Criticism way overblown. I signed up to post 'I like it'

So I've made less than 5 posts like this in the past year (and this is my first). I signed up for this forum specifically because I played the demo and couldn't believe the amount of angst heaped on the game.

This game is cool.

YES, key-mapping would be very much appreciated. that is not a big deal, and is minor-patch territory.

A different company is making this game. They made it console friendly. that doesn't have to insult us to the bone. Is the game ok or not is the question.

IT IS NOT A CLONE OF DIABLO OR DS 1 or 2 (all of which I loved)

The combat system is cool and interesting and I feel like I've just scratched the surface. Blocking, dodging, ways to quickly get your abilities recharged, these are all different additions to this kind of RPG. I like the addition. I'm ready to do something different because the characters look so unique and interesting.

I like that I don't have to wander around looking for the right way to go.

I LIKE that I don't have fights 10 meters from another group of monsters that are apparently oblivious to the massive epic battle happening next to them (including fireballs from the heavens). It is worse when the 'monsters' just out of reach are, actually, humans, who are allies of the people I'm fighting, but are happy to wait their turn until I kills their friends... I like the ambiance, and I like that I can skip through most of it quickly.

I like same computer multi-player (however it comes!)

I play just a few games. I have a life. I'm keen to play this one.

Post from some guy named something like sophex calling me a troll in

(PS - where I come from we call that 'attacking the man and not the ball' - which is bad form)

So I've made less than 5 posts like this in the past year (and this is my first). I signed up for this forum specifically because I played the demo and couldn't believe the amount of angst heaped on the game.

This game is cool.

YES, key-mapping would be very much appreciated. that is not a big deal, and is minor-patch territory.

A different company is making this game. They made it console friendly. that doesn't have to insult us to the bone. Is the game ok or not is the question.

IT IS NOT A CLONE OF DIABLO OR DS 1 or 2 (all of which I loved)

The combat system is cool and interesting and I feel like I've just scratched the surface. Blocking, dodging, ways to quickly get your abilities recharged, these are all different additions to this kind of RPG. I like the addition. I'm ready to do something different because the characters look so unique and interesting.

I like that I don't have to wander around looking for the right way to go.

I LIKE that I don't have fights 10 meters from another group of monsters that are apparently oblivious to the massive epic battle happening next to them (including fireballs from the heavens). It is worse when the 'monsters' just out of reach are, actually, humans, who are allies of the people I'm fighting, but are happy to wait their turn until I kills their friends... I like the ambiance, and I like that I can skip through most of it quickly.

I like same computer multi-player (however it comes!)

I play just a few games. I have a life. I'm keen to play this one.

Post from some guy named something like sophex calling me a troll in

(PS - where I come from we call that 'attacking the man and not the ball' - which is bad form)

Well said. I hope you enjoy your purchase. =)

i agree about key remapping.

its certainly patchable.

obsidian have done interface patches before with games (neverwinter nights 2 had a big camera overhaul in one of its patches because lots of people complained about it)

im with you on the interesting combat. its certainly different than the DS1&2 pot fest that ensued if you got in trouble. althougb tbh archery in those games made it a joke tbh. very overpowered.

but how do you actually recharge your abilities quicker. seem linked to mana to me, and without pots you cant even recharge that?

Your focus (the 'mana') recharges every time you block or hit something, so that you're never just running around kiting enemies until your mana gets back up, you have to get back in there and fight.

but how do you actually recharge your abilities quicker. seem linked to mana to me, and without pots you cant even recharge that?

You gain focus for every normal attack or focus sphere you grab. How much focus you regain when attacking is governed by a stat called Momentum afaik. Never played DSI or II so I dunno if abilities recharge more quickly than in those games or not.

The game is not perse bad... but for the game frachise and name it's UTTER GARBAGE.

Which means you can still enjoy it ! But it's just on a totally different level of enjoyment then the dungeon siege we know of.

It's just your average game and below average at many points. in so many ways.

I agree with the original poster. The game is way better than the critisims seem to imply. OK, the controls (for PC) get a litle bit of time to get used to, but once you do, it works.

I found myself getting trashed at first, because I thought this would be a simple click fest. It's not ! You have to think strategy, use the correct stance at correct times and don't be afraid to block/dodge. Speaking of block, spacebar is your friend in this game. And its not random that they bound the spacebar key to defensive skills too. When you get swarmed, you block with spacebar, hit "1" to get your healing going and then take the fight to the enemy. Or hold spacebar and use directional arrows to dodge and reposition yourself. It works very well.

I'm a bit worried though about the "empowered" version of talents in the full game, which will require that we push "Shift". Empowered defensive talents will be Shift + Spacebar + 1... When you combine that with the stance switching and dodging and whatnot, I foresee some finger acrobatics.

It's great that you came. You almost made it too late but luckily just in time as well. They need all the brave defenders they can get, stand your ground young soldier!

I expected a mindless hack and slash bro-op game, but I got so much more. I'm even more excited than before I played the demo. I do realise it's not what Dungeon Siege fans wanted, but I cannot say no to a good game, and it sure does seem to have lots of merits on its own.

Yes, the more I play it now with Lucas the more I like it, it's quite unique but in a good way and you have to unlearn the mechanics of classic ARPGs.

Definitely one of the best ARPGs that came out in the last 2 years.

Still it's sad that it has been degraded by multiplatforming.

Multiplatforming has been degrading games for a while now with the gap between PC and console hardware being so huge now, for example Crysis 2 got multiplatformed and now it has worse textures than 4 year old Crysis 1.

That's how big the gap is...

Edited by metamag

I agree with the original poster. The game is way better than the critisims seem to imply. OK, the controls (for PC) get a litle bit of time to get used to, but once you do, it works.

I found myself getting trashed at first, because I thought this would be a simple click fest. It's not ! You have to think strategy, use the correct stance at correct times and don't be afraid to block/dodge. Speaking of block, spacebar is your friend in this game. And its not random that they bound the spacebar key to defensive skills too. When you get swarmed, you block with spacebar, hit "1" to get your healing going and then take the fight to the enemy. Or hold spacebar and use directional arrows to dodge and reposition yourself. It works very well.

I'm a bit worried though about the "empowered" version of talents in the full game, which will require that we push "Shift". Empowered defensive talents will be Shift + Spacebar + 1... When you combine that with the stance switching and dodging and whatnot, I foresee some finger acrobatics.

I guess this why the console port is better. Holding R2+L1 and pressing square is much easier on a ps3 then K&M. Then again, I've been playing a lot of Mortal Kombat, so comboing various button presses into R2 is very easy for me.