Just began playing the game on PC. Getting bugs.

Cyn!c

Question

Okay so I was super excited that my steam install was finished and ready to go. I started up the game and encountered a number of bugs. I will list them here:

1. The game crashed when toggling the vsync option
  2. I got an initial crash during the second Odo monologue. Just froze.
  3. Massive memory leaks are making the game unplayable at the moment

The third one is the worst. The game runs totally fine for the most part then suddenly, bam, I get hit by a massive FPS destroying memory leak. There seems to be no reason for the leak, at one point I just left the game running and then it suddenly fixed itself.

I experienced this during the demo, but after updating my ATI drivers, it didn't happen again. Sadly it's happening in the full game as well. Here are my PC specs:

Processor: Core i7 740QM

Graphics: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

RAM: 8GB

When the game is not memory leaking it runs beautifully on all high settings even with AA on. When it is memory leaking it is unplayable and game breaking. I'm really disappointed by this, I was looking forward to the first weekend of playing through the game but it's not happening right now. Hope there is some sort of reason for these problems and they can be fixed.

I wonder if that's ATI related.

Try reinstalling the drivers.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Hmm but it did happen before I installed the latest drivers. CCC 11.5 is what I am using now. The game DID run slightly better afterwards. Oh I just saw that 11.6 has just been released...I'll try it out.

im getting a sense of deja vu here.

didnt you post about this the other day and then said you solved it by upgrading your drivers to 11.5?

well, 11.6 is out now. possibly try them?

Running fine with my 11.6s drivers, I have yet to have my first crash and I have been playing since yesterday,the next person that says could be ATI related I'll shoot them ; ),its not like DS3 cannot have bugs or is the perfect game.

Anything overclocked or running in the background that could interfere with game?...Laptops need good cooling so make sure its not overheating.

Edited by Mem

Got the game(DSIII nordic edition) and installed it today, could play for 3 to 5 min then the game crashed(the game has stopped workin). My setup is: Intel i7 980X, Asus GTX 580, Patriot PVT36G1600LLK(6 gb), 1 Intel 320 160 gb ssd, 1 WD VelociRaptor(2,5) 600 gb, 1 Aopen blu-ray player, Asus Rampage III Formula, Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ1on PCIe, Windows 7 64 bit Home Prem sp1 with latest drivers installed.

Edited by seville57

275.33 are the latest nvidia drivers, are those the ones youve got installed?

Yes I have the Nvidia drivers 275.33 installed.

Could it be that it is your sound card?

Have the latest drivers from Creative. Update: I have just start the the game again and it crashed on the same place as it did before I has playin the game. Right on the same place.

Edited by seville57

have you tried lowering all the graphics options down to the lowest settings?

also what is a asus rampage III formula?

failing that youll have to post a dxdiag for the devs to look at. a list of running programs might help aswell. things like kaspersky internet security can cause problems sometimes.

failing that youll have to post a dxdiag for the devs to look at. a list of running programs might help aswell. things like kaspersky internet security can cause problems sometimes.

No I have not tried lowering all the graphics options down to the lowest settings yet, I gonna try tomorrow. Asus Rampage III Formula(Republic Of Gamers = ROG) is a motherboard for the Intel 1366 CPU socket. I usin Eset nod 32 antivirus and the most games I had installed had never a problem with nod 32 but you never should say never.

Edited by seville57

[*]The game crashed when toggling the vsync option

That happened to me once in the demo. Only once tho...I went back in tested it, turning it on and off again, and no crash. Weird.

Darnit, I want the game. I can't test/participate in anything until I can play. *cries about different release dates some more* :sorcerer:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

im getting a sense of deja vu here.

didnt you post about this the other day and then said you solved it by upgrading your drivers to 11.5?

well, 11.6 is out now. possibly try them?

I've just updated to 11.6 however, I am noticing something strange. When I installed CCC 11.6 everything went ahead fine, but if I look up the display adapter in Windows, it says the driver version is 8.831.2.0 and the driver date is 08/03/2011. When I read the release notes though it says the driver version should be AMD display driver version 8.861.

The file which I've downloaded and installed is 11-6_mobility_vista_win7_32-64_ccc.exe

Is there something I've done wrong?

Alright, I've managed to update the driver it seems. Now, I don't know why, I always thought the CCC would come packaged with the latest driver and would install it when it gets updated. Apparently not so. So I went to the device manager and updated the driver there through Windows. I now have v 8.6 so I will try the game again now.

I don't know why, but my Catalyst Control Center will not boot either. I've read that this is a common problem on Windows 7. The fixes I read online seemed too long for me to bother with now so I'm just going to see how the game runs with this new driver. Will report back.

Okay, haven't experienced the bug so extremely since installing the new driver, however...there still does seem to be memory leaks happening. If things get bad, I reboot the game and everything is fine for 30 mins or so, then frame rates dip again.

I've also noticed a stuttering sound bug in Ravens Rill. I think some others pointed this out.

Alright, the bug is still present and is rendering the game next to unplayable for me at the moment. I have to quit and reboot every 20 minutes. As you can imagine, I am pretty pissed.

What I have been noticing:

1. Accessing the inventory seemed to cause the memory leak to happen more often
  2. The stuttering audio and frame rate seem to be related somehow
  3. Lowering the graphics doesn't seem to help at all, the leak occurs no matter what
  4. Rebooting the game itself doesn't really help, I actually need to reboot Steam entirely

Once again I will list my specs:

Processor: Core i7 740QM

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 5730 1GB (driver version 8.692.1.0)

RAM: 8GB

-what sort of background tasks have you got running?

-give us a dxdiag so the devs can see whats what.

-at the extreme you can get programs to list ever single process thats running on your system. (theres usually about 50 or so in task manager when you look)

something is causing it because the game doesnt crash with 11.6 on my 4890, nor does it on my new 275.33 gtx 560ti.

-at the extreme you can get programs to list ever single process thats running on your system. (theres usually about 50 or so in task manager when you look)

something is causing it because the game doesnt crash with 11.6 on my 4890, nor does it on my new 275.33 gtx 560ti.

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a dxdiag file. I'm not running any heavy stuff while playing the game at all. Perhaps the heaviest thing that's running is my Anti Virus, which is McAfee.

Cynic_DxDiag.txt

Edited by Cyn!c

Thanks for the reply. I've attached a dxdiag file. I'm not running any heavy stuff while playing the game at all. Perhaps the heaviest thing that's running is my Anti Virus, which is McAfee.

one thing to try - try turning off mcafee completely. not just using a pause until i say so command, or whatever mcafee uses for the same thing. i mean exit out of the program completely and then see if any mcafee processes are still running and force quit them.

edit - also, what is E: on your system? it lists it as a cd drive, but you cant have 2 dvd/cd drives in a laptop. is it a daemon tools virtual drive or something?

Edited by brandysnap

I don't know if I'M doin rihgt but I got dxdiag and tryin to uploaded it right now.

DxDiag.txt

one thing to try - try turning off mcafee completely. not just using a pause until i say so command, or whatever mcafee uses for the same thing. i mean exit out of the program completely and then see if any mcafee processes are still running and force quit them.

edit - also, what is E: on your system? it lists it as a cd drive, but you cant have 2 dvd/cd drives in a laptop. is it a daemon tools virtual drive or something?

Yeah, okay now there is something really strange going on. I can't get the game to run smooth, AT ALL anymore. No matter what I do, the frame rate is stuck low. I can't really understand this. I've just gone to the game cache in Steam and defragged it. Let's see if this does anything.

Edited by Cyn!c