Multiplayer Questions/Comments

So I have to say this game is definitely a ton of fun and it looks gorgeous. I've been playing as Reinhart and i'm happy with my decision he fits my play style nicely with a lot of defensive moves and tricks.

My friend really likes Katerina and enjoys her deft gunplay. Together we make an excellent duo and are currently tackling the content on the hardest difficulty.

My biggest question, is there no way to have our personal characters with their gear in each others games? Did Obsidian really go the route of *almost* like Fable 2 where people who join your game are just backseat riders to your main adventure?

I noticed when I joined his game, we were both level 4 (at his level). I selected Reinhart and began helping him in the fight. He kept getting excited for his crits and how much damage he was doing, and how cool it looked. Meanwhile I was weaving my defenses as Reinhart and blasting enemies with lightning. But what I noticed was *my* damage was horrible. I opened up my gear screen and realized none of my gear made it over, I was basically naked with maybe one or two non-standard items but ultimately crap.

We then tried the reverse. He joined my game with my level 6 Reinhart and much much better gear. Again his Katerina had no gear and did very little damage compared to the giant blasts of destruction I was unleashing.

So is there some point in the game where it allows you to bring your full character over? Or are the other 1-3 people on your journey to be content as garbage filler? The gear generated for your "henchmen" isn't even 5% of the quality that you've accumulated. On top of that as you adventure, it seems that the gear drops are 80% in favor of the host players character.

Please tell me there is another way...

My other complaint is the same as i've seen in similar posts in this forum, the camera. So I need not ask any future questions, but add my hat into the ring that would allow independent camera control for each player to a much greater degree. The shared screen isn't' so bad, but you lose the ability to zoom and have a much better camera angle.

So I guess my official Dungeon Siege 3 patch request is 2 things.

1. Better Camera on MP

2. The entire MP loot issue (items not transferring into foreign games, the loot drops concerning host and henchmen, etc.)

Address these 2 issues and this game is easily a 9-9.5/10 from me. Everything else is beautiful.

Regarding the loot and character levels, those are all host game dependent. Really, the game is designed for co-op with friends, and I guess the recommended way to play through the game is from start to finish in co-op with your friend. That way both of you build your characters together, and as such can customize your respective builds to work well with one another.

Think that you have one Reinhart to play through the campaign in single player and another one to do the same with your friend.

One point you mention that I haven't seen pointed out is the one about loot drops being skewed towards the host. Does everyone experience this with loot drops?

Regarding the camera I don't think we can expect independent cameras to be added in a patch. But a change to the camera's maximum height might be feasible. Perhaps a dev can clarify that.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The host is the only one that can save the progress of the the others players .

As long as you keep playing (continue) with the same gamer the character will keep abilities/level/loot < if the host didn't change it playing alone).

I didn't even think about starting a brand new game from scratch. It is definitely structured in favor of that, and perhaps the loot tables would balance out a bit if I hadn't already played so far.

I would like to hear from a dev on both issues if thats a feasible request.

I'll let my buddy know we need to play start to finish. That does make it very difficult to have the full 4 player coop as not all 4 people will always be available. I would have been in favor more of a drop in drop out coop where you keep your main characters personal equipment. I wouldn't even care if you put level caps on the items, so if you were level 20, and you joined a level 5 game you would be adjusted to level 5 and keep your equipment, just not be able to wield it. Or something to that effect.

As a single player experience this game is what I had wished Dragon Age was. DA's combat kind of put me to sleep, and I find this game fresh and challenging with lots of fun factor in its combat mechanics. Add increased difficulty and multiple players and its a gorgeous well polished dungeon crawler that I really can't find anymore complaints about.

In my single plaeyr experience, my 'henchmen' seem to get good drops, though not as many drops as the main character - hell, I'm always overloaded with Reinhardt loot in particular even before you meet him. Gold is also pretty abundant, so you can get pretty good loot for the buddy character that way.

In my single plaeyr experience, my 'henchmen' seem to get good drops, though not as many drops as the main character - hell, I'm always overloaded with Reinhardt loot in particular even before you meet him. Gold is also pretty abundant, so you can get pretty good loot for the buddy character that way.

Very true. Just an interesting design choice for me. Dungeon Siege 3 in no way feels hurried or unfinished, so this to me just seems like an actual design choice.

I'd much rather them be able to bring their gear or at least once they have an avatar in my world, have the loot drops enable them to get geared to a decent level fairly quickly.

But as it stands the host character continues to get loads of blue and green drops, and the off character gets crap. Even after my friend left my world, the game resumed dropping lots of stuff for Anjali not the Katarina that was still following me.

Just a bit weird, I hope they can patch it to smooth it out a bit. Just these couple things are holding DS3 from being a near flawless game to me and fully enjoying the coop experience. I could even forgo all camera changes if you would just adjust the mp loot issues.

I'm not trying to turn this into Diablo, but I don't want my friends following me around as half-effective tagalongs.

Very true. Just an interesting design choice for me. Dungeon Siege 3 in no way feels hurried or unfinished, so this to me just seems like an actual design choice.

I'd much rather them be able to bring their gear or at least once they have an avatar in my world, have the loot drops enable them to get geared to a decent level fairly quickly.

But as it stands the host character continues to get loads of blue and green drops, and the off character gets crap. Even after my friend left my world, the game resumed dropping lots of stuff for Anjali not the Katarina that was still following me.

Just a bit weird, I hope they can patch it to smooth it out a bit. Just these couple things are holding DS3 from being a near flawless game to me and fully enjoying the coop experience. I could even forgo all camera changes if you would just adjust the mp loot issues.

I'm not trying to turn this into Diablo, but I don't want my friends following me around as half-effective tagalongs.

I've found that loot drops favour the host, and the secondary player doesn't get much at all.

What really strikes me here is that some people were wanting Borderlands, wereas DS3 is Icewind Dale. For a group wanting to playtogeather it's great. For random games it's terrible.

Failing Fallout:

The tale of an average Joe making his way in the Mojave: Failing Fallout New Vegas

The tale of an average Joe forced out into the Capital Wasteland: Failing Fallout 3

I've found that its incredibly hard to play areas with tight spaces on Xbox 360 as the camera picks the worse possible zoomed in angle and both me and my friends get killed by projectiles from Mobs we can't see because we are too busy fighting the lvl 100 Epic Terrible Camera.

In no way do I understand how easy or difficult it would be to patch in code that allows players to use their primary characters, with inventory in tact. My friends and I weren't horribly disappointed, just surprised at the decision to do that. Would have been much more fun to up the difficulty depending on how many characters are present (it may already do this) but to a greater degree while the players were allowed to use their home character with all the stuff accumulated.

I agree with the above post that said the secondary character gets ripped. This goes hand in hand with the #1 thing I wanted changed which is bringing your fully loaded toon into others game worlds. Even solo my partner gets less than 10% of the gear I get. I'm almost completely in blue rated gear at level 8 or 9 can't remember, and I think Anjali might have 2 green pieces.

This game really has great coop AI. I have zero complaints in my companions performance. Loot is so plentiful for Reinhart while I control him, i'm selling gobs of stuff. I suppose you can use the money to purchase your AI partner better gear. Here i'd like to see more frequent and balanced loot drops dependent on characters present. I like Anjali as a partner (love her fire hound) i'd love to have her better equipped, as well as it being easier to equip my buddies who join me.

Please Obsidian tell me these things are possible.

Exactly what incentive is there to play a multi-player game with a random person off x-box live when our characters/game receive no benefit from this.

You may as well have just erased the multi-player aspect of it. Playing someone else's game is pointless, and then you gotta share a tiny zoomed in camera. What a joke. Did you even beta test this? Even in part 1 and 2 we didn't have to share screens.

How in your 3rd sequel did you mange to make multi-player worse?

Since when did people stop having fun playing videogames? Possibly it's a hyperbole but so many people are saying there is no incentive at all in trying multiplayer but there is that you enjoy playing the game; but couldn't be tossed dealing with the RPG aspects of it.

All right then, What is the incentive to player multi-player RATHER than single player. Unless you have dedicated friends to always play with then you're going to be playing a new character every time that is built to somebody else's desired play-style.

Sure its still fun to play the game, but why settle for a less fun play model? If you polled everyone who was to buy the game I'm sure the number of people who DONT want to be able to bring their own character into the multiplayer games would be less than 1%.

Fun in a more social environment; plus you only have to worry about the combat as you can go AFK during the talking moments.

Well... On the X-box you can actually "re-level" the character when you log in and I think that's a feature that should have been in the PC.

Upon greater playtime, the loot issue isn't as much a problem as you get up in levels. I'm now at 12 and Anjali's gear is looking pretty decent. She's got a massive chunk of HP compared to me (800 to my 500) and again, she's a great AI ally.

I also have enough money to purchase someone and entire green set with some blues thrown in. So if my buddy seriously wanted to get in the action with either 2 characters other than Anjali, I could build them a decent suit. Or if they play Anjali, they're set.

So thats not too terrible actually. It still preserves a lot of what is great about this game. I must also say, all the side quests are a blast. No spoilers, but I just did the Crypt quest and man was it not only cool but worth it!

While these mechanics for loot and such aren't condoning of a random xbox live experience, its not so bad when its your buddies and you don't mind building them a character in your world. Would still prefer it the other way, but if it never changed i'd still play DS3.

Fun in a more social environment; plus you only have to worry about the combat as you can go AFK during the talking moments.

Well... On the X-box you can actually "re-level" the character when you log in and I think that's a feature that should have been in the PC.

It works like that in all versions of the game.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Ever played games like this before in co-op online with randoms? Sacred 2 and Borderlands, two more recent examples come to mind here.

Where's the fun in some random joining your game, being over powered and one hitting monsters, giving you tons of high end items that you can't even use yet or have even been modded (messing up your save potentially), and taking the challenge away from it for you?

Where's the fun in joining your friends game as a level 20, not being able to level up anymore, already having the best loot for your character? Killing everything for him and taking away the challenge of the game for him?

I just dont see the fun in that. It's just pointless.

I think the current mechanic is just fine. Just start from the beginning, with a friend who isn't an idiot, and keep that save seperate from your single player saves. Make that save just for your co-op game.

Profit.

Edited by Unreal Warfare

I really have very few complaints about this game. I think after this post i'll make an official community request thread after this post.

The pros of this game far outweigh the cons. The things I love about this game are too numerous for me to be anything but happy with this release. And in a sea of recent garbage releases this game really shines.

This means I love Obsidian, for DS3 and for Fallout: New Vegas. So thank you Obsidian.

Okay time for the request thread.

Hi

I like the game a lot. The graphic style is good and so on, the abilities are cool and there is plenty of loot. The most negative thing about the game is that it's too easy, even on hardcore Katarina and Reinhart absolutely murder all the mobs and bosses that me and my friend have came across... well ok the upper raven rill boss wiped us once :( . This is when the game is played in co-op, its even easier on single player because the enemies have less health :/

I haven't finished the game yet on co-op or single player but so far it seem's somewhat easy, perhaps there should be a focus penalty on rolling, something like 10 or 5 focus per roll ?