Some updates re: feedback

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to announce one of those "bigger features that we didn't have an ETA on".

Soon, we'll be releasing a patch which adds keybinding to the PC version of the game. We want to make sure we don't introduce any bugs, which is why we don't release it immediately, but it shouldn't be long now.

Again, there are still more updates/improvements we're looking at for the PC version, but I wanted to give you all a heads up that this is one of the big ones since it's something that you all have been asking about.

Thanks!

Much thanks!

Good to know Obsidian listens to what people have to say. =)

So your new engine is only good for tight corridor maps and has performance issues when it shows more than a few meters of ground around your feet?

You know I was hoping you'd use this engine for your own future IPs or, you know, MOTB 2, but this really doesn't bode well...

He really didn't say that.

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to announce one of those "bigger features that we didn't have an ETA on".

Soon, we'll be releasing a patch which adds keybinding to the PC version of the game. We want to make sure we don't introduce any bugs, which is why we don't release it immediately, but it shouldn't be long now.

Again, there are still more updates/improvements we're looking at for the PC version, but I wanted to give you all a heads up that this is one of the big ones since it's something that you all have been asking about.

Thanks!

Don't sweat it. The game is controllable as is and without auto orient on it feels a lot more like dungeon siege... now only if i could map movement to LMB...

looking forward for the patch! I do hope you would also add side stepping, the ability to roll side ways, and camera control using the right mouse button. these are my only complaints in the demo. other than that i find the game really good. will surely get a copy on steam on my next pay day. :lol:

Great news about the remappable pc controls in a patch. My hands will thank you. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I asked in another thread, but I'll ask here as well:

On the PS3, you can see your critical hit chance. However, when it comes to your armor rating, you can see it but you don't know how much damage your current armor rating mitigates. So, it may be a small thing, but would it possible to add that feature when viewing statistics? It'll help us analyse better when our armor value is low.

I asked in another thread, but I'll ask here as well:

On the PS3, you can see your critical hit chance. However, when it comes to your armor rating, you can see it but you don't know how much damage your current armor rating mitigates. So, it may be a small thing, but would it possible to add that feature when viewing statistics? It'll help us analyse better when our armor value is low.

Armor's damage reduction is percentile, so the value you see is probably the % mitigated.

It's the armor rating I believe. Not the actual percentile that's mitigated. If I equip an item with +12 armor, my armor rating will go up by that amount. Likewise, with a shield equipped, my armor can go above a 100.

Edited by Dan_CW

Interesting.

Ah, I remember. The help topics say as enemies become tougher, you'll need more armor to get the same % reduction as before. So enemies after a while get armor penetration or something and out of 100 armor only 60 actually works.

Edited by Oner

Interesting.

Ah, I remember. The help topics say as enemies become tougher, you'll need more armor to get the same % reduction as before. So enemies after a while get armor penetration or something and out of 100 armor only 60 actually works.

Yeah, it's the same system employed by MMORPGs when it comes to statistics. You get less benefit from stats when they stay the same and the enemy's level raises. So, if you have 12 armor which gives 30% mitigation and didn't raise it when levelling, you'll mitigate less damage against higher level enemies. That reminds me, there's no option to see the level of enemies either, but that's not a biggie. It's the same system employed with statistics such as momentum as well. If your momentum rating stays the same as you level, you'll find you get less focus each attack than you were before until you bump your momentum rating a bit more.

It'd be interesting to see if bosses level with you as well like in some MMOs (not mentioning anything specific ;) ) when it comes to calculating the damage they do and such. I'm guessing they don't though as it'd somewhat negate the importance of grinding/doing other quests before returning and tackling a tough quest/boss.

It's entirely possible that it just lowers the effectiveness of the stat as you level, like in Dragon Age 2. But yeah, it would be nice to see all the stats. Specially at later levels when the stats are higher:"Will this +10 to armor actually lower the damage I take or is it too small of an increase and I should rather get this nifty +10 attack?"

It's entirely possible that it just lowers the effectiveness of the stat as you level, like in Dragon Age 2. But yeah, it would be nice to see all the stats. Specially at later levels when the stats are higher:"Will this +10 to armor actually lower the damage I take or is it too small of an increase and I should rather get this nifty +10 attack?"

That's exactly what happens. I perhaps haven't been too clear with my explanations.

the reason you cannot zoom in further or at a better angle is because the game engine doesnt draw the sky. if you tilted the camera up like you want to, they would have to draw the sky in.

i also want health bubbles to stay longer.

and i also want health bubbles to be collected when you roll - at the moment rolling doesnt pick up bubbles.

You're close :)

The engine can definitely draw skies if we included skyboxes in the areas, when you get to the causeways you'll see what I'm taking about, but we usually don't include skyboxes in areas that don't need it. Tilting the camera further would have an impact on performance, gameplay and art since the whole game was designed around the current camera angle. We have a debug camera here that allows us to tilt it further and it doesn't look or feel right, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Ahhh, thanks for letting me know. It's not a big enough deal that I won't play the game. :)

First, with regards to the PC Version:

[*]We're looking at making it so that A and D rotate the camera in the same direction regardless of whether you walk forwards or backwards.

This is exceptionally frustrating as stands, makes a range character incredibly tough to control when trying to move backwards away from mobs... it's almost impossible to steer up a corridor or around a corner in this manner. I find it to be the hardest aspect of the boss fights so far --- not going where I expect to as I move away! My poor Katarina has a blooodied face from all the walls she's smacked into.

I have not yet played a melee character so do not know if this is as bad or not for them.

I am very pleased this is getting fixed, thank you!

Additionally, I really think you need to consider a change so that characters can roll sideways as well as just back and forwards. Unless I'm missing something, I cannot get this to happen!

Apart from this, I have found I have adapted to the control system much quicker than I expected based upon the complaints I have read. I actually find it works for the style of the game pretty well, tbh.

I don my asbestos underpants, as I say... I'm quite enjoying the game thus far.

A response this quick from the dev team shows true commitment and respect for their player base; in turn, I will give you both in return. It is somewhat overlooked after launch in today's industry and I salute you for it.

Incidentally, I didn't notice anywhere (in fact, I'm tired and didn't trawl through all the posts) but, will you look at fixing the subtitle bug? The fact that the option toggle does not remove the subs is somewhat bothersome. (PS version and also PC, allegedly).

Many thanks.

Incidentally, having a blast on it. Cheers guys.

I'd just be happy if everyone got their own screens in multiplayer.

With 2 people its fine. But with 4 people its total chaos.

I agree to that. Having one screen in online multiplayer is totally killing the coop-fun.

I play DS3 with two friends online an it is just horrible to play a "long-range combat"-character (Katarina) if you can not run away from your enemies.

Also the camera is often showing the scene dirct from above, when my friendsdare standing as far away as possible from each other, so the game looks like it is two dimensional only.

Here in the forum there are six other players that also feel the same way:

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57757

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showtopic=57771

And the estimated number of unreported cases will be mutch higher :lol:.

Hope you can fix this as soon as possible, because DS3 could be such more fun without "shared screen".

best regards and sorry for my bad english,

Dean0815

I really liked the demo a lot and have played it through fully three times. The two things I would like to address is the camera (not the A and D keys). I would like to see a better angle. When, for example, being close to the character, I can only move the camera up so far to see what's in front of me. Zooming out is a bit better, but adding that extra angle for up and down would be very nice.

Secondly, the length of the health bubbles. I'm sure someone's mentioned this before, but if actual health potions aren't used and health bubble drops are instead, they need to have a greater length time on the battlefield. I can't count the number of times one has dropped after I killed an enemy, but when the battle was done, I was so close to getting that bubble only for it to disappear before I got there.

the reason you cannot zoom in further or at a better angle is because the game engine doesnt draw the sky. if you tilted the camera up like you want to, they would have to draw the sky in.

i also want health bubbles to stay longer.

and i also want health bubbles to be collected when you roll - at the moment rolling doesnt pick up bubbles.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but you can collect all orbs by pressing the left joystick down. I am not sure how to do it on a keyboard though.

I've just logged into 5 separate and random online PC coop sessions using Steam, and asked random strangers' opinions on the single screen multiplayer and every single person has said they hate it. In fact, a few people (myself included) wish that they'd never purchased it at all. Why would you do this to us? Please, please PLEASE fix it so each person has their own separate screen in multiplayer, it's unbelievably frustrating at the moment, especially with more than 2 players.

I am only speaking personally, but I enjoy dungeon crawlers such as the Dungeon Siege and Titan Quest series as social games to play with friends and strangers. It seems as if you have hamstrung that in multiplayer, by making an absolutely baffling design choice (Whether by conscious choice, or as dictated by a higher authority). I can understand its usefulness with multiple people sitting in front of a single console, but for PC gamers, this is likely not an option due to factors such as a smaller screen or having a desk, and - whether purposefully or not - shows how little regard you hold for a dedicated fanbase who made the series popular enough for another installment.

If you're a PC gamer, please speak up, this can't be an isolated opinion.