Why does this game have the Dungeon Siege name?

So I don't normally spend time to post on forums but for some odd reason I just had to express my thoughts about this game. Dungeon Siege is probably one of my favorite IP's ever. When I think of Dungeon Siege I think of something that is completely different then what this game is. Why make such drastic changes to what works well and what made the dungeon siege name what it is today? Now I'm not here to bash this game, I just wished they had not gave this game the dungeon siege name because people who are looking for what they loved in previous games will definitely not find it in this game. To be honest I'm glad I had the chance to play the game before I spent hard earned cash on it. I'm sure people will love this game and have a great time playing it, just saying its not for me and had higher hopes for a game titled Dungeon Siege 3. :lol:

If I should hazard a guess, I would say name recognition and established lore?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

If it makes you feel better, the DS property wasn't exactly a hot commodity that many developers were clamoring for.

That's hardly something fans should be happy about if the resurrected franchise doesn't resemble what they were hoping for in the slightest.

To answer the OP, it was Square Enix that preferred to go with the Dungeon Siege brand instead of a new IP Obsidian pitched and proposed the high level concept I think (at least that's what I gathered from various interview both from Obsidian and Square Enix) though I don't think that the concept was anything more than "let's go with an hack'n'slash for consoles". Not that Obsidian is free of blame anyway, they designed the game and decided to go with the direction they went for.

If it makes you feel better, the DS property wasn't exactly a hot commodity that many developers were clamoring for.

That's hardly something fans should be happy about if the resurrected franchise doesn't resemble what they were hoping for in the slightest.

To answer the OP, it was Square Enix that preferred to go with the Dungeon Siege brand instead of a new IP Obsidian pitched and proposed the high level concept I think (at least that's what I gathered from various interview both from Obsidian and Square Enix) though I don't think that the concept was anything more than "let's go with an hack'n'slash for consoles". Not that Obsidian is free of blame anyway, they designed the game and decided to go with the direction they went for.

Well said.

1. It was more (this was the defiance concept) and it isn't the same concept. Said concept is still hanging. DSIII is something different.

2. It was first meant to have a spin-off name but Square Enix wanted it to define the future of the franchise and called it the third.

3. The fans argument is very arguable. As it is in any franchise. Including Fallout (Just to not sound like a hypocrite)

Edited by C2B

They just want to borrow the name and profit from it.

Taking fans money because they expect the same from the franchise.

IT"S NOT THE DUNGEON SIEGE 3 FRANCHISE ANYMORE.

It could have been named wizards and warriors or whatever, instead it just stole the dungeon siege name.

No click and point? No pvp? No save where u want? no 4 players co-op locally xbox 360? Only 1 partymember? No more puzzles like previous dungeon siege? No more. etc.. It HAS NOTHING of dungeon siege so far. It went to a completly different genre.

And yes I signed up just to let obisbidian know they ****ed up one of the best(if not the best) rpg titles ever.

Don't get me wrong it may still be a decent game, but it's not the EPIC Dungeon siege we know!!!

So we better accept it, and set out expectations low, because all good games seem to die out wether it's from consoles or so called evolved gaming who knows, I know it just plain sucks and I will grab an old game to play.

Edited by chrisssj2

Even dungeon and dragons heroes could do it on xbox 1.. 4 players local co-op. WHY IS IT SO HARD?

Flouride whatever.. each his own? Dungeon siege is definitly one of the best rpg on pc. Final Fantasy 9 though is my all time favorite rpg ever.

4 player local co-op would lead to an incredibly clustered UI that'd just be a real hassle to deal with. I dunno how DnD heroes did it, screenshot?

EDIT: Nvm here's the screenshot

heroes001.jpg

can't say I like how that looks, way too clustered and messed up, nope 2 player local 4 player online was the best choice.

Edited by ShadowScythe

Flouride whatever.. each his own? Dungeon siege is definitly one of the best rpg on pc. Final Fantasy 9 though is my all time favorite rpg ever.

Your tastes are horrible and therefore your opinion is invalid for everyone here >_< .

WHY IS IT SO HARD?

Size of the UI. You can't fit four of that thing on the screen and maintain a good visibility.

You have got to be kidding me, that's the excuse? You could easily edit it and make it work while retaining enough visibility.

And sannom you can't devalueate people's opinion for everyone, each has it's own taste and so it isn't invalid for everyone.

You can only decide for yourself. Some people like games that I find "bad" and other way around.

Edited by chrisssj2

It's not an excuse, it's a clear problem and shrinking down the interface isn't going to achieve anything (interface only looks large on PC, on a TV I'd imagine it'd need to be that big for all the stats and icons to be clearly visible)

It's simply not worth the hassle, besides 4 player co-op is supported by online anyway- such a petty thing to complain about.

Petty? Except if you're a social gamer who wants to game at the same time on the couch with 2 or 3 friends.

We determine what we play by the ability of what we can play at the same time. and that is becoming extremly narrow nowadays.

Bring back the nintendo 64 lol. The good times were they advertised 4 player local playing.

Taking fans money

:lol:

so SquareEnix came to your home, took all your money, promising it would all go towards making a new cool DS game, and gave it all to Obsidian to develop DSIII?

gee, you're a hypocrite

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

How many arpgs allow four player for local co-op? I can only think of a few this generation. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance. All of them Games I didn't hate but also didn't think highly of.

How many arpgs allow four player for local co-op? I can only think of a few this generation. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2 and Dungeon Hunter: Alliance. All of them Games I didn't hate but also didn't think highly of.

Didn't champions of Norath and Champions: Return to Arms have 4 player Co-op?

Even dungeon and dragons heroes could do it on xbox 1.. 4 players local co-op. WHY IS IT SO HARD?

Probably tech/graphics increases causing the entire game to become more process intensive so trying to handle four inputs and render four separate views/locations with similar effects would overwork the system.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Didn't champions of Norath and Champions: Return to Arms have 4 player Co-op?

Those were last gen games. You also had to have some peripheral to allow for 4 player. It was like a PS2 link or something. Return to Arms was awesome.

Thanks for all the feedback, glad to see I'm not the only person that feels "let down" with this game. I have to say comparing it to fallout pre Bethesda has its points but even though Bethesda completely changed the game play of the fallout series, It was still a great gaming experience over all. Yes I will admit to being a huge fan of Bethesda since Arena. Morrowind was by far one of the best gaming experiences Ive ever had. This on the other hand feels like a cheap Dragon Age rip off. So yeah you are right to compare this franchise to fallout, the only problem I have with that, is that Dungeon Siege 3 is just not fun for me at all when Fallout 3 was very fun even though I did miss the original game play I still had a great time playing it.

And yes God does hate me........... :lol: