for host (my gf is getting pissed off that her loot is not as good as mine, this does not bode well for me IRL!), also agree about the camera. I was quite disappointed when I realized that the camera was not zoomable AT ALL during local co op. It needs to pan out a lot further so we can see what the hell is going on.

Totally support DLC, haven't finished the game yet but already want it to go for ages!

I think this game really would have benefited from a behind the character 3rd person view like Dragon Age 2. The game is built for it with direct character control and buttons directly controlling the swings.

As for the multiplayer camera I have an idea:

I understand why coop buddies are forced to stay close. They need to help the main character with the fights and allowing them to just run off would get both players killed. However, I think the system could be vastly improved. How about allowing everyone to control their own cameras when playing online coop? How do you fix it so people don't wander off and leave the main character to die? Have a circular 'aura' or line around the character that coop buddies have to stay within. They still can control where they look and go a bit further away from the main character but they still have to stay close and help.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Even if the characters are tethered together like they currently are, there's no reason why each player can't control the camera independently in the exact same fashion as single player. No matter what you can't leave each other behind, but why would it matter what angle the player is viewing combat through? This to me would be a pretty simple fix.