Just began playing the game on PC. Getting bugs.

Cyn!c

Question

Okay so I was super excited that my steam install was finished and ready to go. I started up the game and encountered a number of bugs. I will list them here:

1. The game crashed when toggling the vsync option
  2. I got an initial crash during the second Odo monologue. Just froze.
  3. Massive memory leaks are making the game unplayable at the moment

The third one is the worst. The game runs totally fine for the most part then suddenly, bam, I get hit by a massive FPS destroying memory leak. There seems to be no reason for the leak, at one point I just left the game running and then it suddenly fixed itself.

I experienced this during the demo, but after updating my ATI drivers, it didn't happen again. Sadly it's happening in the full game as well. Here are my PC specs:

Processor: Core i7 740QM

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

RAM: 8GB

When the game is not memory leaking it runs beautifully on all high settings even with AA on. When it is memory leaking it is unplayable and game breaking. I'm really disappointed by this, I was looking forward to the first weekend of playing through the game but it's not happening right now. Hope there is some sort of reason for these problems and they can be fixed.

Okay, that didn't do anything. I don't understand what is going on and I'm raging in the extreme right now. The FPS is choppy even on the title screen now where it was smooth before. The arrow moving through menus is extremely slow, and the frame rate in the game is just rubbish. Rebooting is doing nothing. Another thing I am noticing is that Windows says "Windows has activated the default color scheme" whenever the game launches. Ok, rage quitting now.

Edited by Cyn!c

Okay, that didn't do anything. I don't understand what is going on and I'm raging in the extreme right now. The FPS is choppy even on the title screen now where it was smooth before. The arrow moving through menus is extremely slow, and the frame rate in the game is just rubbish. Rebooting is doing nothing. Another thing I am noticing is that Windows says "Windows has activated the default color scheme" whenever the game launches. Ok, rage quitting now.

Cyn!c, I can't really help you but try to go on the Steam forums for the game, that's where the devs went the first time to collect bugs, and perhaps there will be more people with your issues, since you're apparently an isolated case here.

what i would do in your place cynic is to turn off everything in the game.

set to 640x480 res.

turn off vsync

turn off aa and af

turn off full screen mode aswell. play in window.

see if that works, and then increase the resolution slowly until it gets choppy.

once it gets choppy, go back down 1 resolution setting and then start turning up shader quality etc.

if the game is still choppy at 64x480 with everything off or low, in a window then the game just doesnt like your mobility with the 11.6 drivers. you might need to come back down to 11.4 or lower and try.

or youve got something else nasty on your system. like daemon tools running or something.

Okay I have a feeling that 11_6 is not correct for my card. All other games are running badly now too. The problem is I updated via windows to the new driver, but perhaps I shouldn't have done this. When I download the Catalyst Mobility Software Suite, it prompts to download 11_5 not 11_6. Why this is the case, I have no idea...but I will download it and install it. I tried to roll back the driver through windows, but it had some weird results. I'm so confused by all this, and to be honest I blame ATI for their horrible installation/update process. How hard is it to just make these things simple?

You have card A? then here, download this SINGLE file and it will do everything for you.

Is that so hard? Pretty much ever other piece of hardware with drivers does this.

I will just say, that dragon age origins, da2 (although I hardly played it) and ME2 all work well at high settings on my laptop. Little to no frame rate issues, while NWN2, which I love, struggles on max and that is an 07 game. Again it seems the shadows are just a huge hog on ATI cards. I don't know why it's so hard for Obsidian to do shadows that don't destroy frame rates so much. I've heard NVIDIA cards handle them better though.

'Mobility', does that mean that you have a laptop?

Yes.

To re-iterate my previous post : have you tried downloading the drivers put out by the laptop's publisher? I know mine doesn't like ATI's driver.

It's a Dell Studio XPS 1645...the latest driver they have on their page was released in February 2010. Good stuff Dell!

Edited by Cyn!c

not as bad as toshiba. toshiba block official ati drivers from working on all of their laptops. and toshiba are even slower to update then dell.

so without hacked drivers you couldnt even run 11.5 on a tosh lappy.

however you have a dell and those arent blocked (if they were you wouldnt have even been able to install them) so i highly doubt its because the drivers are incompatible with your chipset.

just might be incompatible with some games.

anyway, you could use drivercleaner to get rid of all previous ati installs and start again with a fresh set of drivers downloaded from ATI's own website (dont use windows to update that could be the reason why it aint working right)

also using the installer itself gives an option to uninstall previous drivers. try that and reboot after uninstalling - then install downloaded 11.5 drivers from ati website.

i thik youve got windows 7 64bit? (latest listed for me on there is 11.6)

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/wind...ob_win7-64.aspx

you want to go to the individual downloads tab and download the 80meg catalyst control center.

Edited by brandysnap

I think installing the driver through Windows was causing some problems. I've since uninimstalled all ATI stuff an reinstalled 11-5, I'm going to do the same for a fresh 11-6 install now and see how it goes. What I find strange is that the game seemed to run better with the 8.3 drivers, but then got memory leaks (which were happening before I tried updating any drivers). Perhaps there has been some sort of driver conflict lurking in there. I'm growing to hate ATI, among this crap was a bug that prevents their control center from launching in Windows 7. It's a known bug and has been happening since the OS was released, but short of deleting assembly tokens, there is NO solution available for this. I've deleted the tokens and got it working again but that is really poor effort from a tech company at this level.

Alright, after much pain and suffering, I've fixed everything driver wise and while I haven't confirmed that the memory leaks are completely fixed, I have a feeling it will be okay now. I squarely blame ATI for my problems so far, and I think there will be others who could get these issues due to their overly complex driver updating process. Not to mention that their site has WRONG links and files on it.

I'm going to write a guide as to what I did here. Mods you might want to sticky this just in case anyone else has the same issue.

First off I will post my specs again:

Processor: Core i7 740QM

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

RAM: 8GB

The main problem is that the AMD website provides a number of download options for their various products. It could never be as simple as, here is your driver - download it could it? Anyway just forget about going to their site at all, it didn't help me in the slightest. Their software suite prompted to download the incorrect file, and the CCC download on their page did not include the display driver for 11.6 (you'll notice the file it links to does not have "dd" in its name).

So I followed the guide here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/mobility-rad...-06-2011-a.html

but I downloaded the driver from here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=346152 because it was much faster. Make sure you get the MOBILITY driver if you're on a laptop.

I've just done all of this, and booted the game and voila, beautiful smooth frame rates. I'll play more later on today to confirm if the memory leaks are happening or not. >_<

Edited by Cyn!c