2 Controller Co-Op

Hi, so I'm a big fan of the way old playstation 1 and 2 hack and slash rpg's allowed 2 players to play on 1 screen and noticed DS3 was advertised as having this feature as well.

I was pretty excited to hear this, since the all most recent rpgs to have this feature are lego games :) its really not implemented very often any more.

The ability to play with a friend on a laptop I have to haul around everywhere anyway, seems awesome!

I already got a audio splitter for free with my speaker set, allowing me to hookup 2 quality headphones to the laptop.

I want to buy Dungeon Seige III for the PC (from steam) and use 2 gamepads to allow me and a friend to play, but I'd need to buy some gamepads to accomplish this, so I am hoping to get some advice on it first.

1. Does the 2 players on 1 PC co-op work well? I read here that there was a bug with multi-player for PC at release, but that it has been patched now, does it really work?
  2. Does it work with the steam version?
  3. Has anyone tried playing though the game in this mode yet? Did you like it?
  4. Is there enemy scaling, so that the enemies will become tougher in 2 co-op?
  5. Does any usb controller work? Like the Mad Catz Xbox 360 GamePad or the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad? Or are there some specific types to look out for?
  6. Does it work with any playstation controller adapter? like the PS PS2 USB Dual Controller to PC Adapter (not actually for sale in my country, but my cheapest bet, since I already have playstation controllers)
  7. What kind of gamepads would you advise me to buy?

Yea, thanks in advance for any answers, its much appreciated.

Edited by Zwets

Hi, so I'm a big fan of the way old playstation 1 and 2 hack and slash rpg's allowed 2 players to play on 1 screen and noticed DS3 was advertised as having this feature as well.

I was pretty excited to hear this, since the all most recent rpgs to have this feature are lego games >_< its really not implemented very often any more.

The ability to play with a friend on a laptop I have to haul around everywhere anyway, seems awesome!

I already got a audio splitter for free with my speaker set, allowing me to hookup 2 quality headphones to the laptop.

I want to buy Dungeon Seige III for the PC (from steam) and use 2 gamepads to allow me and a friend to play, but I'd need to buy some gamepads to accomplish this, so I am hoping to get some advice on it first.

1. Does the 2 players on 1 PC co-op work well? I read here that there was a bug with multi-player for PC at release, but that it has been patched now, does it really work?
  2. Does it work with the steam version?
  3. Has anyone tried playing though the game in this mode yet? Did you like it?
  4. Is there enemy scaling, so that the enemies will become tougher in 2 co-op?
  5. Does any usb controller work? Like the Mad Catz Xbox 360 GamePad or the Logitech Dual Action Gamepad? Or are there some specific types to look out for?
  6. Does it work with any playstation controller adapter? like the PS PS2 USB Dual Controller to PC Adapter (not actually for sale in my country, but my cheapest bet, since I already have playstation controllers)
  7. What kind of gamepads would you advise me to buy?

Yea, thanks in advance for any answers, its much appreciated.

It's worth noting that the progress of the second player is not saved, so if you're planning on a long term gaming session, make sure you have an independent save purely for co-op so any changes made to his/her character are stored without the risk of you selling equipment they wanted or adding abilities that they may not want when they're not playing.

Thanks for the replies, I'll try it with some PS3 controllers then, those are USB too if I recall correctly...

Also I was going to use a separate save for multiplayer anyway, just like for borderlands its a good idea to have separate characters for single and multiplayer since quests get bugged easily and permanently if you even get 1 objective while the other player is not there.

A quick word or warning to everyone, also interested in this:

THE SPEEDLINK STRIKE GAMEPAD IS NOT DETECTED BY DUNGEON SIEGE 3!

It does not work, even with the proper drivers installed, Dungeon Seige refuses to acknowledge the device with the buttons simply named 1 to 12 instead of emulating the output of PS3 or XBox controller buttons.

I think I'll go take the 2 I bought back to the store now.

Edited by Zwets

I personally have ran the game with two PS3 controllers, but simply just plugging a PS3 controller into your PC won't suffice. You need specific drivers and software to get them to work correctly. I'm using a program called Motioninjoy ( http://www.motioninjoy.com/ ), which has performed flawlessly for this purpose, since it can emulate the 360 gamepad, which makes jumping into a game designed with the gamepad in mind a quick and easy affair.

Edited by Nosmirc

I personally have ran the game with two PS3 controllers, but simply just plugging a PS3 controller into your PC won't suffice. You need specific drivers and software to get them to work correctly. I'm using a program called Motioninjoy ( http://www.motioninjoy.com/ ), which has performed flawlessly for this purpose, since it can emulate the 360 gamepad, which makes jumping into a game designed with the gamepad in mind a quick and easy affair.

I'm also using MotionInJoy and it's working great. Just install the drivers, then make sure you choose to emulate the 360 controller. Don't forget to click "Enable" the guy is a great programmer, but a terrible UI designer, what you have to do is sometimes not so clear.

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

You can use this emulator to get the controllers working.

Was using that emulator, it was detecting the game pad correctly, but DS3 was not loading the emulator DLL when it started, I even tried all 4 of the possible DLL naming conventions they list on their wiki.

I also tried all 3 of the hook modes it offers, no luck.

To late now, since I already traded the controllers in for a single 360 controller and that one works fine, it just cost 5 euro more than 2 of the cheaper gamepads cost together :ermm:

I also tested it with a PS3 controller I borrowed yesterday, and yea motion joy is what I needed to make it work.

[EDIT]

Every time the rumble function is supposed to do something the controller input freezes and I have to unplug it and put it back in order to get the game to accept input again.

Its really annoying.

I'm gonna try turning rumble off.

Edited by Zwets

Strange, it uses DLL for me without issues.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Fixed it, the input freezes where the fault of Motionjoy, that was still installed and interfering the the input the game was trying to send to the Xbox controller.

I de-installed it and now the rumble is not causing freezes, but it is also working.

Strange, it uses DLL for me without issues.

I'm using the steam version and placing the DLL in the same directory as the .exe for dungeon seige, cuz that is what it says to do on the wiki.

Yes, that's how it works for me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: