DS3 Demo: High Praise from a long time Dungeon Siege series enthusiast.

I loved DS1 & 2 - still do - there is just something about them that really connect to me. I also appreciate the fact that not everyone likes the Dungeon Siege games as much as I do. We all have our quirks and acquired tastes.

I have been keenly looking forward to the third installment for the longest of times - even before it was confirmed that there would be a third. After playing the demo on PC & on Xbox - I have to congratulate Obsidian on a truly splendid & highly accomplished game - you guys have hit a home run as far as I am concerned. Thank you for providing an installment that IS truly Dungeon Siege. It is very easy to knock the demo as un-dungeon siege like after a quick 30 min hands on. However, I encourage all to just slow down & appreciate the nuances, subtlety and key details that provide for a very consistant Dungeon Siege experience.

The amount of negativity from a very vocal & immature minority is truly toxic and indeed venomous. Even if Chris Taylor cloned himself a hundred ways & times and created DS3,4,5,6,7 - there will be those who will NEVER be satisfied. To some DS1 is the be all and end all - the ONLY canonical & authentic DS experience. How sad...

DS3 should be played with a key context in mind: 150 years have passed since the events of the first. Alot can happen and change in a century & a half...

DS3 is completely different from the first two? So is DS2 to DS1 - The towns of Eirulan, Amanlu & Kalrathia and areas of DS2 bear very little resemblance to Stonebridge, Glacern, etc of DS1. DS1 & DS2 are quite different to each other. It is time to wake up and recognize that DS3 is & will be a superior gaming experience to the first two. Bias, prejudice and a rigid gaming outllook is behind so much of the negativity.

The petty, pitiful and pathetic vocal minority be damned, I intend to enjoy DS3, and nothing a handful of ****roaches will ever change that.

Thanks once again Obsidian! The demo was awesome. You have my huge endorsement, appreciation and gratitude.

I loved DS1 & 2 - still do - there is just something about them that really connect to me. I also appreciate the fact that not everyone likes the Dungeon Siege games as much as I do. We all have our quirks and acquired tastes.

I have been keenly looking forward to the third installment for the longest of times - even before it was confirmed that there would be a third. After playing the demo on PC & on Xbox - I have to congratulate Obsidian on a truly splendid & highly accomplished game - you guys have hit a home run as far as I am concerned. Thank you for providing an installment that IS truly Dungeon Siege. It is very easy to knock the demo as un-dungeon siege like after a quick 30 min hands on. However, I encourage all to just slow down & appreciate the nuances, subtlety and key details that provide for a very consistant Dungeon Siege experience.

The amount of negativity from a very vocal & immature minority is truly toxic and indeed venomous. Even if Chris Taylor cloned himself a hundred ways & times and created DS3,4,5,6,7 - there will be those who will NEVER be satisfied. To some DS1 is the be all and end all - the ONLY canonical & authentic DS experience. How sad...

DS3 should be played with a key context in mind: 150 years have passed since the events of the first. Alot can happen and change in a century & a half...

DS3 is completely different from the first two? So is DS2 to DS1 - The towns of Eirulan, Amanlu & Kalrathia and areas of DS2 bear very little resemblance to Stonebridge, Glacern, etc of DS1. DS1 & DS2 are quite different to each other. It is time to wake up and recognize that DS3 is & will be a superior gaming experience to the first two. Bias, prejudice and a rigid gaming outllook is behind so much of the negativity.

The petty, pitiful and pathetic vocal minority be damned, I intend to enjoy DS3, and nothing a handful of ****roaches will ever change that.

Thanks once again Obsidian! The demo was awesome. You have my huge endorsement, appreciation and gratitude.

I would disagree with you in a few areas, but ultimately I agree that DS3 did some things better than the previous DS games. It definitely is a fun game, I think. =)

What do you think about the differences in multiplayer and the exclusion of modding in DS3 though? I'm curious. =)

Modding support for the previous two games (espcially DS1) was definitely a high point. Being able to play over 50 new maps (mini maps, siegelets, map abdons - Legends of Aranna 3.2, etc) in addition to the original GPG ones was a huge highlight for me.

I intend to solely focus on Single Player in DS3 at least to begin with.

how about we stop this circle jerk. this is really annoying. while I do find the **** some people post amusing, this whole love/hate situation is ridiculous. don't you have anything better to do? I'm ok, I don't need a job to support a living, so I can waste my time browsing the Internet. but I believe that's an exceptional case.

it does look like a troll post considering what's been happening in this section, but I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt

whoa, I posted from the future :(

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

how about we stop this circle jerk. this is really annoying. while I do find the **** some people post amusing, this whole love/hate situation is ridiculous. don't you have anything better to do? I'm ok, I don't need a job to support a living, so I can waste my time browsing the Internet. but I believe that's an exceptional case.

it does look like a troll post considering what's been happening in this section, but I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt

u mad?

Heh, the OP probably is a troll. I get that feeling, at least.

Eh... Unfortunately I have the feeling that this is only the beginning of the trolling, too (for either side).

Kind of sad to see the DS3 forum get so ugly. =P

you crack me up

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

i never create topics like these, youre just asking to be targeted.

i do like what ive seen of the demo, and hope the full game is much longer than illegal users have stated. i hope some of my graphics problems get patched, i hope for a key remap for those with those problems even though ill be using a controller to play.

im certainly not part of obsidian defense squad though. for one thing i prefer crinkle cut lol

This forum for the past two weeks, summarized:

"You don't agree with me, you must be trolling!"

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

Eh... Unfortunately I have the feeling that this is only the beginning of the trolling, too (for either side).

If all the things we've heard so far are true; the outrage on release day will blot out the sun.

If all the things we've heard so far are true; the outrage on release day will blot out the sun.

Hah! I doubt all the rumors are true... I have a hard time believing what pirates have to say. Especially without proof.

At leas we'll play in the shade! :)

Hah! I doubt all the rumors are true... I have a hard time believing what pirates have to say. Especially without proof.
Well someone posted a screenshot of an 8 hour savegame (apparently the game auto saves at the end- the auto save was there too), but that went down with a troll thread. Whether that's proof or not... you decide.

Well someone posted a screenshot of an 8 hour savegame (apparently the game auto saves at the end- the auto save was there too), but that went down with a troll thread. Whether that's proof or not... you decide.

8 hours I can easily believe if you run through (And considering that some places like the gunderic mansion according to the description in the beginning are apparentlay optional). I can believe that with many other games (Especially in a ARPG that has dodge roll). I don't really see what the big deal is about that number though other than the game could be too easy.

Bigger Games were run through faster

Edited by C2B

I remember people saying how it takes Alpha Protocol only like 8 hours to finish. Took me like 20-30 hours. Spent 6 hours on Brayko alone on recruit&hard with my assault rifle & gadget build Mike. So I'm still not worried. And I'll rather replay a game that lasts 15-25 hours than a game that takes you 50 hours to finish and is filled with endless boring combat *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

Hate the living, love the dead.

I remember people saying how it takes Alpha Protocol only like 8 hours to finish. Took me like 20-30 hours. Spent 6 hours on Brayko alone on recruit&hard with my assault rifle & gadget build Mike. So I'm still not worried. And I'll rather replay a game that lasts 15-25 hours than a game that takes you 50 hours to finish and is filled with endless boring combat *cough* Dragon Age 2 *cough*

Indeed. I've never finished DAO or DA2 simply because there's too much filler. *The Deep Roads and the Fade broke me*

ARPG's basically ARE filler. They are combat heavy and have big dungeons. Are you expecting DS3 to really be that story heavy and have tons of reactivity and C&C?

Didn't say tons, enough to warrant a 2nd playthrough.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I was more aiming that comment at the kind gentleman MechanicalLemon. ARG's kind of are just "The Deep Roads" style gameplay (hack and slay) for basically the whole game. I thought the Deep Roads weren't long enough to be honest and you couldn't really get lost which sucked.

I hope the story is really great BTW and hope that each character has some differences in the story.

Edited by MonkeyLungs

I was more aiming that comment at the kind gentleman MechanicalLemon. ARG's kind of are just "The Deep Roads" style gameplay (hack and slay) for basically the whole game. I thought the Deep Roads weren't long enough to be honest and you couldn't really get lost which sucked.

I hope the story is really great BTW and hope that each character has some differences in the story.

I didn't like DAO's combat at all so the Deep Roads were a nightmare for me (although I'm a huge fan of the old IE games). Yeah, ARPGs essentially boil down to loads and loads of hack and slash gameplay but I think what keeps me playing an ARPG as opposed to DAO is the loot and more engaging combat mechanics. If combat is satisfying enough, filler tends to be less of an issue. IMHO, of course.

Indeed, I'm expecting a great story as well. Will George Ziets be able to top MOTB? I hope so.

Indeed, I'm expecting a great story as well. Will George Ziets be able to top MOTB? I hope so.

From what I've seen (And I spoilered myself already a lot). Don't expect that. It won't go into depth as much as MOTB is but its still very good. Especially the moral ambiguity of some of the stuff impressed me.

Edited by C2B