PC Controls Discussion

BTW, for those of you who don't have xbox controllers, other PC controllers, such as Logitech ones, are compatible with DS3 using x360ce. Going to try it now and see how the gamepad controls play.

(One thing I notice is that you can actually modify the camera, though only a little bit, angling up and down - maybe that's possible in KB/M too and we just don't know the keys yet).

To angle the camera using a KB/M hold the left alt + right mouse key and move the mouse. It's a little awkward as this causes your character to move at the same time but it works.

Are you kidding?

Nope, it works. But it only lets you move the camera a little bit, and only up, which doesn't help much, as the camera needs to come down, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, the camera and controls are bad enough that I'll probably never pick up this game unless it's on sale for < $10

Controls definitely aren't good, but they aren't unplayable - played the demo twice now and I've gotten used to it.

You sound like a car salesman. Listen, we get it, you work for Obisidian and are obligated to defend their products.

But we're NOT IDIOTS, this game has the worst keyboard/mouse controls i have ever seen and it doesn't even have keybinding, especially for a PC game.

I'll be spending my hard earned money on another product.

:thumbsup:

i found that there are two horrible things about the controls, in my opinion:

1) the fact that W and S are for moving forward and backward but A and D are not right and left. they rotate the camera. isn't that completely stupid? shouldnt the mouse move the camera on the screen edge yet the A and D move the character left and right like in any other action game? why would i need two different schemes doing the same thing? 2 ways to rotate the camera is not needed in this game where most of the time the high angle camera shows enough.

if this game had A and D as moving left and right instead of rotating the camera i wouldnt be posting here since the next point would be moot.

2) the fact that outside of combat i can left click on different sides of my character and have it attack in different directons quickly yet during combat if there is an enemy behind me , clicking on him won't make my character turn to attack the enemy im pointing my cursor on but attack the enemy in front of me. to change enemies i need to right click in the direction i want to face and then attack. there is no way to quickly change targets.

if i could use A and D to change my facing this wouldnt be an issue but using the AWSD for moving around is horrible and might as well use the right click for that since WASD provide no good movements solution.

i really prey to the gods of common sense to give players an option in the menu to either use A and D to rotate or to move the camera as two different options. i think most players wouldnt notice the hindering of the controls if this was the case to begin with.

BTW, for those of you who don't have xbox controllers, other PC controllers, such as Logitech ones, are compatible with DS3 using x360ce. Going to try it now and see how the gamepad controls play.

(One thing I notice is that you can actually modify the camera, though only a little bit, angling up and down - maybe that's possible in KB/M too and we just don't know the keys yet).

You are able to do it, as well as rotating it left and right, by holding the middle mouse button.

I'm really shocked by the amount of people complaining about the game, the game has very good gameplay and the story seems promising.

Not to mention the fact that it is rather suprising that "the most critically aclaimed screensaver ever" has so many fans.

But "de gustibus non est disputandum" and I can understand some of their dissapointment, I would also kill for another isometric Fallout.

Dungeon Siege was noted at the time of release for being dumbed down compared to previous RPGs. People complaining that the game played itself was common. Now, in this forum, plenty of people since the release of the demo have been complaining that Dungeon Siege 3 dumbed down things compared to the originals. I find that amusing.

Now, regarding your control issues, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be customizable controls in every game. I especially understand how it is a big problem for people who are left handed. However that doesn't mean that aren't any PC controls in this DS3. It just means you don't like the controls and would like to see them changed.

everything is being dumbed down these days i never got to play any of the dungeon siege games as im not a huge pc gamer (other then free mmorpgs) and i can tell that the games had great depth to it thats the kind of game i want for my console but for w.e reason every game maker is like hey make this game for casuals make that game for casuals.....

i hate where the game market is going its just dumb....(a few more examples of this is what zipper did to socom 4 so i feel your guys pain ive been a huge socom fan for a good majority of my life and this one is just horrible...so i get why people are pissed...but you know people are greedy they throw there true fans out like they are old news to pick up on a few dollars....shows how good that worked for zipper and sony socom 4 as is has tanked....)

I don't this is a game for casuals, unless you play it on the lowest difficulty. Competent knowledge of the game's systems seem to be required in order to progress in the hardest levels.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I don't this is a game for casuals, unless you play it on the lowest difficulty. Competent knowledge of the game's systems seem to be required in order to progress in the hardest levels.

agreed but the hardness of the game compared to the depth of the game are 2 different things casuals want simple things low amount of buttons skills progression

30 levels and 9 skills per class is quite small to most rpgs....i mean i get why they did it so you can have all the skills at once and you dont have to assign buttons and decide not to use certain ones but still....anywho just my oppinion...

Edited by Buchi1324

I don't think you can max your stats or have all the skills at once without seriously gimping the character.

Heja Sverige!!

I don't think you can max your stats or have all the skills at once without seriously gimping the character.

??? from what i noticed its a skill point almost every 3 levels or so...there are 9 skills so thats pretty close to all and since there a 3 skills for your first weapon set or stance and 3 for your second and 3 defensive that means you can tech wield all 9 skills at once...? am i not correct

Edited by Buchi1324

• An Ability is something your character can "do" and is directly mapped to a button. You get 9 abilities and will unlock all of them over the course of the game, though you will choose the order you buy them in.
  • A Proficiency is a buff to an Ability. Sometimes proficiencies change the fundamental usage of an ability - for instance, Anjali's Aura of Immolation can be a heavy damage AoE or a very low damage, heavy healing AoE buff depending on how you spend proficiency points. Think of these as customizing abilities.
  • Each ability has two different proficiencies. You can put multiple ranks into any proficiency, but you can spend a maximum of 5 points total, split however you want, on a single ability. So you can buy 5 in the first, 0 in the second, half and half, or all in the second - whatever you want - but you can't max out both proficiencies for any one ability.
  • In addition to only being able to spend 5 points on any one ability, you only get 30 Proficiency points total. So - assuming you spend your points maxing out abilities and don't spread them around - you can only max out 6 abilities on any given playthrough. You can also choose to spread your points around, which is certainly a viable strategy depending on the abilities and character build you're making.
  • In addition to all of this, there are also 10 talents for each character, and each one of those has 5 ranks. You only get 30 points to spend, so you have to make choices as to what you want and don't want, based on your play style.

Here's the full explanation from Nathaniel. So you are right in that all abilities are purchased in the course of the game, but like I said, maxing all of them out is not an option and choices have to be made.

Heja Sverige!!

• An Ability is something your character can "do" and is directly mapped to a button. You get 9 abilities and will unlock all of them over the course of the game, though you will choose the order you buy them in.
  • A Proficiency is a buff to an Ability. Sometimes proficiencies change the fundamental usage of an ability - for instance, Anjali's Aura of Immolation can be a heavy damage AoE or a very low damage, heavy healing AoE buff depending on how you spend proficiency points. Think of these as customizing abilities.
  • Each ability has two different proficiencies. You can put multiple ranks into any proficiency, but you can spend a maximum of 5 points total, split however you want, on a single ability. So you can buy 5 in the first, 0 in the second, half and half, or all in the second - whatever you want - but you can't max out both proficiencies for any one ability.
  • In addition to only being able to spend 5 points on any one ability, you only get 30 Proficiency points total. So - assuming you spend your points maxing out abilities and don't spread them around - you can only max out 6 abilities on any given playthrough. You can also choose to spread your points around, which is certainly a viable strategy depending on the abilities and character build you're making.
  • In addition to all of this, there are also 10 talents for each character, and each one of those has 5 ranks. You only get 30 points to spend, so you have to make choices as to what you want and don't want, based on your play style.

Here's the full explanation from Nathaniel. So you are right in that all abilities are purchased in the course of the game, but like I said, maxing all of them out is not an option and choices have to be made.

When I read it first time, I couldn't make head or tail of it but, after seeing some UI screenshots, I guess I understand it more. Yet I guess I misunderstood talents till I read it again. :lol:

The demo is good but we need

1. Bindable keys

2. Make us target enemies with our mouse (the current targeting system sucks with keyboard/mouse)

3. Option for movement and attack on the same mouse button, DS1/2 style(and pretty much EVERY other hack and slash PC RPG out there)

Click on enemy - attack that enemy

Click on ground - move to spot

Make your other suggestions.

I just clicked on enemies, didn't use the keyboard at all for targeting. Wasn't terribly elegant, but it worked for me.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The game has PC controls.

just because there are actions mapped to keyboard keys doesn't mean there are "keyboard controls."

when we say there aren't: it means there are no "user friendly" keyboard/mouse controls, like the type PC gamers have been using for 20+ years now. the actions need to be customizable since Obsidian has made such terrible choices for default key mappings.

and since this game was designed for consoles/controllers why the hell can't we use PC gamepads with this game? did Microsoft give you guys stock options for only allowing xbox controller use?

OBSIDIAN,

i can't believe you guys (Obsidian) would take such a historical PC great and dumb it down to another "multiplatform" let down. please have some updates in the retail release or patches coming soon after release that fix the horrible key mapping, update the UI menus, and upgrade the graphics.

as of now it looks like a enjoyable game but! the kb/m controls are horrible, they are even beyond logical

I just used xbox controller to play, left analog stick for movement, right analog stick for camera, seems about standard control scheme right?

now over to the kb/m, when wasd, w to go forward, s backward..a and s for turning the camera? what? I mean, come on, even wow players will laugh at keyboard turners!

Or the other option is click to move with NO control over the camera. We can't even tilt the camera up and down like the console players can!

Seriously how hard is it? left analog=movement, right analog for=camera, converts to...wasd=movement, mouse=camera

not rocket science here, obsidian

please fix this and you'll have plenty happy pc gamers

you can turn camera with A & D while using the right mouse button to walk. you can also hold the left ALT button while using right mouse to turn the camera (very slowly) and tilt up and down.

even with these options the key mapping sucks. NEEDS TO BE CUSTOMIZABLE Obsidian!

also needs separate block and dodge keys. needs mouse view camera control option.

needs to be a PC game ported to the consoles, not the other way around.

Are you (Obsidian) going to fix this game for use on the PC or are we just stuck with a "console port" that I can't even use my PC gamepad on?

Don't suggest it because I'm not buying a Xbox 360 controller, I already have a better Saitek gamepad for my PC. Why doesn't the game recognize this gamepad?

We need separate block and dodge keys. We need optional mouse camera control. We need customizable key mapping also because, besides the default movement making my character seem handicapped, F for Equipment, E for Action, and T for Items isn't cutting it.

You could give us some better textures and lighting also, but the game is pretty good looking already.