Early Impressions Thread

Firstly, I got the game yesterday, which I was surprised about as I normally get games one day early on thursdays via the post (In the UK here). In any case, with the other parts of the forum not being open yet, it's alright to post this here I assume?

Regardless, I'm about 3 - 4 hours in by my guess on the PS3. No bugs or technical issues, though I have noticed that after opening a menu and closing it, your character can be a bit reluctant to move for like a second or two. That is the only minor issue I have and it is indeed very minor. So, from someone who never had problems with Alpha Protocol but did with Fallout: New Vegas on the technical front (enjoyed both, but did stop New Vegas due to the technical issues a week or two after release), I reckon Obsidian have done a great job here. I don't know whether it's down to using their own engine or due to extra testing, but it doesn't matter.

Now, I'm about to go searching for a key to the Causeway. I'm not sure if that means I'm about to enter the second major area of the game but I'm assuming I'm still in the first act/big area as I've yet to complete the first over-arching goal. The game controls well in my mind and I'm playing as Lucas. I've got my first companion, Anjali, and her AI is competent. However, I did note on the boss fight I ran into in the Gunderic quest, that she was a bit reluctant to ressurect me at times. As I'm playing on hardcore, it lead to quite a few reloads. Still, the AI does hold its own and I like the synergy between the skills and how if Anjali uses her fire aura ability, you can move into it and heal. As I'm playing as Lucas, it's quite useful. Also, on hardcore difficulty, you really do need to make use of block and dodge to good effect. I found the enemy casters quite challenging as well. Overall, I find the combat fun.

On the writing and story front (and keep in mind I'm a writer myself, though not for games), I find it to be up to Obsidian's usual standards. Gunderic's Manor being the highlight so far, with the lore entries and such. The story itself hasn't really got going yet though. In addition, I think I just encountered my first instance of choice and consequence, because I had to make a choice during the Gunderic quest. I was told what I did could have consequences later by Anjali. Obviously, I cannot verify what may happen later due to what I did, but I think it does highlight that the game does have choice and consequence even if it's not as fully fleshed out as in something like Alpha Protocol (I really enjoyed the choice and consequence system there).

Now, my issues? Keep in mind that I could care less about co-op. I play games for the story and singleplayer, though I do hop online in games such as FPS' and Little Big Planet on odd occasions. So, I'm not going to comment on that but I do want to note that while there is plenty of loot be found, I've not found one piece of different looking armor yet. I know this is because the items all have the same name so far, such as 'tassets of' or 'hauberk of' and that there'll be different armor appearances later as I get further in the game (I'm level 6 or 7 at the moment I think), I thought it was worth mentioning. Weapons have changed though and shields may have, but I've not paid much attention to that. So really, as one of the joys of hack and slash games (for me anyway) is getting better gear and seeing your character evolve appearance wise is one of the joys, I thought I'd mention that. While I'm mentioning loot as well, the loot is colour coded for those who've not played the demo. I've ran into white, green and blue so far. I hear there's a gold or orange rarity above them (I've seen one in the shops though). Also, characters can only equip items of a certain type, but you won't have to worry about searching through items your character can't equip as they don't appear when equipping the character.

Also, for people wondering, I have played Dungeon Siege 1 and Dungeon Siege 2. I never played them much however, but that's not because I didn't enjoy them. I did and found the second game to be better as you could go back and farm enemies (that reminds me, enemies do respawn in this game but chests don't seem to, alongside bosses). For people complaining about the game, the game does have what's important in a Dungeon Siege game, which is the loot (minus what I mentioned about a lack of appearance changing items so far armor wise). In other areas, it's best to class the game as something else if you're a stickler for the game being what is essentially a carbon copy of the previous games with added features. In other words, treat it as a different game but one that's set in the same world as the previous titles. If you can divorce yourself from thinking about it's different from previous titles, then you should enjoy the game as it's solid in my view. Not absolutely amazing, but solid for what it is. Keep in mind that this may not apply to PC gamers though (due to possible control issues) as I've not tried the demo on the PC due to my PC essentially being out of commission right now.

Hope this helps and I may back to answer questions later. Feel free to post your impressions as well.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when browsing items and equipping, it clearly shows what statistics are being lowered and raised. However, there are no tooltips explaining what the statistics do. Instead, you'll need to press start and view the help topics. Also, the statistic system employed is essentially the same as those employed by MMORPGS. So, if you have 5 armor and it mitigates 30% of the damage you receive at level 1, you'll find that if your armor rating is still 5 at level 4, your armor will mitigate something like 10 - 15%. That reminds me as well, if any Obsidian dev sees this, it might be worth implementing a feature where we can see how much damage our current armor rating allows us to absorb.

Edited by Dan_CW

Thanks. Really fine impressions. :p

Now, I'm about to go searching for a key to the Causeway. I'm not sure if that means I'm about to enter the second major area of the game but I'm assuming I'm still in the first act/big area as I've yet to complete the first over-arching goal.

If I understood an earlier post of Nathaniel correctly, not at all. You enter Act 2 when you are given the choice of completing two major plot areas in whichever order you want.

I've not found one piece of different looking armor yet. I know this is because the items all have the same name so far, such as 'tassets of' or 'hauberk of' and that there'll be different armor appearances later as I get further in the game (I'm level 6 or 7 at the moment I think)

Weird. You should have at least found armor that varied in color.

One thing that's been bugging me - how is the randomness of gear bonuses? In the demo I've noticed that gear for certain classes tends to have certain bonuses (for example Anjali gets more agility bonuses on armors, while Lucas gets more defensive). Is it possible to make builds arround gear, too (for example if I wanted to make Lucas with lots of gear with "Doom") or do the characters have a preset "orientation" (i.e. when you pick the character you pick the playstyle)?

Thanks. Really fine impressions. :p

Now, I'm about to go searching for a key to the Causeway. I'm not sure if that means I'm about to enter the second major area of the game but I'm assuming I'm still in the first act/big area as I've yet to complete the first over-arching goal.

If I understood an earlier post of Nathaniel correctly, not at all. You enter Act 2 when you are given the choice of completing two major plot areas in whichever order you want.

I've not found one piece of different looking armor yet. I know this is because the items all have the same name so far, such as 'tassets of' or 'hauberk of' and that there'll be different armor appearances later as I get further in the game (I'm level 6 or 7 at the moment I think)

Weird. You should have at least found armor that varied in color.

Thanks for the clarification on the act 2 thing.

I've just popped the game back on now and checked the gear colours. I swapped Anjali's blue rarity breastplate for a white rarity one and I did notice a colour change. Still, no luck in the Lucas department though so far. Granted, it could just be I haven't noticed it with only just noticing the colour change for Anjali now.

One thing that's been bugging me - how is the randomness of gear bonuses? In the demo I've noticed that gear for certain classes tends to have certain bonuses (for example Anjali gets more agility bonuses on armors, while Lucas gets more defensive). Is it possible to make builds arround gear, too (for example if I wanted to make Lucas with lots of gear with "Doom") or do the characters have a preset "orientation" (i.e. when you pick the character you pick the playstyle)?

Hey Sab,

I've found that, with Lucas at least as he's who I've found the most gear for, I'll lose stats in one area while gaining stats in another area quite a few times. So, it's a trade-off and I imagine it's quite possible. For instance, even though I use the offensive stance (two handed weapon) quite often, I've not stocked up on agility as much as I perhaps should. However, I do have agility items in my inventory should I wish to equip them for Lucas.

Regarding the 'doom' stat, amongst others, I've not found a tonne of stuff yet with it on in terms of armor (none with doom anyway). If I'm correct and my memory isn't fuzzy, I've found armor pieces with momentum, retribution and warding on for Lucas. I've often found that, like with the ordinary statistics such as stamina and attack, I'd have to lose some stats in warding if I wanted to use a piece with momentum on as an example.

So again, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I did read a review, preview or impressions post somewhere as well that someone had stacked Anjali with life-leech gear (though granted, that seems to suit her character quite fine and matches how I'm building her so far in terms of health regeneration capabilities.) This was towards the end of the game as well, so the person did say she was quite hard to kill.

(On another note, while it may be minor, I do have one other gripe. There's a lack of a map system with you needing to rely on bread crumb trails and the mini-map, but as chests don't seem to respawn, that gripe is somewhat lessened because there's no real need to go back to a dungeon to farm chests that have valuable loot. Keep in mind that I've not unlocked the Causeways/a fast travel option yet either, so I may be able to travel to a lot of different locations instantly later.)

Edited by Dan_CW

following this thread i just called my retail store and they said they have the game for PC already.

on one hand im mad that they didnt call me to tell me they have it since i have told them to do so (and usually they follow these kinda stuff) but more than that im just happy i can hop over there and get it ;)

so thanks for giving the heads up ;) i hope i will play it today or tomorrow. this is a good surprise. a lot earlier than i had expected to see it on shelves.

thanks for share your impression. I suggest you to explore more to find better loot ; although i guess you are doing so .

I've done everything there is to do so far. Still the same type of armor available. I've currently ran into a brick wall with the first big major boss (i.e. end of act 1 boss I think). I imagine different appearance items will drop after I beat the boss.

It's not a big deal for me anyway. There's still plenty of loot with statistical variety. I just felt that it was worth mentioning for people who consider it a deal breaker. If using the demo as a basis for there being different armor appearances right from the off as well, I'd say the different armor types were probably shown for demo purposes. It could just be that I've been mighty unlucky as well, but I doubt that.

I've started finding orange items now as well. No orange armor yet though (well, I do, but for characters I don't have yet and the orange armor for the character did look different than the other gear I've gathered), but the shield I found looks nice. It seems the orange items are unique as well, as I don't get the impression they're randomly generated with the names they have.

thanks for share your impression. I suggest you to explore more to find better loot ; although i guess you are doing so .

Still the same type of armor available. I've currently ran into a brick wall with the first big major boss (i.e. end of act 1 boss I think).

Rajani

?

Here are two that are discussing the fight and their tactics

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;pagenumber=24

(Rookersh and BluntForceTrauma)

Also its not the endboss for Chapter 1 if it is that boss.

Still the same type of armor available. I've currently ran into a brick wall with the first big major boss (i.e. end of act 1 boss I think).

Rajani

?

Here are two that are discussing the fight and their tactics

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthrea...p;pagenumber=24

(Rookersh and BluntForceTrauma)

Also its not the endboss for Chapter 1 if it is that boss.

Yeah, that's the correct fight. I can beat phase one at times, but I've yet to beat phase 2. I'm tempted to lower the difficulty a bit from hardcore, but don't want to as I'll miss out on the trophy. I mean, I'm not a trophy whore and don't care for them, but it feels a bit cheap doing that. Thanks for the post as well.

If it's not the end boss of chapter 1, any idea how many chapters there are? I'm guessing there's 3 at least, the 3rd being shorter and the culmination. I don't imagine I'm far off beating the first bit though. I just can't see it taking 8 - 10 hours to beat, as some people are reporting, so I'm calling bull on that if the second chapter is as big as the first or bigger. Granted, I am doing everything I can and I am playing on the hardest difficulty. I got the time estimate wrong earlier also, but I've definitely played over 4 hours now. That's not taking into account numerous restarts against the bosses either.

Yeah, that's the correct fight. I can beat phase one at times, but I've yet to beat phase 2. I'm tempted to lower the difficulty a bit from hardcore, but don't want to as I'll miss out on the trophy. I mean, I'm not a trophy whore and don't care for them, but it feels a bit cheap doing that. Thanks for the post as well.

If it's not the end boss of chapter 1, any idea how many chapters there are? I'm guessing there's 3 at least, the 3rd being shorter and the culmination. I don't imagine I'm far off beating the first bit though. I just can't see it taking 8 - 10 hours to beat, as some people are reporting, so I'm calling bull on that if the second chapter is as big as the first or bigger. Granted, I am doing everything I can and I am playing on the hardest difficulty. I got the time estimate wrong earlier also, but I've definitely played over 4 hours now. That's not taking into account numerous restarts against the bosses either.

Theres still a story area (and an optional Dungeon "Heroes Crypt" which should give you nice background lore on DS1. I think at least.) before you reach the second Chapter.

Edited by C2B

Thanks. Good to know there's plenty of game left then. Enjoying it so far and it's funny really, as I normally gather all information I can about a game before buying. Then, there's little surprise when it arrives. With this though, I've not really done much reading. Helps that there wasn't any let's play videos online when i ordered the game.

I'd heard of the Heroes Crypt and I think you get a good item from there. I've even found the entrance to it once, but never entered because I thought it would be a bit too difficult at the time. I might head there now and try to gain a level or two before going back to the boss, though I guess it makes more sense to wait for a quest to go there. I can always grind enemies elsewhere for a level or two.

Edit: Game time is exactly 4 hours and 42 minutes atm, not including restarts.

Edited by Dan_CW

Cross post:

Playing as Reinhart myself. Only on normal so far, will do hardcore in co-op. I really like his playstyle even if I only played for 15 minutes. I intend to use him as a monk type character if possible. I'm still only level 1, so I haven't really gotten a good idea how he will play later on, but I really like going in close, smacking the enemy and then teleporting away. using the kb&m at the moment, but that might change soon. PC controls aren't unplayable, but they are not optimal. I laso don't like the fact that I have to stand on the loot and press E to collect it. Other than that, what I played was fun. (Still very early on, only reached first save point.)

Playing the PC version with settings maxed, runs silky smooth so far.

Keep in mind that I could care less about co-op.

I'm enjoying your impression updates, partly because I'm the same way so I think your perspective might match my style more closely than many. :)

I might try some co-op at some point but I always like to play the game alone first, when possible. Diablo2 was one of the few exceptions.

I think some of the differences in armor are more noticeable with the different characters. At least it seemed that way in the demo. Anjali's look changed quite a bit fairly rapidly but Lucas not so much.

With "everyone" talking about how necessary dodge is in Hardcore, I'm going to have fun trying to disprove that. Not because I think I'm l33t, but because my hands/dexterity won't let me use all of that until I can remap the keys via the patch they're going to release. From other games where I have similar issues I've become pretty darn good at hit & run/surviving with using very little chr. skills. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think some of the differences in armor are more noticeable with the different characters. At least it seemed that way in the demo. Anjali's look changed quite a bit fairly rapidly but Lucas not so much.

With "everyone" talking about how necessary dodge is in Hardcore, I'm going to have fun trying to disprove that. Not because I think I'm l33t, but because my hands/dexterity won't let me use all of that until I can remap the keys via the patch they're going to release. From other games where I have similar issues I've become pretty darn good at hit & run/surviving with using very little chr. skills. :)

Well, I think you'd be spending a good amount of time rotting as a corpse as your partner repeatedly try to resurrect you if you don't get the dodge down. However, there are situations where blocking is better than dodging, as some enemies have a homing normal attack that hits you even when dodging.

Seriously, before I went to bed yesterday, I got 1-shotted by a NORMAL MOB's ranged attack. Katrina was sent sailing thru the air before crashing down on the ground on her face. Man, this is so hardcore lol. :)

Oh I'm sure it won't be easy & that I'll take tons of damage and all that. But...we shall see. I'm very stubborn. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm enjoying your impression updates, partly because I'm the same way so I think your perspective might match my style more closely than many. :)

I might try some co-op at some point but I always like to play the game alone first, when possible. Diablo2 was one of the few exceptions.

With "everyone" talking about how necessary dodge is in Hardcore, I'm going to have fun trying to disprove that. Not because I think I'm l33t, but because my hands/dexterity won't let me use all of that until I can remap the keys via the patch they're going to release. From other games where I have similar issues I've become pretty darn good at hit & run/surviving with using very little chr. skills. :sorcerer:

Hey there,

Glad to hear you're enjoying my updates.

I managed to beat that boss I was having trouble with without turning the difficulty down, though I'm not sure if I exploited anything to do so in terms of the AI. If I didn't exploit something, then the 2nd phase was remarkably easy and I was tempted to kick myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Regarding block, I started out using on one of the bosses. When I found I had to get my character blocking in the correct direction though, I've since switched to dodging all of the time regardless of the stance I'm using. Block's usefulness can be improved though, so that it doesn't cost focus, or so the game's help topics say. So, if you want to go that route, you may be able to get it so that you can sit there and block all day, though I can't verify that.

Now then, Katarina joined me yesterday. I started equipping her with all the gear I'd been lugging around. I equipped a 'blouse of' (and that sounds funny :) ) and then equipped another 'blouse of'. I found that on one of the equipment changes, she went from having a white blouse on to having one that was green with dots on. So, no equipment change had to happen there for her appearance to differ. (These were white/green items) At this point, I'm inclined to agree that it's Lucas' appearance that doesn't change much or doesn't appear to. It could just be I've been unlucky or haven't equipped enough different armor, but I doubt that.

Now then, I'd recommend people don't skip the Heroes Crypt section of the game. I did it prior to acquiring Katarina and I gained a lot of nice loot. Plenty of blue and orange items. So, Lucas' appearance has now changed thanks to the spiffy items and Katarina got to equip an orange item straight away. I did find the end boss of the crypt quite easy though, as I only wiped once, in comparison to the other boss fights when you consider what items I got. One thing I'm finding a lack of so far though are rings and amulets. I've only found one ring as a quest reward (orange funnily enough), though I did see an orange ring in a shop which I didn't purchase.

I do have the pre-order codes at least to remedy the ring/amulet situation, but I haven't used them yet, plus I'm hoping they'll become more common now.

Edit: There was one thing I forgot to mention actually, which is that party members are spoke to by other chars in the game and such. I'm pretty sure conversations will be slightly different based on the character you play as, as well. So, that's another unusual aspect of the game in terms of the hack and slash genre. Also, I had a choice regarding what to do with that boss character after clocking the encounter, so that may or may not come back to bite me in the backside. So far though, I've not experienced any side-effects of choices, though the animated cutscene played after the conversation did allude to me seeing what will happen because of the choice I made later. Again, I'm only early in the game still according to what C2B said, so i wouldn't expect to see the consequences yet. There's also been a bit of a mystery introduced outside of the whole Jayne Kassynder thing (I know some people love that. ;) ) I won't spoil it, but you'll know the mystery I referenced here when you come to it. It made the story more interesting.

Edited by Dan_CW

With "everyone" talking about how necessary dodge is in Hardcore, I'm going to have fun trying to disprove that. Not because I think I'm l33t, but because my hands/dexterity won't let me use all of that until I can remap the keys via the patch they're going to release. From other games where I have similar issues I've become pretty darn good at hit & run/surviving with using very little chr. skills. :sorcerer:

Hey there,

Glad to hear you're enjoying my updates.

I managed to beat that boss I was having trouble with without turning the difficulty down, though I'm not sure if I exploited anything to do so in terms of the AI. If I didn't exploit something, then the 2nd phase was remarkably easy and I was tempted to kick myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Regarding block, I started out using on one of the bosses. When I found I had to get my character blocking in the correct direction though, I've since switched to dodging all of the time regardless of the stance I'm using. Block's usefulness can be improved though, so that it doesn't cost focus, or so the game's help topics say. So, if you want to go that route, you may be able to get it so that you can sit there and block all day, though I can't verify that.

Now then, Katarina joined me yesterday. I started equipping her with all the gear I'd been lugging around. I equipped a 'blouse of' (and that sounds funny :) ) and then equipped another 'blouse of'. I found that on one of the equipment changes, she went from having a white blouse on to having one that was green with dots on. So, no equipment change had to happen there for her appearance to differ. (These were white/green items) At this point, I'm inclined to agree that it's Lucas' appearance that doesn't change much or doesn't appear to. It could just be I've been unlucky or haven't equipped enough different armor, but I doubt that.

Now then, I'd recommend people don't skip the Heroes Crypt section of the game. I did it prior to acquiring Katarina and I gained a lot of nice loot. Plenty of blue and orange items. So, Lucas' appearance has now changed thanks to the spiffy items and Katarina got to equip an orange item straight away. I did find the end boss of the crypt quite easy though, as I only wiped once, in comparison to the other boss fights when you consider what items I got. One thing I'm finding a lack of so far though are rings and amulets. I've only found one ring as a quest reward (orange funnily enough), though I did see an orange ring in a shop which I didn't purchase.

I do have the pre-order codes at least to remedy the ring/amulet situation, but I haven't used them yet, plus I'm hoping they'll become more common now.

Edit: There was one thing I forgot to mention actually, which is that party members are spoke to by other chars in the game and such. I'm pretty sure conversations will be slightly different based on the character you play as, as well. So, that's another unusual aspect of the game in terms of the hack and slash genre. Also, I had a choice regarding what to do with that boss character after clocking the encounter, so that may or may not come back to bite me in the backside. So far though, I've not experienced any side-effects of choices, though the animated cutscene played after the conversation did allude to me seeing what will happen because of the choice I made later. Again, I'm only early in the game still according to what C2B said, so i wouldn't expect to see the consequences yet. There's also been a bit of a mystery introduced outside of the whole Jayne Kassynder thing (I know some people love that. ;) ) I won't spoil it, but you'll know the mystery I referenced here when you come to it. It made the story more interesting.

Hey man, what did you do with the talking door in the Gunder Mansion?

Finally got mine going, going to play Katarina on Hardcore. Still in Demo area but great fun.

1) Game does not run as smoothly as the demo did. I suspect it's related to the demo's bugs with higher graphics settings & blurry textures - the game definitely does look better, I think, and you can definitely tell across settings, though I set most things on Low.

2) Katarina definitely plays very differently from Lucas or Anjali. Feels more like a sniper where you pick your targets, as opposed to Lucas where you can mostly swing about in the fray.

Finally got mine going, going to play Katarina on Hardcore. Still in Demo area but great fun.

1) Game does not run as smoothly as the demo did. I suspect it's related to the demo's bugs with higher graphics settings & blurry textures - the game definitely does look better, I think, and you can definitely tell across settings, though I set most things on Low.

2) Katarina definitely plays very differently from Lucas or Anjali. Feels more like a sniper where you pick your targets, as opposed to Lucas where you can mostly swing about in the fray.

Lol i started with kata too, i hope i wont get too pwned later..

If I remember correctly, the answer should be found near where you find the ghost. Just follow the bread crumb trail to the ghost really. You just need to dig around a bit and read things, then you'll find an added answer when talking to the door that you didn't have previously. If it's not where the ghost is, then go to the ghost and grab a key. I just can't remember whether you get the key or password first. If you get the password first, then the key likely comes from the room that the talking door guards.

In any case, you get the password before tackling the eastern wing.

Edited by Dan_CW

If I remember correctly, the answer should be found near where you find the ghost. Just follow the bread crumb trail to the ghost really. You just need need to dig around a bit and read things, then you'll find an added answer when talking to the door that you didn't have previously. If it's not where the ghost is, then go to the ghost and grab a key. I just can't remember whether you get key or password first. If you get the password first, then the key likely comes from the room that the talking door guards.

Haha that's where you lose out. I didn't look for the password. Instead, I kept talking to the door. Reinhart said a bunch of hilarious things and the door gave up and opened. And I got a Deed for that. :sorcerer:

If I remember correctly, the answer should be found near where you find the ghost. Just follow the bread crumb trail to the ghost really. You just need need to dig around a bit and read things, then you'll find an added answer when talking to the door that you didn't have previously. If it's not where the ghost is, then go to the ghost and grab a key. I just can't remember whether you get key or password first. If you get the password first, then the key likely comes from the room that the talking door guards.

Haha that's where you lose out. I didn't look for the password. Instead, I kept talking to the door. Reinhart said a bunch of hilarious things and the door gave up and opened. And I got a Deed for that. :sorcerer:

Funny. :) It shows there's more than one way to approach some situations.

Also, you mentioned the deeds. While they only give small bonuses to stats so far, it's nice to see that feature is implemented (like perks from AP)

Edited by Dan_CW

Funny. :) It shows there's more than one way to approach some situations.

Also, you mentioned the deeds. While they only give small bonuses to stats so far, it's nice to see that feature is implemented (like perks from AP)

Yeah. Its also a challenge trying for figure how to get them. Is there any non-storyline ones you found so far? I'm only at the mansion and I got two so far. One from the door with +2 to one stat and another for "voting with one voice" in co-op with +1 to Will.