If this game wasn't a DS sequel, and the PC controls were fixed, would there be that many complaints?

Cause I'm getting this for PS3 and the controls were good. And I don't really care for the lore, eventhough I played both earlier DS games.

Its fun as a hack/slash co-op game with some story thrown in and lots of loot. Really gives me the Diablo fix before D3 comes out...

Cause I'm getting this for PS3 and the controls were good. And I don't really care for the lore, eventhough I played both earlier DS games.

Its fun as a hack/slash co-op game with some story thrown in and lots of loot. Really gives me the Diablo fix before D3 comes out...

That's a good question... I don't know. To be honest, you can't judge how successful something will be by people's reactions on the internet (reviewers included). Where the real evidence will lay will be in the sales figures when they are released.

That's a good question... I don't know. To be honest, you can't judge how successful something will be by people's reactions on the internet (reviewers included). Where the real evidence will lay will be in the sales figures when they are released.

Actually, Metacritic gets used by publishers in contracts as a royalties clause, so it seems perfectly logical to me to use it as one (but not only, obviously) way to judge how successful a game was. Forums can be useful to see how successful a game was with a certain niche and do provide good feedback, but it's confused, hard to read feedback, so it usually gets disregarded.

I think if they marketted the game for what it is, (a modern version of Champions of Norrath and BG Dark Alliance with improvements) rather than a sequel from a lore standpoint, it would have less de-criers and fanrage. It is even optimized for the console, which those other games came from and arguably where the fanbase is for those gametypes.

Yeah, the kind of stupid thing about the situation is that investors & suits decide metacritic is a simple and easy way to decide how well liked the game is; then they go ahead and use that as a golden perfect marker for royalties, contracts, etc; and because of that, metacritic suddenly becomes more important; then we start using it as an authoritative source; then it all goes in circles again.

Metacritic is an aggregate of (a) video game reviews from sometimes subjective, sometimes corrupt, sometimes simply wrong journos & (b) a bunch of random people (plus game developers in disguise) fighting about how game is awesome/crap. Woo. :ermm:

Actually, Metacritic gets used by publishers in contracts as a royalties clause, so it seems perfectly logical to me to use it as one (but not only, obviously) way to judge how successful a game was. Forums can be useful to see how successful a game was with a certain niche and do provide good feedback, but it's confused, hard to read feedback, so it usually gets disregarded.

Very interesting. =)

i suspect that if it didnt have the dungeon siege name, and even if pc controls were fixed there would still be moaners stating its a dumbed down for console rpg.

the very fact that it even exists on a games console will result in 'dumbed down' whether it actually is or isnt.

I'd honestly still have some niggles about the combat and the general genericness of it, but then again, I don't really care about the Dungeon Siege name.

Having watched a stream last night. Don't be so quick to judge about "generic" here.

For me if the PC controls were fixed with the ability to point and click, proper camera and ability to remap then yes, for me it would porbably be enjoyable. As it is I can't get past the frustrating controls therefore stopped playing the demo early on. As it is at the moment, it completely defies logic. I cannot remember the last game I played that didn't have a controls section in the options menu containing even basic elements such as keymapping, camera options etc.

Edited by deejayqf

Metacritics should be shut down. I hate that crapfest of subjectivity.

and the whole "reviewing as a professional preoccupation" thing should disappear from the face of the Earth

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Metacritic gets a lot of flak for being the major review aggregator, and they certainly took a lot of stupid choices in the past, but I very much doubt they're bribing the publishers to be referenced in contracts (and be sure, as the situation is, if the Metacritic was shut down they'd use another aggregator) nor it's their faults that the gaming journalism is as it is.

Well, I have already written this and some people said more or less similar things but I don't think most of people here are those who would make the major portion of the sales of Dungeon Siege III, to say the least.

[Off Topic]

As for game reviews, game reviews are like reviews of movies and literatures (although the latter group are established and those who read books are more likely to write better articles) and cannot but be subjective. I usually read quite many reviews before buying a game but there are always a handful reviews which are reliable in each major site. What we should be careful is that there are some "reviewers" who put spoilers even in their title although their context is not worth reading. Even skimming won't help in these case.

Edited by Wombat

Metacritic gets a lot of flak for being the major review aggregator, and they certainly took a lot of stupid choices in the past, but I very much doubt they're bribing the publishers to be referenced in contracts (and be sure, as the situation is, if the Metacritic was shut down they'd use another aggregator) nor it's their faults that the gaming journalism is as it is.

Well, they pretty much support this with their crappy nonsensical system. What worth is it to know the average rating of a game if the used reviews are bullshizzle anyway.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."