DS3 Rminds me of Icewind Dale

I don't think the narrative is as strong or the game is as long... but it totally gave be a IWD/Diablo hybrid vibe. I would LOVE to see IWD with this engine.

:sorcerer:

Failing Fallout:

The tale of an average Joe making his way in the Mojave: Failing Fallout New Vegas

The tale of an average Joe forced out into the Capital Wasteland: Failing Fallout 3

Ummm...neither does DS3. Call it many things, but it wasn't condescending, it didn't treat the player like a moron, and for an arpg the combat was quite tactical (no buttonmashing or awesome buttons) and the mechanics were quite varied.

YMMV on whether DS3 is value for money I guess (I got my money's worth personally) but the other thing you said is incredibly outlandish.

I don't really see the similarities. Other than beautiful looking backgrounds. :ermm:

Icewind Dale, while being a combat focused game, still managed to have a strong narrative and solid roleplaying. Dungeon Siege is much the same. The focus of the combat is a lot different, but the idea of mixing strong story and roleplaying into a game that is predominantly about combat is in the same vain.

I

Failing Fallout:

The tale of an average Joe making his way in the Mojave: Failing Fallout New Vegas

The tale of an average Joe forced out into the Capital Wasteland: Failing Fallout 3

I’m very curious about the limits of Obsidian’s engine – will it support realtime with pause gameplay? And how about more complex (D20 style) characters? Is this engine hack ‘n slash only or can it support more complex RPG mechanics.

I'd say its very flexible in its mechanics. We haven't seen a "true" rpg so far but aside from DSIII, Aliens: Crucible was also on Onyx and that was for example a shooter rpg.

Edited by C2B

What I mean is the narative story telling reminds me of the Icewind Dale series.... Anyone else feel this way? I really think they have done a superb job!!!

Icewind Dale (IWD) I and II.... hmm...

1) Full party of 6 members

2) Character customization according to the AD&D-rules (e.g. multiclassing)

3) 100+ hours

4) replay+ called "heart of fury", which was an absolutely new game experience

5) No console port

6) Lots of totally different classes (e.g. monk)

7) "PAUSE"-feature during combat

So, IMO IWD should be the example, how a really *good* action-based RPG *could* be.

Icewind Dale (IWD) I and II.... hmm...

1) Full party of 6 members

2) Character customization according to the AD&D-rules (e.g. multiclassing)

3) 100+ hours

5) No console port

6) Lots of totally different classes (e.g. monk)

7) "PAUSE"-feature during combat

So, IMO IWD should be the example, how a really *good* action-based RPG *could* be.

No way in hell either Icewind Dale was 100+ hours unless you took a nap every couple of minutes at the computer and counted that as play time. :)

Wait.. Icewind Dale was an action RPG? No wonder it's the only IE based game I ever bothered to complete.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Wait.. Icewind Dale was an action RPG? No wonder it's the only IE based game I ever bothered to complete.

AFAIR it was meant as sequel to Baldurs Gate. But then it became a stand-alone title.

It was - as far as an AD&D-game could be called this - "action based" (note the word "based").

As example: You could swap characters in and out of your party, which was useful in some fights.

Edited by AnjyBelle

man, this "action rpg" label sure gets thrown around a lot these days...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

By "action-RPG", they mean "combat-heavy RPG". But since you were certainly sarcastic, you probably already know that.

3) 100+ hours

5) No console port

3) Only if you were REALLY bad.

4) That was just the difficulty turned up to 11. That's like calling ANY game's hardcore mode a 'whole new game experience'

5) I'm a console gamer (mostly due to having a family), and this is a pet peeve of mine. I'd love a IE style RPG on my console. Dumbing down a game to sell more to the massive console casual market =/= a requirement to dumb down a game just because it's coming to console.

Agree with all your other points.

IWD 3 (or a spiritual sequal to IWD) please!

As example: You could swap characters in and out of your party, which was useful in some fights.

Unless you're pulling in maxed level characters from a previous game (i.e. basically cheating) the new characters would be first level. When would that ever be a good idea?

By "action-RPG", they mean "combat-heavy RPG". But since you were certainly sarcastic, you probably already know that.

Seriously? It

Failing Fallout:

@ Tel Prydain

Well, call me a "bad player" if it fancies your self-consciousness :)

I admit, I am ways slower than the most, because I really open anything and check every corner. The time for this sums up...

"HoF":

I never was a great Diablo-player. Heck, I even refused to play the first one, so my experiences are limited to the sequel. I played all the levels up to "hell" or whatever it was called.

In IWD I had the first time the opportunity to restart with a "grown up" party in an AD&D-RPG! That was my new experience. To see all these high level spells and high level skills!

To see the monk, who was weak during the first 2/3 of my first run finally shine and own the mobs!

For me it was fascinating and since then I'd love to see a NWN 2 or a DA:O with a "replay+"-option (I realize, that this is not easy to do for the devs).

So, IMO it's not correct to talk "HoF" down to the niveau of many other action (RPG) games, where higher difficulty = insanely strong mobs and nothing more.

Swapping characters:

Well, when someone does it like you wrote, that would be cheap. But what about the possibility to swap in a special class for a special mob, when both, the current party and the swapped in

character have about the same level?

Again I think, you want to talk down good game features just to talk them down.

But as one pleases. :)

Edited by AnjyBelle

Again I think, you want to talk down good game features just to talk them down.

it wasn't a good feature, it was a good concept, but implemented badly. unless you're a freak like me and like to play through the game with a low-level party, utilizing every tactical advantage you can get, then losing a character midway through the game isn't such a big deal. otherwise, having a lv 1 char in a lv 15 party, for example, doesn't make any sense

they fixed it later in NWN and the such, when the new character would instantly get a huge xp boost and become of the same level as your party's average.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I think the closest game you could compare DS 3 to is Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2. I just beat it a few months ago on an original XBox and this game feels like the spiritual successor. Considering Dark Alliance 2 was a Black Isle property I wouldn't be surprised if some of the devs who worked on it also worked on this.

Dark Alliance 2 has much more features and replay value than DS3. So it's the streamlined spiritual successor? Not to mention shouldn't this game feel like the successor to DS1 and 2? Oh wait "NOT THE FOCUS OF THE GAME!"

Edited by MonkeyLungs

Dark Alliance 2 has much more features and replay value than DS3. So it's the streamlined spiritual successor? Not to mention shouldn't this game feel like the successor to DS1 and 2? Oh wait "NOT THE FOCUS OF THE GAME!"

What are these extra features you are talking about? No comment on replayability yet. I wouldn't mind trying a different character in Dark Alliance at some point. I've only played the original and its sequel once but I enjoyed them. I haven't finished DS 3 yet (I'm playing little bits at a time) but so far I'm enjoying it more so than I enjoyed Dark Alliance 1 & 2.

As for DS 3 not being the successor to DS 1 & 2... well what can I say but they used the license to make a Dark Alliance style game. I can see why DS fans are mad, but I loved the Dark Alliance style of action RPG and I'm glad DS 3 is closer to it than DS 1 & 2.

What are these extra features you are talking about? No comment on replayability yet. I wouldn't mind trying a different character in Dark Alliance at some point. I've only played the original and its sequel once but I enjoyed them. I haven't finished DS 3 yet (I'm playing little bits at a time) but so far I'm enjoying it more so than I enjoyed Dark Alliance 1 & 2.

As for DS 3 not being the successor to DS 1 & 2... well what can I say but they used the license to make a Dark Alliance style game. I can see why DS fans are mad, but I loved the Dark Alliance style of action RPG and I'm glad DS 3 is closer to it than DS 1 & 2.

Well, both BG: DA 1&2 had Newgame+ modes (a very unique take at Newgame+, too), and if I remember correctly, they both had persistent multiplayer characters. If you haven't tried the Newgame+, I would highly recommend it. =)

Edited by hopfrog16