Commercial success

Post info here regarding how well Dungeon Siege 3 is selling.

It's in 2nd place on Steam.

3rd place(digital) and 16th retail on Amazon.com for the PC.

20th place for the 360 on Amazon.com.

18th for the PS3 on Amazon.com, as well.

It's among the best sellers on Gamestop's home page.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

was there ever any doubt?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

The PC version is doing as good as the PC version of DNF?

See these are stats we should be judging on not silly weekly rankings the TC posted. You can be #1 for release week but be an absolute commercial failure. Dungeon Siege 3 has been released in a time with no other big name titles... had it been released in april/may or october/november when the big name titles of the year are released it's ranking would be quite terrible.

Woah what?! As successful as DNF on steam?

I mean, I was a little worried what with the metacritic score currently as low as Alpha Protocol (alpha protocol didn't sell very well right?) good to see the game is selling fairly well after all.

Not exactly. The Duke is out longer so there aren't as many players anymore.

the metacritic score currently as low as Alpha Protocol

since when 74 is a "low" score? on a 100 scale, 74 is 3/4s, how is that "low"?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

In a success driven industry? Low enough to not have any illusions of 2 million+ sales.

It's low by modern review standards, and by many publisher expectations.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

74 is a decent score by normal peoples' standards (indeed I'd rate DS3 in the 70s by my personal scale) but by metacritic's standards where review scores are incredibly bloated and good-great games are 80+ it's pretty low.

@Sannom I think someone posted a while back here (it was around the time the release date was delayed I think) that Square expected around 1 mill sales for the title.

Edited by ShadowScythe

In a success driven industry? Low enough to not have any illusions of 2 million+ sales.

What were Square's expectations for the title, by the way? We had a number a while ago I think.

Around 1.5 mil I think.

Low enough to not have any illusions of 2 million+ sales.

since when are the sales directly connected to metacritic scores? I don't know any people who buy games based on an aggregated score on some web-site with no credibility. it does affect the sales somewhat, but in no way is 74 a low score.

Walsingham said:

What were Square's expectations for the title, by the way? We had a number a while ago I think.

1 Million, IIRC.

I thought it was more "average"; if this was painted as a triple A title game it would be low, true. Kinda makes the question; was it painted as an AAA title?

Very few games get below 60 and it's been this way for a very long time now. If you browse metacritic by RPG then Dungeon Siege 3 will appear on page 15 towards the bottom out of 32 pages (page 32 only has a couple games on it). So Dungeon Siege 3 is about the half way mark... half of all RPG's got a better score than it... A score of 60 only first appears on page 26/32 (there are about 30 games listed per page). Game reviews have been on a terrible scale for a long time now, the values have been inflated far too much. So basically the 60-70 range typically means bad, 70-80 average, 80-90 good, 90-100 excellent.

I really don't see Square-Enix expecting DS3 to be a 80%+ title.

They would need a bigger investment for that.

no way is 74 a low score.

That's true but we are talking psychological boundaries here.

For instance it takes 75% for green color on metacritic score.

And console versions are now at 72/71% so they may still fall below 70% boundary.

I guess my vision is skewed by rotten tomatoes. over there any movie that has a "fresh" rating is considered a good movie, and to be fresh you only need to score above 59 (IIRC)

Walsingham said:

I thought it was more "average"; if this was painted as a triple A title game it would be low, true. Kinda makes the question; was it painted as an AAA title?

If they expected a million sales i seriosuly doubt it, besides the game isn't that great don't get me wrong i do like it but it lacks depth.

it lacks depth.

man, you better not post anything at all, than something like that. I feel insulted, "lacks depth" compared to what? and who defined "depth" in a video game in the first place? and what the hell is with that user handle?

Walsingham said:

If they expected a million sales i seriosuly doubt it, besides the game isn't that great don't get me wrong i do like it but it lacks depth.

How do you define "depth"? For me DSIII has quite a lot of depth actually.