Feargus Urquhart interview on gamesTM

funcroc

I like Mr. U, but he is is imply wrong here. As mentioned on the Codex, even main stream sports games like NBA 2K11 and Madden feature character creation and hits you with more stats, rules, and stuff than any RPG cna ever hope to. To claim that mainstrema agmers cna't handle stats or character creation is just plain balony.

This, I spent more time creating My Player in 2k11 then I ever have in a RPG. Also look at FPS, their online components have customization now. Really what it is, is that many RPG devs are getting so enamoured with their writing and cinematic experience, that they see character creation as not being as important as the previously mentioned items and in some cases detrimental to them. And in some cases it's our fault, ask most RPG fans, what the most important thing is? They'll say writing, you'll also here immersion, then gameplay followed by graphics. Many won't mention character creation. So from a devs point of view, if many people don't mention it as much as other items, it can't be that important right?

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

"Obsidian is diverse in its offering"

Obsidian's offerings aren't that diverse and certainly not more diverse than BIO's. BIO has made games like MDK2, BG2, NWN, JE, ME, and S:RPG. throw in the internet based games.. That's A LOT more diverity than Obsidian which outside of the epic fialure of AP their games are limited to sequels to popular games.

This worked for NWN2 and KOTOR2 which were fun games.

"Different styles, different focus, different games."

No.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Obsidian's offerings aren't that diverse and certainly not more diverse than BIO's. BIO has made games like MDK2, BG2, NWN, JE, ME, and S:RPG. throw in the internet based games..

I'm couting since Obsidian's creation, obviously. Five IPs, against Bioware's four. In one of those IPs, Obsidian did 3 games very different in tone, basically covering the whole spectrum of the IE games. And in one year, Obsidian released three very different games, while Bioware released one game, its two sequels (one of them poorly received by fans) and another sequel.

No.

Yes.

I certainly don't need a diversified portfolio from Obsidian, I mean nobody wants to play a shooter from them. Just stick with RPGs. Both 3rd party IP and Original.

RPGs are probably one of the most diverse genre in video games. Obsidian won't need to dabble in other genres :lol: .

Edited by Sannom

"I certainly don't need a diversified portfolio from Obsidian, I mean nobody wants to play a shooter from them. Just stick with RPGs. Both 3rd party IP and Original."

Exactly. But, make them good.

"I'm couting since Obsidian's creation, obviously. Five IPs, against Bioware's four. In one of those IPs, Obsidian did 3 games very different in tone, basically covering the whole spectrum of the IE games. And in one year, Obsidian released three very different games, while Bioware released one game, its two sequels (one of them poorly received by fans) and another sequel."

So, you ignore history. That's beautiful. As for being 'recieved poorly' by fans.. that's not true for DA2 at all. Recieved poorly by SOME fans yet still not as poorly as some of Obsidian's games. Ha.

Ther eis very little diversity in Obsidian's portfolio. Hardly any at all.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

As for being 'recieved poorly' by fans.. that's not true for DA2 at all. Recieved poorly by SOME fans

It was recieved poorly by a lot of fans, it's just that lot of fans that liked it too.

You mean, all 112 of them? A hundred people with big mouth appear to have the weight of a million, huh?

Don't worry, Bioware won't get back to DA:O. DA2 was way better so they should build on that for DA3.

As for being 'recieved poorly' by fans.. that's not true for DA2 at all. Recieved poorly by SOME fans

It was recieved poorly by a lot of fans, it's just that lot of fans that liked it too.

You mean, all 112 of them? A hundred people with big mouth appear to have the weight of a million, huh?

Don't worry, Bioware won't get back to DA:O. DA2 was way better so they should build on that for DA3.

:lol:

Good joke.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

This is a pretty old story but are System Shock series/Deus Ex are shooters?

The problem about continuing story-focused RPG is that story-telling part of FPS is getting better, enhanced with the technology grown up with movie industry. Most PC only RPG went for online games, where story is not important. I keep an eye on Dead State by Double Bear but Obsidian is too big for such game. Wondering if Obsidian is working on web-based and/or portable computer project.

This is a pretty old story but are System Shock series/Deus Ex are shooters?

The problem about continuing story-focused RPG is that story-telling part of FPS is getting better, enhanced with the technology grown up with movie industry. Most PC only RPG went for online games, where story is not important. I keep an eye on Dead State by Double Bear but Obsidian is too big for such game. Wondering if Obsidian is working on web-based and/or portable computer project.

Oh yeah, CoD XII: Modernest Medal of Warfare has such a good story compared to Planescape Torment.

Actually, I agree with your point. I simply omitted my reasoning behind my previous post.

The reason why I cannot really count on major reviews on stories is that I know I cannot agree with reviewers about that aspect.

Even in recent memory, off the top of my head, I see quite many reviewers couldn't even see how Witcher 2 plots are made and just summed up with "half-cut" story. I don't say that they are lying but they don't seem to be capable of analyzing how the plots are formed. Likewise, in the review of DSIII Gamespot, the reviewers don't seem to be able to discern if it is the presentation or story itself, which he finds "weak." Indeed, I have quite strong impression that most of them won't read many books.

Unfortunately, gamers in general, too. So, the choice for story-focused game would be whether going for a movie-like experience or a format composed of text (as Dead State appears to be writing) for more smaller segment. Hence the conclusion above.