Faction mechanic

I was wondering, since Obsidian did such a fantastic job with Fallout New Vegas(minus the bugs) regarding the variety and relevancy of quests, not artificially constricting gameworld pathways and incredible faction system which really raised the bar for all games and brought a whole new level of immersion into the gameworld, how come you haven't implemented such detailed faction mechanic and character's influence in DS3?

Was it a matter of simply not having enough time to do it?

I was wondering, since Obsidian did such a fantastic job with Fallout New Vegas(minus the bugs) regarding the variety and relevancy of quests, not artificially constricting gameworld pathways and incredible faction system which really raised the bar for all games and brought a whole new level of immersion into the gameworld, how come you haven't implemented such detailed faction mechanic and character's influence in DS3?

Was it a matter of simply not having enough time to do it?

New Vegas focused on that though. DSIII didn't. Theres still several fleshed out factions you come across in this game. But its not that you can join them as you represent your own faction in the game. You still interact with them in multiple ways though.

Edited by C2B

Yes, but being the leader of your own faction doesn't necessarily mean you are restricted in any way, only not being able to ally with the single nemesis/faction of the main story line.

I haven't played that much yet but I would like to be able to overthrow the anachronistic Queen of the Royalists and institute a republic like Stonebridge, is that for example possible?

P.S.

Why do developers keep thinking that showing huge boobs on scantily clad female characters is enticing and interesting, that is one of the reasons I will not play any female characters because it is too immersion breaking...and do really any male gamers play as females, doesn't that throw the RPG aspect right out the window?

Edited by metamag

Yes, but being the leader of your own faction doesn't necessarily mean you are restricted in any way, only not being able to ally with the single nemesis/faction of the main story line.

I haven't played that much yet but I would like to be able to overthrow the anachronistic Queen of the Royalists and institute a republic like Stonebridge, is that for example possible?

P.S.

Why do developers keep thinking that showing huge boobs on scantily clad female characters is enticing and interesting, that is one of the reasons I will not play any female characters because it is too immersion breaking...and do really any male gamers play as females, doesn't that throw the RPG aspect right out the window?

1. You can "ally" with everyone as part of the main quest.

2. No, and this also isn't possible in NV. That would be actually be pretty big for any rpg and would require a lot if done right (though you actually have a lot of influence in that regard regarding the Legion itself). Also Stonebridge is quite possible worse than the royals and have done worse things.

3. No answer. Sorry. Not gonna open that can of worms. Apart from that though. Females are well represented in the game.

Edited by C2B

That's too bad, I just thought it silly that a 17 year old girl is a leader of a state and that you could implement a republic democracy like in Stonebridge.

That would have been really nice and not at all demanding, I don't see where would these huge resource consuming barriers you are talking about be, it would just involve a few more subquests and dialog options.

That's too bad, I just thought it silly that a 17 year old girl is a leader of a state and that you could implement a republic democracy like in Stonebridge.

That would have been really nice and not at all demanding, I don't see where would these huge resource consuming barriers you are talking about be, it would just involve a few more subquests and dialog options.

There have been younger leaders in real world history. Also she is actually a pretty good one.

Also "it would just". No it wouldn't "just". It would demand a huge focus on the design and writing part of the game to get it right. Otherwise it would be a halfassed, illogical addition.

You are forgetting how Bioware economically and efficiently handles this in Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, especially the decisions you made in one game that follow into another.

Perhaps you meant something different..

I've just had mention of the young queen now in the game with meeting the royalists. Despite what some people might think, it's not actually that odd for young teenagers/people to be forced into a position of leadership in the medieval/renaissance periods. Obviously, they might have someone else mind the throne until a certain age, but the age wasn't exactly very high. This probably occured in the Victorian era as well, but I'm not a 100% sure on that front.

You are forgetting how Bioware economically and efficiently handles this in Mass Effect and Dragon Age series, especially the decisions you made in one game that follow into another.

There would be many who would disagree here.

But this is another discussion.

Also none of Biowares decisions actually have that big a consequence you seem to want. Closest would be DA:O.

Edited by C2B

Dragon Age 2 disagrees. Lots of bugs involving it etc.. And in Mass Effect most of it was handled by email...

The amount of different scenarios you have to consider when you do that is just massive. I don't think game developers should even bother with this currently.

Hate the living, love the dead.

P.S.

I play as females, especially in DS3. They play completely differently to the male classes. I also think that the cleavage-revealing female attire is a well established fashion of the fantasy genre.

You're an army of 4 men and already trying to overthrow an army?

Give it some time; they hint something like that at the end as DLC

Edited by Chasted