Last witch boss fight in the demo

Has anyone managed not to die constantly in the last "rescue prisoners" quest?

I was playing as Lucas and I died non-stop when I got to her, this really shows how the combat is not manageable as melee character.

Eventually after like 20 deaths I beat her by sheer attrition, it was just lame and unsatisfying.

If someone managed not to die once on normal difficulty in the entire demo as Lucas I would really like to know what tactic you used.

Edited by metamag

High block (around 30 should suffice) and armor, preferably with retribution item(s).

If she uses her damaging aura, block, every other spell you just have to dodge than hit her till she casts again.

Killed her on hardcore without dying, shows you how awesomely manageable combat is as a melee character.

Developers should have released videos where they explain in detail how to play this game.

Hm, I just realized I don't know what retribution and some other things even mean..

Edited by metamag

If you died non-stop you most likely either (a) kept attacking her when her retribution was on, so that you take damage every time you hit her; (b) kept stepping on her spell traps that summon skeletons. Both can get confusing the first couple of times, but if you watch then change your strategy and learn to avoid, she is very beatable with Lucas even on Hardcore.

See ESC -> Help for explanation of various abilities. It's pretty clear when you're getting hit by it, though.

Developers should have released videos where they explain in detail how to play this game.

Hm, I just realized I don't know what retribution and some other things even mean..

Esc->Help topics

Retribution returns damage when you're hit (even when blocking), Warding stuns if you're attacked (doesn't work on bosses, but does on unique enemies, like Ottokar), Stagger stun when you attack, etc etc.

I died once on normal but haven't tried hardcore. The key for me was dodging her spray magic missile things and only attacking when she wasn't glowing. Which I now know was her retribution. I also used the donut shaped room to us my health regen skill to it's fullest.

I will try her with Anjali sometime which I am guessing might be even more of a challenge.

If you died non-stop you most likely either (a) kept attacking her when her retribution was on, so that you take damage every time you hit her; (b) kept stepping on her spell traps that summon skeletons. Both can get confusing the first couple of times, but if you watch then change your strategy and learn to avoid, she is very beatable with Lucas even on Hardcore.

See, if the game was slower like the first Dragon Age, or a bit faster but still much slower than now this wouldn't happen.

This was suppose to be about character builds and tactics, not super reflexes, I don't like games where you have to have super reflexes to competently play them.

If the game was slower, though, it would be pretty boring, though? This particular title is about reflexes, as well as builds and tactics, it seems. But I'm not sure how punishing Easy or Normal is for 'super reflexes'.

Vera doesn't have retribution? What did my Lucas die to the first 2 times, then? Hrm.

See, if the game was slower like the first Dragon Age, or a bit faster but still much slower than now this wouldn't happen.

This was suppose to be about character builds and tactics, not super reflexes, I don't like games where you have to have super reflexes to competently play them.

These are the kind of games I grew up on!

I am glad this isn't another Dragon Age type strategy rpg. The combat is really fast passed and edge of your seat sometimes! I could also really tell the difference with better gear which gives the loot hunting aspect a bonus.

Vera doesn't have retribution? What did my Lucas die to the first 2 times, then? Hrm.

She has a spell that surrounds her that constantly damages you, are you mistaking that for retribution?

Retribution is a stat/ability the causes damage to the enemy whenever they hit/damage you.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

You don't need super-reflexes to avoid walking on glowing purple zones on the ground or get the hell away from Vera when she invokes her damaging aura.

She has a very nasty damaging aura spell, so staying close to her is very dangerous when she uses it, but I couldn't tell you if it also involves Retribution : I didn't take Lucas' bolt of energy attack to attack her from a distance.

I died a few times, but mostly because I played it poorly, not cheap enemy attacks, broken controls or anything of the sort. I died once with Lucas and once with Anjali. Need to remember to heal once I have the chance. I keep forgetting that heal button.

I didn't even know how to heal when I ran with Lucas. That's why I died so often.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

....1-2-3?

No, you can cast Heal with 4, and you don't need to enter the Defensive Stance, so I wondered if the other skills of the stance had their own button, or if it was specific to the Heal skill (for very obvious reasons).

I'm definitely not a super-reflex person. First time was with Anjali as mage, no problem at all. On Normal, haven't tried hardcore yet.

2nd time I used Anjali again but as melee, not as a mage, and I died once. I'd killed all her minions without too much trouble (just love her kick!) but towards the end I got "stupid" and was just flailing away at her while staring off into space...so I didn't dodge and such. Health was low & one of her spells or something tore off the sliver that was left. lol

I haven't found the combat very difficult on Normal. Not saying it's super-duper-easy, for me, just not difficult. I'm liking the Normal in the demo at least...not hard but not a total cakewalk either. It's how I like my aRPG's.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts