DS3 crashes on start-up

Daervon

Question

Ast he topic says, for me at least this game is completely unplayable.

When I select "Play", it shows the Square Enix and Obsidian logos, then promptly crashes to desktop.

I have tried:

-running it as administrator

-installing the game from the disc

-installing the game by downloading it through Steam

-installing Microsoft Virtual C++ (all 2005, 2008 and 2010 packages) directly

-installing DirectX

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 16gb DDR3, nVidia GTX480 with the latest drivers (275.33).

I have also tried verifying game cache through Steam and, as others have said, I keep getting "1 file could not be verified and was downloaded" -- though some times it shows as a 0mb download.

Really, really annoyed so any suggestions most welcome. :thumbsup:

D.

13 answers to this question

-one thing to try before others come up with more technical things is to go into the steam apps folder and copy the dungeon siege 3 folder somewhere safe (copy it to your desktop for instance)

-then delete the game from steam using the normal option from the right-click tool bar in steam.

-then move the folder back, that you moved somewhere safe earlier, into the steam apps folder.

-then install the game from steam again. should go through quite quickly because all the files are on the disk, in the correct place, already. and it might help it pick up what file is damaged.

Ast he topic says, for me at least this game is completely unplayable.

When I select "Play", it shows the Square Enix and Obsidian logos, then promptly crashes to desktop.

I have tried:

-running it as administrator

-installing the game from the disc

-installing the game by downloading it through Steam

-installing Microsoft Virtual C++ (all 2005, 2008 and 2010 packages) directly

-installing DirectX

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 16gb DDR3, nVidia GTX480 with the latest drivers (275.33).

I have also tried verifying game cache through Steam and, as others have said, I keep getting "1 file could not be verified and was downloaded" -- though some times it shows as a 0mb download.

Really, really annoyed so any suggestions most welcome. :)

D.

I have exactly the same problem, and I've tried the things you did, but no result. I'm pretty pissed.

J_C from Codexia

Got the same Problem but i dont see the logos but i get an 2 Errormessages

error1.jpg

error2.jpg

Steam also says on verifying files that 1 file couldnt be checked and it s redownloaded. (Done this 5 times already)

Also redownloaded the complete game Still getting the Error

btw is this the right support place or is there another Email or Website for support ?

Edited by Raisti

You can also try the DS3 forums at Steam, or Square Enix's customer support, but Obsid devs do read these forums time to time.

You should be able to inquire with Square Enix's support - in fact, seems like there's a link to start with, at least.

Posting at Steam forums simply means you might get someone else who has experienced your problem. I'm sure if the devs can help with this they will, but they can't do individual troubleshooting for every single person.

I managed to solve the problem (actually I found this on the steam forums):

This applies to Windows 7. Only minor differences exist for other Windows versions.

Close all applications

Go to Control Panel -> Region and Language

On Formats tab, set Format to English (United States) (don't change anything else)

On Location tab set Current location to United States

On Administrative tab in the Language for non-Unicode programs section, click the Change system locale button and in the new window again select English (United States)

Click OK and restart Windows when prompted

It works like a charm, but I hope the patch fixes this, so I can switch Windows back to my actual region.

J_C from Codexia

I have the same problem and I've tried with all the things mentioned above, to no avail.

I did notice however that when I bought the game today, it simply downloaded it plain and simple.

No patch or nothing was added afterwards.

//Tranzic

Is anyone working on these issues? I've read several posts about the same issues

but little (read no) reply from obsidian. Buying a game and immediately

encountering problems is pretty bad.

To spell it out once more:

Getting immidiate "Runtime error" when starting application from steam.

"This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way"

I've tried

1) Changed region to US

2) Repaired/Reinstalled directx

3) Repaired/Reinstalled the game itself

4) Updated the video drivers

5) Updated the sound drivers

6) Tried most (if not all) odd suggestions found in various threads.

This error occurs in dungeon siege III demo as well.

After a week of searching on other games/forums I ran across a post mentioning alienware computer and combination

with AlienFX and runtime error.

I've had my AlienFX in "dark" mode ever since I bought the computer (hence never updated it). Once I ran the update for

alienware "console" and rebooted the game worked. (Both in light and in dark mode).

No idea why, but Im pleased. Shame Obsidian didn't have any info about it though.