DS3 Will Not Run

Daalen

Question

"Dungeon Siege III has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Message appears immediately after trying to launch the game. Redownloaded and reinstalled through Steam 3x and rebooted, and checked other things mentioned in similar posts such as checking with the regional options and so on. I meet all the system requirements to run it.

Everytime I check for validity of the game cache in Steam it keeps saying 1 file was missing and supposedly downloads it, but to no avail. Only firewall running is the Windows one.

14 answers to this question

Hey Daalen,

Would you mind sending your DxDiag file out to bugs@obsidian.net?

Here's a tutorial on how to get this file on Windows 7 (it's very similar on Windows XP, but just bring up Start->Run and enter 'dxdiag'):

. Please include its contents in the e-mail.

Let me get back to sleeping. I'm tired...

I too am having this issue.

Whenever I run the program, I get an error message that says:

"Dungeon Siege III.exe has stopped working.

A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly.

Please close the program."

I did not have this issue before the 12MB patch that was downloaded by Steam earlier this week (I haven't tried playing the game before now, but I was able to play before the patch)

The error message in the Event Viewwer is listed as:

Faulting application name: Dungeon Siege III.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e038749

Faulting module name: Dungeon Siege III.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x4e038749

Exception code: 0xc00000fd

Fault offset: 0x0027368f

Faulting process id: 0xd2c

Faulting application start time: 0x01cc33bc456af80b

Faulting application path: f:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\dungeon siege iii\Dungeon Siege III.exe

Faulting module path: f:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\dungeonsiege iii\Dungeon Siege III.exe

Report Id: 85817764-9faf-11e0-a4fd-d4efb160190f

This is with the Retail version of the game, purchased from Gamestop, with the Gamestop pre-order items applied to the game.

Doing some google searching, I saw that this error might be caused by DEP so I attempted to disable DEP for DS3 but that did not help.

I also attempted to send this message and my DxDiag to the email address listed above, but it was bounced back by your mail server.

I've had this problem since the game came out. Never have gotten it to run. I get the same error, except mine says 'we're sorry for any inconvenience' after saying it has to close. I tried the verifying the file, for those that don't know how:

Go to Steam Library

Right click game

select properties

select local files tab

click to verify integrity of the game cache

Mine ALWAYS comes up with 'one file failed to validate and will be reaquired' then it proceeds to do so, I do another verify cache, and get the same message. I've uninstalled, closed my AV, re-installed but still get the same message. Wish there were some way I could actually use the game disk I got from Gamestop to install and see what happens. I've mostly given up being able to play this game.

Found another post on this forum about installing from my game disk, followed the directions and it did indeed install from my game disk, but I still get the same error, so that didn't work for me.

Edited by icemaiden

Launched the game for the second time today (only launched it to see If i can run it at full details last week, then decided to wait for more patches). Have the same problem, also have one file missing according to steam, and verifying the game cache doesn't do anything. Sent the error message and dxdiag to bugs@obsidian.net today, as per Alvin Nelson's recommendation.

Any chance this could have something to do with Limited Edition bonus key applied?

Over the weekend, I decided to try something.

I went to my Steam folder and renamed the DS3 folder to "Dungeon Siege III.old"

I then created a new "Dungeon Siege III" folder with nothing in it.

Then, I told steam to verify the local cache.

It re-downloaded the entire game, and now it is working.

I went and did a binary file compare on the old files vs the new files and it found NO DIFFERENCES, meaning the files were exactly the same.

Why one works and the other doesn't, I have no idea, but those of you having this issue may want to try it.

Over the weekend, I decided to try something.

I went to my Steam folder and renamed the DS3 folder to "Dungeon Siege III.old"

I then created a new "Dungeon Siege III" folder with nothing in it.

Then, I told steam to verify the local cache.

It re-downloaded the entire game, and now it is working.

I went and did a binary file compare on the old files vs the new files and it found NO DIFFERENCES, meaning the files were exactly the same.

Why one works and the other doesn't, I have no idea, but those of you having this issue may want to try it.

That makes me think it was some error in the installation process. Not a problem with the game files, but a problem with something that gets installed elsewhere. Just uneducated speculation on my part.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

That's happened so many times with various games for me over the years - works fine the first time, dies after. Might be something to do with how many games set various preferences and configurations when they first run (e.g. in older games, setting a problematic resolution). No idea what did it here, though.

Yeah but in my case, it worked when i first launched it. Only after I lanuched it the second time a week later, this happened.

That's the issue I was having as well.

Worked the first couple of days I tried playing it, then I didn't play it for a while till after the "Localization" patch that fixed the "US English" problem that some were having.

It never worked after that, until I did the steps I outlined in my previous post.

I'd start the game, and it would crash with the "Windows needs to close this program" error before the splash screens would even display.

Ianesz, try this, internet bandwidth availability, providing.. (You might be capped, I don't know)

Browse to your DS3 folder. Usually is \Program Files(X86)\steam\steamapps\common\dungeon siege iii

Rename this folder to dungeon siege iii.old

Create a new folder named dungeon siege iii

Right click on Dungeon Siege 3 in your Steam Library

Tell it to verify the local file cache. (I don't remember the exact wording here at work)

Steam will re-download the entire game. (roughly 4.6 gigs)

Try playing the game after it finishes.

You will still have your Save games and settings from before as they are stored in your documents folder.