PC Controls Discussion

(Tigranes: Let's keep all PC controls-related discussion in here for convenience.)

as of now it looks like a enjoyable game but! the kb/m controls are horrible, they are even beyond logical

I just used xbox controller to play, left analog stick for movement, right analog stick for camera, seems about standard control scheme right?

now over to the kb/m, when wasd, w to go forward, s backward..a and s for turning the camera? what? I mean, come on, even wow players will laugh at keyboard turners!

Or the other option is click to move with NO control over the camera. We can't even tilt the camera up and down like the console players can!

Seriously how hard is it? left analog=movement, right analog for=camera, converts to...wasd=movement, mouse=camera

not rocket science here, obsidian

please fix this and you'll have plenty happy pc gamers

Bottom line.

The fact that you just 100% converted a console game on to a PC is Bull.

The fact that you changed way to much to even call this a Dungeon Siege game anymore but still used the name for sales reasons is Cheap!.

The fact that you release a PC Demo and don't even include PC Controls is mind boggling stupid. Did you even have anyone PC test it?!

The Game looks nice and and a lot about the game seems fun but the controls just break it for me. I loved the DSiege games when i was growing up and I'm a little sad you killed the series. I would be willing to look past it but you can't even make a damn pc version for christ sakes.

I really appreciate you guys releasing the demo because I would have been REALLY mad if I had spent the $50 on it.

My 2 Cents

Fix the Controls and I'll buy it.

No Pidesco it doesn't. Just because you can play it with a Keyboard and mouse does not mean it has controls for them.

A and D Turn your Character and do not strafe. The right mouse button does not move the camera instead it moves your character to the cursor.

Your forced to be a keyboard turner. anyone that knows his **** about games knows hows frustrating keyboard turning is.

Edited by Breedon

The game has PC controls.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

and I'm a little sad you killed the series

Oh no, Obsidian is the new Bethesda! :>

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

The game has PC controls.

Are you talking about the Demo or the Retail because as far as I could tell I could not re map my keys.

Having A and D turn my character instead of strafing means its made for a controller.

and seeing as they don't use the "click on the bad guy to attack the bad guy" anymore there is no reason to have right click move the character anymore unless its just more movement keyed to a controller joystick.

No there is no PC controls for the Demo

and I'm a little sad you killed the series

Oh no, Obsidian is the new Bethesda! :>

I must admit it is a rather amusing turn of events.

It's hilarious. Watching the obs fans hold the line against the old school purists.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

The fun bit for me is that the old school purists are defending a game noted for the dumbing down and streamlining against dumbing down.

Heja Sverige!!

PC Controls are Game Breaking!

Uhm, no?

WASD for movement, your thumb is on the SPACE bar, and you have any other important key like switching stances, using abilities etc. in close proximity of your left hand.

Basically, it's the same control scheme as almost every other RPG uses.

Umm No!! Left hander dude that crap doesn

The fun bit for me is that the old school purists are defending a game noted for the dumbing down and streamlining against dumbing down.

Comments like this coming from a moderator to me is pretty insulting. You guys are supposed to be neutral here and be a little more open minded about the concerns of others. From what I

Dungeon Siege was noted at the time of release for being dumbed down compared to previous RPGs. People complaining that the game played itself was common. Now, in this forum, plenty of people since the release of the demo have been complaining that Dungeon Siege 3 dumbed down things compared to the originals. I find that amusing.

Now, regarding your control issues, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be customizable controls in every game. I especially understand how it is a big problem for people who are left handed. However that doesn't mean that aren't any PC controls in this DS3. It just means you don't like the controls and would like to see them changed.

Heja Sverige!!

Dungeon Siege was noted at the time of release for being dumbed down compared to previous RPGs. People complaining that the game played itself was common. Now, in this forum, plenty of people since the release of the demo have been complaining that Dungeon Siege 3 dumbed down things compared to the originals. I find that amusing.

Now, regarding your control issues, I wholeheartedly agree that there should be customizable controls in every game. I especially understand how it is a big problem for people who are left handed. However that doesn't mean that aren't any PC controls in this DS3. It just means you don't like the controls and would like to see them changed.

Personally I never once heard anything remotely similar about this being a dumbed down RPG. Secondly, while I

Edited by dark

[..]

The fact that you release a PC Demo and don't even include PC Controls is mind boggling stupid. Did you even have anyone PC test it?!

[..]

No Pidesco it doesn't. Just because you can play it with a Keyboard and mouse does not mean it has controls for them.

A and D Turn your Character and do not strafe. The right mouse button does not move the camera instead it moves your character to the cursor.

Your forced to be a keyboard turner. anyone that knows his **** about games knows hows frustrating keyboard turning is.

Agreed. I really like the game, judging from the demo, but the controls are a disappointment.

Bottom line.

The fact that you changed way to much to even call this a Dungeon Siege game anymore but still used the name for sales reasons is Cheap!.

The Game looks nice and and a lot about the game seems fun but the controls just break it for me. I loved the DSiege games when i was growing up and I'm a little sad you killed the series. I would be willing to look past it but you can't even make a damn pc version for christ sakes.

I really appreciate you guys releasing the demo because I would have been REALLY mad if I had spent the $50 on it.

My 2 Cents

I have to agree with everything OP writes here.

So many good games is ruined by bad controls/camera movement. (many games do get fixed with patches though!)

If the controls in Dungeon Siege 3 is not made better for pc players, then that is the reason I will not buy and play this game.

Trying to control camera rotation with the keyboard was a nightmare. When the player run up on the screen the camera rotates one direction, but if you run downward on screen the camera starts rotating the other way.

Now that is one nice way to make any game confusing and annoying to play.

The demo was very nice in most other ways. Looks like a fun game!

Trying to control camera rotation with the keyboard was a nightmare. When the player run up on the screen the camera rotates one direction, but if you run downward on screen the camera starts rotating the other way.

Now that is one nice way to make any game confusing and annoying to play.

Disabling the camera auto-orient and moving with the right mb was the way I was able to play the demo a bit. But I do have to add my voice to the hordes complaining about the mouse + kb controls. They truly are quite horrible! I played some of the demo, but I quit after arriving in the village. I had just spent several seconds trying to pick up an item from the ground, just baffled at how miserable an experience it was.

Later I decided to see if I could get my PS3 dualshock to work in Windows. I did manage to, even found a x360 controller emulator for it, and I just had to try how horrible the demo would be with a controller. The difference is huge. Even the abysmal distance for picking up items almost made sense! Which makes the fact how horrible the m+kb controls are even more insulting.

Honestly, simply by allowing A and D to be strafe and switching camera to mouselook the controls would be so much better. Probably all the way to usable. Personally I'd prefer a Diablo 1/2 -like click to move.

Still, all in all, a pretty horrible job on the controls. And no option to configure them? Sigh.

EDIT: Forgot to add somewhere there that dodging is horrible with the right mouse movement thingy, since dodging requires you to move your mouse away from the enemy you're attacking, which, for me at least, always resulted in always fumbling either the dodge or subsequent attacks. And with the keys you can only dodge back and forward. So you either choose with not moving sideways and not dodging properly (wasd-movement/turning) or you use the (for me) un-intuitive right mouse move which also means fumbling dodges.

Edited by Uniikki

Some observations:

1) WASD sucks at picking up items because you need to face the right way as well as be really really close. Similar problem to Divinity 2. Holding right click is much better and lets you pick up the loot relatively painlessly.

2) If right click movement makes your camera go wacky, combine A+D (pan) with right click movement. For me it's become pretty easy to just move around WASD then use the right click when necessary, i.e. loot, or when WASD gets your character confused.

3) WASD dodging works OK, you just need to pan around a lot as you do so. Here, again, I tend to mix & match.

Controls definitely aren't good, but they aren't unplayable - played the demo twice now and I've gotten used to it. (Although, what's the key for the power-up?)

Comments like this coming from a moderator to me is pretty insulting. You guys are supposed to be neutral here and be a little more open minded about the concerns of others. From what I

Bottom line.

My 2 Cents

They are fine really, I remember Mass Effect for PC by the time I played 5 minutes of the game I was used to the controls it's hardly a game breaker,well unless your not even willing to learn a simple thing like controls.

Bottom line.

My 2 Cents

They are fine really, I remember Mass Effect for PC by the time I played 5 minutes of the game I was used to the controls it's hardly a game breaker,well unless your not even willing to learn a simple thing like controls.

...Or are left handed. =P

Hopefully they will release a patch later that will allow people to change their key bindings...

Edited by hopfrog16