Combat broken

I just registered to post this.

Overall I like the game, top-notch voice acting, atmosphere, story, it's all very well done and consistent but there is one huge problem-

Character doesn't move to the enemy when you left click on the enemy, this makes the entire combat extremely clumsy. Am I missing something here?

If not it is perplexing how this kind of combat mechanic would have been even considered.

Another thing, why do you have fixed characters?

For example, I want to play as that young handsome male guy but with fire spells class, not swordsmanship. I don't want to play as a female character with huge boobs, it throws the RPG aspect right out the window.

What was wrong with the concept of creating your own character(gender, looks, class)??

Some weird design decisions going on here..

P.S.

I played both Dungeon Siege I, II and I don't care in the slightest of its supposed continuation, all that matters is that it is a good action RPG.

Edited by metamag

The combat is definitely broken, I just realized regarding empowering mechanic that it is not charged and then used later when you press corresponding number of ability you empowered but it is used instantly!

I never encountered such awkward and inefficient combat control, how is it possible that this wasn't tested, simply by trying to press shift and number key with one hand while holding the mouse with other hand would show how very clumsy this is.

Oh, and it is very hard to discern in the store what items will your character be able to equip, you could have just reddened the items your character can't equip in the store menu, would that have been so hard to do?

Edited by metamag

And on kb/m too. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it is very hard to discern in the store what items will your character be able to equip, you could have just reddened the items your character can't equip in the store menu, would that have been so hard to do?
Every character wears unique type of gear. Lucas wears hauberks, Anjali wears breastplates (boob shaped breastplates). Not that hard to tell them apart. Edited by Oner

There's a lot of games where left clicking on an enemy doesn't mean you move towards them (e.g. that would be any ranged character in Diablo 2). It's generally agreed that the control scheme is poor on the keyboard and mouse, but hell, left click isn't move in a huge number of games, especially RPG & RTS games.

Specifically for DS3, it would be silly because then every time you wanted to attack in a certain direction (I want to stay here and swing my sword left), he'd end up.... going left. Now that would actually, in the true sense of the word, be 'broken' if you couldn't stand still and attack.

Keyboard mapping would, of course, satisfy your unique preference, so here's hoping we get that.

They could make it right clicking to move around (i.e. point and click as opposed to holding down rmb to move around). Personally I just think a and d need to be actual strafing movement rather than awkwardly turning in different directions and camera auto orient turned off by default and the controls would be fine.

There's a lot of games where left clicking on an enemy doesn't mean you move towards them (e.g. that would be any ranged character in Diablo 2). It's generally agreed that the control scheme is poor on the keyboard and mouse, but hell, left click isn't move in a huge number of games, especially RPG & RTS games.

Specifically for DS3, it would be silly because then every time you wanted to attack in a certain direction (I want to stay here and swing my sword left), he'd end up.... going left. Now that would actually, in the true sense of the word, be 'broken' if you couldn't stand still and attack.

Keyboard mapping would, of course, satisfy your unique preference, so here's hoping we get that.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that.. no keymapping.. how utterfail they can't even add such a simple feature. Maybe because their focus was on console?

Yes, multiplatforming tends to horribly degrade games, especially now with the humongous gap between console and mid-range PC hardware. For example, Crysis 2 now has worse textures than Crysis 1 because it got multiplatformed.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that.. no keymapping.. how utterfail they can't even add such a simple feature. Maybe because their focus was on console?

Console games do get button mapping.

It's simply that DS3 doesn't support it.

Character doesn't move to the enemy when you left click on the enemy, this makes the entire combat extremely clumsy. Am I missing something here?

In the menu move combat targeting to the far right.

The difference with this game is you have to move slightly first in the direction of the enemy you want to attack to target it. So say you are surrounded, your target is the north enemy to start, if you want to immediately target south, put your cursor over the south enemy (like any other game), then click RMB (the difference), you will move slightly south but also target that south enemy right away. East, move cursor over east enemy, RMB target east, attack. That's how it works.

Yes it is different, but once you have that figured out, not too bad. I can see someone in dev. that played it day in and out have no issue. This genre has trained us to simply move the cursor over the enemy to attack and as we swing with LMB it simply handles the targeting as well.