Early Impressions Thread

Avatar of Ultimate Virtue is another one you get for refusing all rewards in Ravens Rill.

Ooh, that's interesting. What does it give? My bro and I were suspecting something like that when the quest givers seem to hint that they are not willing to part with their gold rewards.

Avatar of Ultimate Virtue is another one you get for refusing all rewards in Ravens Rill.

Ooh, that's interesting. What does it give? My bro and I were suspecting something like that when the quest givers seem to hint that they are not willing to part with their gold rewards.

+5 Will. So pretty big actually.

Edited by C2B

Yeah. Its also a challenge trying for figure how to get them. Is there any non-storyline ones you found so far? I'm only at the mansion and I got two so far. One from the door with +2 to one stat and another for "voting with one voice" in co-op with +1 to Will.

Found a lore deed for gathering lore entries and a deed earned because of how I handled the villagers in Rill when doing quests and I've got one for earning Anjali's trust.

Also, the deed I got for solving the password problem with the talking door was Solver of Cipers, +2 agility. I also gained one at the end of the Gunderic quest.

You also gain at least 1 deed for completing side-quests. So far, those are the ones that don't pertain to the main story (deeds that you theoretically miss). With story deeds included, I've got 7 deeds total.

So far, I'm level 13 and haven't played more yet since gaining Katarina, my second companion. Current game time is 5 hours and 57 minutes, not counting restarts.

Edit: The deed C2B mentioned about the villagers of Rill is the one I got, Avatar of Virtue. I was trying to avoid being specific, in case people want to discover the deeds on their own. :(

Edited by Dan_CW

+5 Will. So pretty big actually.

WHAT???? :(

Shouldn't have taken the gold....

Yeah. Its also a challenge trying for figure how to get them. Is there any non-storyline ones you found so far? I'm only at the mansion and I got two so far. One from the door with +2 to one stat and another for "voting with one voice" in co-op with +1 to Will.

Found a lore deed for gathering lore entries and a deed earned because of how I handled the villagers in Rill when doing quests and I've got one for earning Anjali's trust.

Also, the deed I got for solving the password problem with the talking door was Solver of Cipers, +2 agility. I also gained one at the end of the Gunderic quest.

You also gain at least 1 deed for completing side-quests. So far, those are the ones that don't pertain to the main story (deeds that you theoretically miss). With story deeds included, I've got 7 deeds total.

So far, I'm level 13 and haven't played more yet since gaining Katarina, my second companion. Current game time is 5 hours and 57 minutes.

I think you can actually NOT do the Gunderic Mansion if you want. So the deeds in there are actually also Non-Story Deeds.

So far, I'm level 13 and haven't played more yet since gaining Katarina, my second companion. Current game time is 5 hours and 57 minutes.

I think you can actually NOT do the Gunderic Mansion if you want. So the deeds in there are actually also Non-Story Deeds.

That's correct. The story quests are a different colour in the quest panel. It's interesting really, because I can see there being some consequences later on from the Gunderic Mansion quest. Interesting because it's not a main story quest, so it's not just the story quests that have choices.

Quick question - does anyone know what determines the first companion you get? Playing as Katarina and got

Anjali

, but am wondering if that's set in stone or not. Also hoping we can ditch companions later if we want to, if they're forced it would suck.

Very fun so far, and difficult on Hardcore. Have this weird graphics bug where I get a big bar of black pixels on the top right from time to time, but not a huge deal at the moment.

That's correct. The story quests are a different colour in the quest panel. It's interesting really, because I can see there being some consequences later on from the Gunderic Mansion quest. Interesting because it's not a main story quest, so it's not just the story quests that have choices.

Can you guys post all of these in the deeds thread so we can get a compile going?

I don't think the Gunderic Mansion (and the Sidequests in General) have much Consequences aside from the Endslides. How you handle Rajani on the other hand could even have bigger Alpha Protocol Style Consequences though from what I've seen in a stream.

Edited by C2B

Quick question - does anyone know what determines the first companion you get? Playing as Katarina and got

Anjali

, but am wondering if that's set in stone or not. Also hoping we can ditch companions later if we want to, if they're forced it would suck.

Very fun so far, and difficult on Hardcore. Have this weird graphics bug where I get a big bar of black pixels on the top right from time to time, but not a huge deal at the moment.

I think the only time that'll change is if you play as Anjali. The order in which you get the other characters should also change based on what character you choose. But that should be all that determines it.

Edit: Regarding ditching companions, I'm not sure on that. But when I ran into Katarina before she joined me, I did have an option to say join me or I don't trust you. so, it may be possible to reject companions. I'll see if I have a save just before she joined.

Okay, I was wrong on that. Was playing at like 1am, hence the confusion. :( The 'don't trust' choice was actually 'don't make me regret this', so you can't choose to not have her along it seems.

Edited by Dan_CW

Wow. Level 5 Kat & Anjali in the

Shadowrift Cavern

fighting the big

spider

. Insanely hard. In fact, pretty much impossible to defeat.

Shadowrift Cavern

fighting the big

spider

I had a tough job with that fight myself. I went away a while and completed a main quest before returning. I don't think I needed to though because out why I wasn't making much of a dent in it's health bar and how to whittle it down. :(

I think I was level 6 - 8 when I tackled it.

Finally reached Gunderic mansion. Have done all the quests so far. Died once when I wasn't careful. Other than that I haven't had any real trouble. Reinhart is fun as hell to play as. I'm tanking with him and Anjali uses her fire form. More impressions later.

Here's a short video I made playing with Lucas on normal difficulty.

I've switched to Anjali and abandoned Lucas since he was way too easy to play and kinda boring. I also switched up the difficulty to Hardcore. The result is that my companion (Lucas) dies all the time and every harder encounter is massive dodge-fest where I get one or two shots off between dodges and it takes forever to kill any of the bosses.

Edited by trulez

Shadowrift Cavern

fighting the big

spider

Seriously? I'm level 10 now on normal with Lucas and haven't died once, defeated spider, that boss in Hero's Crypt, Gunderic and not even got close to dieing due to all the dodging, blocking, looking for boss attacks, and switching to appropriate weapons when more enemies appear.

You just have to play carefully and remember that too much random panicky clicking hurts you.

Hardcore. Normal is a walkover.

I'm also thinking I haven't figured out something about that boss, too busy running away. Went away for now and am fighting

Rajani

back at Raven's Rill, died twice but should be doable.

At this point, I'm inclined to agree that it's Lucas' appearance that doesn't change much or doesn't appear to. It could just be I've been unlucky or haven't equipped enough different armor, but I doubt that.

I'm going to suppose that Lucas is suffering from 'Early Character Syndrome', also known to me as 'Hunter Syndrome' (from the 2008's Prince of Persia) : he's the first character that was implemented, they focused the basics on him and some of the refinements were lost on him.

2) Katarina definitely plays very differently from Lucas or Anjali. Feels more like a sniper where you pick your targets, as opposed to Lucas where you can mostly swing about in the fray.

Compared to Lucas, even the way her attack damage works is very different! Lucas does similar damage to individuals in his two stances, while Katarina's guns do squat in term of damage when compared to her rifle!

Compared to Lucas, even the way her attack damage works is very different! Lucas does similar damage to individuals in his two stances, while Katarina's guns do squat in term of damage when compared to her rifle!

Actually as soon as you get the constables handcannon they are actually stronger than your rifle stance for a while. The rifles main advantage is heartbreaking shoot which does imense damage.

I do want to note that while there is plenty of loot be found, I've not found one piece of different looking armor yet. I know this is because the items all have the same name so far, such as 'tassets of' or 'hauberk of' and that there'll be different armor appearances later as I get further in the game (I'm level 6 or 7 at the moment I think), I thought it was worth mentioning.

I have seen differing armour and clothing, and not just by colour. Anjali had one chestpice that actually covered her entire left arm in metal instead of just part of it.

I'm not sure how much of a variety there actually is but there are some variances at least.

My first impressions?

It's a good game, not great, but good. I had a quick play with all the characters before settling with one as a main for now. They all feel very different to play despite some similarity in some of their skills. The graphics aren't too bad either, though I didn't find their much noticeable difference between some of the higher graphical settings. The anti aliasing issue definitely needs fixing for AMD GPU users because the in game anti aliasing doesn't really seem effective. I just turn it off and it makes no difference except in the FPS gain.

I think character textures could have been a little sharper, I think perhaps some sort of advanced graphics pack for PC users would be a nice present one day (wink wink Obsidian) because while it doesn't look bad I think Obsidian could make it look better.

One thing that does slightly annoy me is the characters pausing after doing a combat dodge. I feel it takes a little fuidity out of the combat.

Good game though. Decent story aswell so far though Anjalis voice acting leaves a little to be desired. The rest isn't bad though at all.

So far I'd give it an 8/10 though I have a long way to go yet.

Edited by Unreal Warfare

There's plenty of different looking stuff. Only played 2-3 hours and changed Katarina's looks multiple times.

The single most important thing about this game is that the combat is fun. It's very fun. And once you actually play the game instead of talk about it, that's the thing that rises to the surface.

There's plenty of different looking stuff. Only played 2-3 hours and changed Katarina's looks multiple times.

The single most important thing about this game is that the combat is fun. It's very fun. And once you actually play the game instead of talk about it, that's the thing that rises to the surface.

I