CPU usage

taviow

Question

I have posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry guys. It seems I got used to having only a single subforum for DS3.

Pretty sure this is unnecessary, especially when the game is minimized.

3ydOn.png

I'm fine with it using 100% of the processor and I'm glad it runs so well here, but when I minimize the game I'd expect the CPU usage to lower. The same happens even in the menu. Clearly something is not right.

Any thoughts? I think this is something that should be fixed.

EDIT: I can confirm that the CPU usage is always 100% even when everything is set to the lowest possible settings. Minimized or not, maxed or not, 100% usage on all cores.

After the game is closed:

UAXNM.png

Edited by taviow

25 answers to this question

Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3ghz

Geforce GTS 450

3GB of 800mhz RAM

Hmm so you're on an NVIDIA...I heard that the game was optimized for multi core processors...I have an i7 but still getting the same issue.

Try lowering the game's process priority.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

This sort of helped...maybe. Just played for about an hour before getting the crazy CPU usage spikes as soon as I entered the fight with Gunderic.

What's weird is the CPU usage spikes continue even after I've exited the game for about 2 minutes. Then everything is fine again.

Hm, I just noticed this as well, it's always at 100%. Weird thing is it seemingly doesn't affect game or system performance. Usually when something's at 100% CPU usage my computer becomes unresponsive and slow as hell. I ran some other games together and the DS3's CPU usage went down accordingly to what the other stuff was using.

Still no clue what's it doing or if it's related to any instabilities.

What's weird is the CPU usage spikes continue even after I've exited the game for about 2 minutes. Then everything is fine again.

thats indicative of antivirus software, or anything else that intercepts process handles, gradually relinquishing their grasp.

'Resource Monitor' in windows 7 (can be accessed via the task manager - performance tab) will show you exactly what dungeon siege 3 is doing on disk, network, memory and more.

when you quit out the DS3 process should terminate, and if the system is still churning away then you can identify via that program whats doing it - then get rid of it.

Edited by brandysnap

Interesting. Reading this I thought I'd check mine. Stays steady at around 30%, more or less, for me. Nvidia, i7, no anti-virus or much of anything in the right side of the task bar. Sounds like DS3 doesn't like some background process.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I feel that the steam client is the culprit. When I quit the game after this happens, my CPU is incredibly choppy and spiking. When I end the steam client's process, it fixes itself very fast.

I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I feel that the steam client is the culprit. When I quit the game after this happens, my CPU is incredibly choppy and spiking. When I end the steam client's process, it fixes itself very fast.

Ending the Steam process lowers the CPU usage to about 50%, but the game doesn't work anymore afterwards.

Try starting the game directly from the executable.

Heja Sverige!!

Okay, not sure which one of these helped, but we played for about 2 hours straight through a lot of intense fights tonight and experienced no problems. Here's what I did:

Terminated my anti virus process tree.

Turned off windows updates.

Exited spybot.

Started the game from the exe.

I've also noticed steam is taking a very very long time to log in to my user account, starting the game via the exe seemed to make this a lot faster. I didn't lower the process affinity at all.

The Steam client is terrible as far as performance is concerned, and it's the main reason why my PC takes too long to start.

Heja Sverige!!

It's pretty fast here. Also I've tried doing everything you guys suggested and it doesn't work. I can deal with this, I mean, the game runs well. I wish CPU usage would drop when I minimize the game though.

Edited by taviow

Okay, not sure which one of these helped, but we played for about 2 hours straight through a lot of intense fights tonight and experienced no problems. Here's what I did:

Exited spybot.

I've also noticed steam is taking a very very long time to log in to my user account, starting the game via the exe seemed to make this a lot faster. I didn't lower the process affinity at all.

steam is having problems today, so thats probably why its taking ages to login.

i get all sorts of database errors from the steampowered forums. probably lulzsec ddos attacks again.

Steam's problems are possibly related to the Team Fortress 2 update. It happens quite often with those.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Exited spybot.

First of all... u r a moron if u kill antivirus-soft...

Second... windows updates doesnt download those updates all the time. Usually those updates are published on tuesdays. Most often first (or second) tuesday on each month. Unless u have just installed windows u dont have concern those

Third... spybot running backround all the time ? Moron...

Started game from .exe ? WOW !!! u must be a hacker !

It doesnt have northing to do "fluid" gaming if u start game from .exe or from steam.

Today/yesterday there has been several thousands people who has been downloading those steam free games etc. That's one of reasons why your steam / CPU is "stuttering" or simply ur CPU is so crap that it cant handle few program.

Go buy new one.

And this same thing for everybody who's whining that this is "hard game for CPU"... this really is NOT !

Exited spybot.

First of all... u r a moron if u kill antivirus-soft...

Second... windows updates doesnt download those updates all the time. Usually those updates are published on tuesdays. Most often first (or second) tuesday on each month. Unless u have just installed windows u dont have concern those

Third... spybot running backround all the time ? Moron...

Started game from .exe ? WOW !!! u must be a hacker !

It doesnt have northing to do "fluid" gaming if u start game from .exe or from steam.

Today/yesterday there has been several thousands people who has been downloading those steam free games etc. That's one of reasons why your steam / CPU is "stuttering" or simply ur CPU is so crap that it cant handle few program.

Go buy new one.

And this same thing for everybody who's whining that this is "hard game for CPU"... this really is NOT !

Wow so much rage. I was only posting that info to help others who might be having the same issues. Whatever you claim to think you know, I have had unexplainable issues with performance at times. You really are a human **** it seems, and have as much of a brain as one too. Please go frack yourself.

Go buy new one.

I fail to believe that people downloading Steam games, even if thousands people are downloading them, would affect my CPU usage while playing Dungeon Siege III. I also don't believe for a moment that buying a new CPU is the solution to my problems. I don't think any of us can afford (or even would be willing to, if they could) buying new parts every time we come across a software issue. My processor is outdated at this point, but it remains a great processor that has thus far fulfilled all my needs, gaming or otherwise.

And the tone of your post is completely unwarranted. No one here has given you any reason to write such a disrespectful post, in which you also don't provide any useful information whatsoever.

Now hopefully we can move on and continue talking about this issue.